OK, non believers ! | FerrariChat

OK, non believers !

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, Nov 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am working on this 355 whose last engine out service was less than 4 years ago. The timing belts had 2013 date codes and looked very good. But, look at the tensioner. This car is a few hundred miles from total disaster.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Stock tensioner yes? i.e., not an upgraded Hill unit?
    And what's the non-believer part? Everyone pretty much says it's the tensioners that's more important these days....and those parts should be upgraded for higher quality units.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    So a lot of us have been saying that it's not the belt, or their stretching, that you need to worry about when you stick to a 5 year service interval. It's everything else !!!

Wade likes this.
  5. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That looks like terrible workmanship and a non Hill Tensioner(?). Someone should have been hearing something if it was that bad? But glad you caught it none-the-less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's the non-believers that keep saying they will drive their cars for 10 years since the belts never stretch. On this car, the tensioner arms on which the bearings are mounted were frozen stiff, not moving at all. Another six years on those? I don' t think so.

f355spider likes this.
  7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My car has OEM tensioners. 6 years since replacement and all is well. Look pretty obvious that this car's last service was less than awesome. On my 95 the tensioner pivots where also frozen. Root cause not determined as my crystal ball cannot provide the data.

That should be the topic of the thread.

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Each case is different.

If you want to paint every situation with the same brush, then we can use Ernie as an example and say that he drove 9.5 years of HO driving without a belt service

Dave rocks likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm going to add, Mitch: this thread is about to be the best Entertainment JohnK has had in a while. He must be asleep right now, look forward to the awakening. :D ;) :cool:

BOKE, ernie and tatry68 like this.
  10. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Glad you caught it before badness ensued Mitchell! Any idea how many miles/years on the bearings? Most certainly they weren't changed with the belts 4 years ago. Given that the tensioner arms were frozen one would presume that those weren't touched 4 years ago either. As they say, . . . the Devil is in the details

BOKE, Pangea and Dave rocks like this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I did not do the last major so I cannot tell how old the bearing was. There are more issues but let's not get into bashing the mechanic at this point. You 355 owners out there, either you do your own work or find someone that really knows a 355.

Beetle likes this.
  12. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Dose anyone know what service interval Hiils Engineering recommend for their tensioner bearings?

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #13 johnk..., Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Yawn.

If you open enough oysters you eventually find a pearl.

Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you're always afraid

In all seriousness, happy for the owner that this will be corrected. But it doesn't represent the typical situation.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    But Mitch, bashing the mechanic is exactly what you are doing.

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The issue is the tensioner not the belt which this post underscores. Additionally there is no assurance those tensioners are not 20 years old and were never even inspected given the work with the gaskets that was done I suspect they were never done.

We all know tensioners need to be upgraded period. THEN inspected at service. You did that and you caught an issue which was almost certainly a low ball job at an indie bmw service facility previously.

Good job catching it and posting it!

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Ok, bearing age in unknown. What was the mileage at the last major and what is it now?

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    If this had a -major 4 years ago and now has frozen tensioners and disintegrating/original bearings I would say it didn't get a major, it got a belt swap.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    To my knowledge they don't provide this data or any testing data to support the claim that these are better bearings. My gut tells me they are, but it would be nice to have data that supports it. Currently they are more cost effective than OEM so that's a benefit right off the bat :)

I would think after installing them, the next service they could be inspected. When bearings start to go, you can feel issues even when rotating by hand.

Mbutner and Rifledriver like this.
  19. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Ok. After asking Hills they say to follow the manufacturers recommended intervals for replacement.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I'll say it loud and clear. Best to leave things to those experienced.

Absolutely atrocious work on the car. Whoever did it don't quit your day job.

I say that in all kindness :)

xo

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, at least it looks like the valve covers were nicely painted. Surely a sign of experience. :D

22. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Shocking. Standard practise to replace the tensioner when doing the belts.

Even more shocking is all that sealant. What muppet did that. Sure fire recipie to get done stuck in an oil way and blow your engine up!

Still you caught it and can now do it properly.

Bertil likes this.
  23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, NTN makes the bearings for Hill so you would think Hill would provide the recommendation. Prior to the "every 3 years on belts" Ferrari (I believe) specified 15K for "major" service intervals so I suppose we are to use that?

24. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It doesn't look like that car has has been driven much since its last major. The valve cover paint looks new, and you still can read the name on the belts.
    My hunch is the car sat a lot in the past 4 year, and I think that could have contributed to the bearing disintegrating.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  25. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My 348 has had only one belt service in 26 years, but then again it only has 1900 miles on it. I have it serviced every two years and quite honestly the technician doesn’t think it’s necessary to do the belt service. Even the first one 10 years ago, according to the technician, probably wasn’t absolutely necessary.

Volair likes this.