One Click Blunder | FerrariChat

One Click Blunder

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Subito Grigio, Nov 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I could be wrong - I'm sitting here thinking back over 15 years of owning '83 Mondial; and I haven't tested the following theory:

From all FChat (your) comments over the years - it is pretty clear these 30+ year-old cars tend NOT to have cold start problems.

It is also pretty clear that many tend to have freaky, unpredictable, and sometimes embarrassing hot start problems.

(It probably takes 3 hours for a warmed-up engine to get fully "cold" again.). OK - 2 hours; OK - 1 hour; whatever. It is too long to sit there and wait!

I know, I know - accumulator... fuse box ... fuel pump ... etc., etc.

I think each of us MUST understand that the fuel system is in a completely different posture when warmed up then when cold.

One Click Blunder: (A concept). I just walked out of a restaurant and now get into my Mondial (or 308). The car, of course, is warmed up even though I was eating for an hour. I put the key in the ignition. ((This is the typical "hot start" moment.))

Wait. Wait. Think! Human Behavior may be part of the reason for the hot start debacle.

Do not turn that key at all.

1. The engine is probably already primed.
    2. If I turn the key to the first Click the fuel pump immediately begins trying to shove more fuel into the system.

(So if I turn the key that first Click out of habit - then I comb my hair or plug in my cell phone, or just because I unconsciously turn it before I fasten my seat belt - I've probably let the fuel pump push fuel for ten seconds....)

My point is - don't do that!

Think - when you get in a warm Mondial with a history of intermittent hot start issues: "I don't want a hot start problem."

Instead - get everything else ready (seat belt, chatting, hair, etc.), then put key in ignition and turn moderately quick to/through the first Click to second position START.

The starter will turn, and the engine, I think, will have a much better chance to actually catch and start.

Further, you may have to quickly give it some gas pedal when it is catching; then the engine may run rough for a few seconds; then she is fine.

I AM NOT completely sure this will work because my car is starting and running well - but I'm thinking hard about the times I had the hot start problem.

Certainly can't hurt to try changing human behavior regarding the One Click Blunder.

OK! Let the FChat beatings begin!!

Ciao!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app