Oil pan for 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS - where can I find one? | FerrariChat

Oil pan for 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS - where can I find one?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Joe328fwtx, Apr 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe328fwtx

Joe328fwtx Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Shelton
    Please help!
    My oil pan is leaking and needs either repair or replacement. I have a local machine shop that can make the repair, and the exact estimate is not back yet, but it will not be cheap. Does anyone know of an oil pan for sale anywhere?
    All leads and assistance very much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Joe
    1987 Ferrari 328 GTS
    Fort Worth, TX

PS - I have searched ebay and google and have emailed a number of parts dealers. So far nothing :(
    PPS - yes my local ferrari dealer is aware of this. They cannot find a replacement oil pan either.
    PPPS - this same question was posted several years ago, with no solid answer:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/wanted-oil-pan-for-a-87-328-gts.584230/

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    There is one on eBay at this moment for ~$600.

3. Joe328fwtx

Joe328fwtx Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Shelton
  4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    No the 348 is longitudinal and very different sump. Why is yours leaking? Cracked? stripped threads? leaking at gasket? A weld, helicoil the threads, or extra selant on the gasket (partially tighten until cured, then tighten) should be much cheaper than another sump.

5. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You can fix a lot on yours for what another one will cost.

Did you try Ricambi, GT Car Parts, T Rutlands, Ferrparts?

Are you in need of the transmission pan or the engine oil pan?

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hope you got my PM.

FWIW, I've faced a somewhat similar repair in the past....which was far cheaper than replacing the part. The end result was also quite professional and satisfactory. If I didn't point it out to you, you would likely not notice it. So... choose your solution carefully.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    That is for very early cars only. The 328 not long after introduction went to a pan with a round depression and an extended oil pick up pipe. It was to improve oil starvation in right hand turns and did little to improve that but an early pan will not fit a late pick up tube.

It happened at eng # 1391 in Europe and 685 in the USA according to the parts books...whenever that is.

That would be around 65xxx VIN. That is around June 86.

All that aside, I'd fix the one I had.

11. Joe328fwtx

Joe328fwtx Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Shelton
    UPDATE:

I called multiple parts shops, and was unable to find a replacement oil pan for my 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS. As mentioned above, the earlier pan (the "308 pan") has a flat bottom. The updated "328 pan" has a round depression and extended oil pick up pipe. I found multiple sources for the "308 pan," including a brand new pan, but no sources for the "328 pan."

The underlying reason for the leak was repeated over-tightening of the drain plug on the drain pan. The leak was around the drain plug and prior repair in that area. The leaking had been repaired in the past such that it was beyond the capabilities of my local shop.

So my shop pulled the pan and sent it to a local machine shop for repair. They installed a Big-Sert thread kit (or similar). I have had no leaking since, and have been pleased withe the repair. Oil temp and pressure appears normal.

On a side note, Nick Forza (http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/) was very helpful in sorting all this out, and I very much appreciate his help, as well as members from this site.

See photos below of my oil pan, which is the updated "328 pan."

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login