Oil level | FerrariChat

Oil level

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by roger21, Jun 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Hello all!

I know it is supposed to be checked when engine is hot, but what do you read on the dipstick when it’s cold before starting it for its weekend trip??

Thanks!!

2. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I guess as long as its somewhere between min and max you'd be ok!

3. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Thanks Graham, I agree but I was wondering about the difference between the hot and cold level...

4. CARUSO

CARUSO Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Hi Roger, normally the level of the oil must to be checked 15 minutes after stopping the engine as seen on the repair manual.

5. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Hello Caruso and thank you!
    As writen in my first post I know that.
    Just wanted to know which other may observe between hot and cold level, that’s all...

6. CARUSO

CARUSO Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    When the engine is cold the level must be at the maximum on the dipstick

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hi Stèphane,

I don't think it's easy to measure any significant cold-hot difference in oil level on these engines. They have a substantial and wide wet sump with probably 15 litres at full level - the rest of the 2-3 litres will be dispersed around in oil passages/cooler/filters. Engine oil generally expands about 4% for every 38 dgr.C (100 dgr.F) so the difference in volume between oil at 20 dgr.C and 100 dgr.C would be about 8%.

If you measure the distance between min-max on the dipstick and take 8% of that you might get 3mm of difference on the stick :)

Schumi likes this.
  8. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Easiest way to figure it out is check it cold, then check it after its warm as per manual. Compare difference. If low, top off to proper level, check it next morning cold.

I wouldnt worry about starting it if your not sure if its high enough unless you see nothing on the dipstick, or a huge pool of oil on the floor.

Min oil level is really for hard driving in corners, high rpm. For starting and idling and easy driving, being on the low side shouldnt be 'risky' for starting and warming up.

9. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Hi gentlemen!

Got my answer!
    My thoughts were: warm level should be higher than cold due to the oil expansion brilliantly and accurately described by Arvid :)
    But even after a 20 minutes stop allowing oil to get back down to the sump, I have got a lower level when warm, hence my askings...

So next to maximum when cold looks like a nice idea.

Thanks again!!