One of the reasons why I love the 250LM ... | FerrariChat

One of the reasons why I love the 250LM ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PSk, Jun 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What a car ... and this was against the mighty Ford GT40, the Ferrari P2's, 275GTB/C's and I guess the Ford Daytona Coupe.

Okay the P2 was pretty damn successful too, but it was not a road car ;)

Pete

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Utter nonsense.

The 250 LM was not homologated by the FIA because Ferrari claimed that it was an evolution of the front-engined GTO. Even the ACI, the Italian member club of the FIA, couldn't agree to this, leading to a feud and Ferrari refusing to paint the F1 cars in Italian colors toward the end of the 1964 season. (The 158s were painted blue and white and entered by NART for the U.S. and Mexican Grands Prix, although fully staffed by factory mechanics.)

Ferrari and the ACI and FIA were already at odds, as Ferrari had a habit of agreeing to build a certain number of cars for homologation, and not doing it. Calling the 3.3 liter LM a 250 (only the first car had a 3 liter engine) just added more fuel to the fire.

It's hard to claim that the 250 LM was the most successful endurance racer, either. It had one LeMans win; the rest are minor races. The 250 TR was vastly better (multiple LeMans and Sebring wins, as well as many other races); for that matter, the 333 SP has a good endurance record although no overall LM wins.

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I have to agree with Old Guy. The 250LM was a pure prototype racer despite Ferraris somewhat typical efforts to play games and/or attempt to bully the organizers into accepting it as a production varient. Also dont forget it won Leman because most of the competition broke. Certainly Gregory and Rindt were not expecting a shot at victory. The story goes that Gregory was so pissed at being given the 250LM rather than one of the faster/newer prototypes that got Rindt to agree to drive the thing flat out in sprint race fashion figuring the car would soon fail and they could relax rather than wasting their time. Of coarse the car did not fail and they won..... which is a great story (even though I have read its been embellished and is suspect) and shines a good light on the 250LM.

The 250TR series was indeed a far more successful endurance racer. I think arguements could also be made for the 335S/410S series of cars. THe Mille Miglia was a pretty big event in those days too....

Terry

4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I agree with old guy's version of history, but I still think the 250 and 275LMs are amongst the best looking Ferraris ever.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep agree with all of that and yep knew exactly why the 250LM was never homologated as Enzo wanted ... just another error on that site fill of many, many errors ... but that does not stop the LM looking far better than the ugly TR (especially the last series) and the engine is in the right place and we have all independent suspension, and the early P series up to the P3 looked like somebody had vomited and pushed it all together and made a car ... puting a roof on it and getting Pininfarina's help made a huge difference.

Now ofcourse looks are subjective :D, but I just like the fact the LM looks so bloody good and has a great racing record. Better racing record than the GTO IMO.

The 206s has a great racing record too, but to me it does not quite hold that magic.

Pete