On this day in F1 history | FerrariChat

On this day in F1 history

Discussion in 'F1' started by classic308, Aug 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Niki had his massive accident in 1976; it no doubt cost him the WDC but that is irrelevant as it showed his determination not only to live but too succeed on and off the track.

A special shout out to Harald Ertl and Brett Lunger. Seeing Lauda in trouble, both drivers - along with Guy Edwards and Arturo Merzario, who’d stopped to assist - helped extract Lauda from his burning car, an act of bravery that almost certainly helped save his life.

Last time an F1 race was held at the old Ring. Moved to Hockenheim in 77.....

stavura, 05011994, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    When people talk about a come back story - Niki Lauda is THE poster boy for comebacks. Not just once but twice!

That he almost died after the Nurburgring shunt, but was still leading the championship going into the last race in Japan is an amazing story. I never really thought James Hunt was that great a driver and I still think he was ultimately lucky, Lauda was one of the greatest drivers ever. probably the most determined ever to race.

Sadly - he was also a pretty difficult person to be around. not exactly warm and open he never the less was a remarkable person. After Jackie Stewart I put Niki Lauda as the second most influential driver in F-1. From the tenacity of sticking with driving, but also to how he turned driving from a sport to a job and made it more professional with health and fitness along with the business aspect of driver market values etc... That combined with starting several airlines that were ultimately sold for way more than they were started... he was an excellent example of determination and drive overcoming adversity.

stavura, 05011994, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I saw a short interview of Lauda some time ago - In Depth Graham Bensinder- "Niki Lauda: I have no friends." - and found it very interesting.
    Niki talked about his loneliness in life, and his wish to keep it that way; something that struck a chord with my own character.

Also, Niki related an incident where he was blackmailed by an airline collaborator and finished by dumping him out of his car.
    I like that No-nonsense attitude.
    I had a similar experience once, when I threw my boss out of my car after a confrontation we had as I was taking him to the airport !
    I remember the look on his face as I left him stranded on the motorway!

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, that's a very difficult one, Tom. Obviously Niki and James were not of the same calibre...and one achieved much more than the other, that's granted.
    BUT that being said...James rose to the challenge that year; it was perhaps the single occasion he would have had, and he didn't let it go. So...
    I stille remember that year and that season better than any other, just as it happened yesterday.

Rgds

william likes this.
  5. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Did you keep your job ?

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

No, but that was no big deal.