One off Ghibli V8 4v cylinder head | FerrariChat

One off Ghibli V8 4v cylinder head

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ferraripilot, Feb 12, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I learned of a one-off Ghibli made for an Italian customer with 4v cylinder heads. Truly fascinating find that Maserati could prototype such a development and use it only once. Anyone know more about this? I only have this photo

Image Unavailable, Please Login

S_AGATA and Oishi like this.
  2. Oishi

Oishi Rookie

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ed
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #3 Nembo1777, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    NOT made for a client.

The factory produced it in their small but very reactive and fertile R & D dept and CHOSE a well known client who was willing to be a guinea pig and drive it extensively.

It was NOT ordered by a client.

When researching the one off "SSS" special Ghibli SS AM115-1726 made for the young VIP client, heir and Thepenier Maserati France financial backer Philippe Cornet Epinat, I found factory correspondence stating no, we will produce a more powerful engine for you as a special order but the four valve is NOT available to you.

The last word, you, kiddo, was omitted because he was important but that was the gist of the letter.

The factory did not pursue 4 valve development after that.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  4. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Superb, thank you Marc! I am surprised Bertocchi did not insist on it being his personal car to drive around as the guinea pig

5. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Ok I am finding some previous discussion of this one adding some info. It appears 1726 a may not have had the 4v head, or maybe it did for a short time and was removed after it failed. Fabio doesn't have much clarifying info but the 'SSS' badge and triple pipe exhaust is certainly a neat addition.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6 Nembo1777, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    Hello John,

Thank you for your post.

I clearly wrote that Frenchman Philippe Cornet Epinat asked for a 4 valve head since he was well informed and knew that they were experimenting with that but that the factory said no; 1926 never ever had a 4 valve head, not for one second.

It was a local Italian client (NOT Cornet Epinat) who got the 4 valve head ON ANOTHER GHIBLI since they knew him well and he was a good enough driver as well as technically savvy enough that he would be a good (and free!) test driver. I did not investigate which car had that head as I was focusing on my article on 1726. FYI I wrote a very comprehensive eleven page article on 1726, the car nicknamed Ghibli SSS in Octane magazine issue #183 about five years ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

S_AGATA and Ferraripilot like this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Typo above, 1726 is what I meant to write, not 1926.

8. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Thank you! Treasure of knowledge here