Old Ford GT40 targa seen at Monterey (in red) | FerrariChat

Old Ford GT40 targa seen at Monterey (in red)

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Sep 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was walking through the pits at Laguna Seca and I saw a red
    Ford GT40 spyder with the number 1 in the roundel. I told the mechanic that Steele Therkelson, a mechanic on that car back int he Shelby days, told me he saw it cut up and thrown into a hole to please customs since Shelby or Ford didn't want to pay customs duty. The mechanic said it was cut up but not buried. I don't think the customs man would have been happy with that. So am I seeing a replica that nobody wants to believe is a replica. I think the value differance would be about $10 million for the real one and $200,000 for a replica. If it was a replica I am disappointed the Rolex Reunion or whatever would allow it to race against real cars

jamesdouglas1436 and of2worlds like this.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It is true a lot of replicas are out there and that has to be one of them. Maybe they found a gas cap and built the car up around it :). I guess if you let Stirling Moss types drive your real car it will mostly be a rebuilt replica after he crashes it( Laguna Seca DBR1 crash wich I saw happen) :)

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Didn't Phil Hill crashed Lou's yellow Testa Rossa one year to...