430 - Only Manual Scuderia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Only Manual Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by FerrariFR33458, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Best post EVER on this topic :)

f355spider likes this.
  2. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Again, We have you down as a “no” on the stick shift conversion. Some see it as an improvement, some don’t. It’s no big deal. Congratulations on your F40.

3. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I'm I the only one that finds it fishy that this guy who did the conversion said it will bring a million bucks at auction - takes it to said auction and it hammers at $220K and HE IS THE HIGHEST BIDDER? That mean's that no one wanted to buy the car! He was bidding up the auction!

FerRrari likes this.
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Do we know that for fact yet? Just looks suspicious at this point. I think we should be careful with the accusations, until it is known as fact.

5. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Well, the guy that is selling the car that is currently on Autotrader is Art Bartosik. The same person that did this conversion according to the EAG website:

European Auto Group (EAG) owner Art Bartosik will do this extraordinary job with his own hands. The stakes could not be higher.

The entire underbody carriage and drivetrain will be removed. The frame will be riddled with new bolt holes and reshaped to house the new parts. One wrong cut or one wrong hole will render the car useless. The parts are irreplaceable. The computer must be reprogrammed. A single small mistake could cost everything.

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Okay, didn't know it was confirmed who the Autotrader seller was...it wasn't clear in the ad.

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    So is the highly coveted and desired manual 991.2 GT3 a poser? Has 15 less Hp, 150 pounds heavier, revs to 9,000 rpm , but yet significantly faster than a Scud... but offered in a manual. Think about that for a second.

Track time is nice and all, but the experience is equally important. Some find it more rewarding to challenge themselves with a manual versus easy shifting of a paddle. However, if you’re “racing” then you want every edge possible. Most are content with an enjoyable street and track experience and not necessarily the fastest lap times. I’m sure you didn’t buy an F40 for the fastest lap time.

The only thing special about the Scud’s Superfast2 compared to Ferrari’s modern dual-clutch systems is that it “feels” like a manual during shifts. Ironic.

nicholasn, INTMD8 and brookliner7 like this.
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Any reason why these guys haven’t posted a proper video of the drive? Something tells me the conversion isn’t working as it should.

Dave rocks likes this.
  10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It's factory, not a conversion

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The discussion wasn’t about factory or not. The discussion was if a manual in Scuderia is appropriate or a “pose.”

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Ferraris are about enjoyment. For me financial appreciation is also a factor.
    If you want a race car buy a race car (BTW REAL race cars dont have doors ;) ).
    If someone finds joy in a manual Scud good for him/her.
    Personally I wouldn't do it because it would screw the resale which I cant justify.

But look at Singer.
    Their mods have created a whole new industry.
    IMO modding a Ferrari is looked down on excessively.
    Its something we need to get over.

one4torque likes this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Incorrect. The discussion was about various topics, including the post you quote, and factory or not, and value of a conversion. The original poster didn't use any words apart from posting the link. So it's up to all of us to interpret the discussion. My contribution is to make the point that, while the conversion didn't sell for as much as I would have expected, Ferrrari conversions are generally not valued by the market, whether it's Daytona Spiders or recent manuals, however well they are done. People like me who would have jumped on a factory manual Scud then stay away because we don't know what the value is - 220k USD sounds like a bargain but it's a one off in the US, and I am not there. Whoever is considering the 389k price will inevitably and reasonably consider resale.

I would personally pay 400k USD for a manual 16M as that would seem a reasonable markup over my gated 430 Spider, but there's nothing reasonable about Ferraris.

What's sure is that if the factory had made a handful of manual Scuds and 16Ms they would be selling for more than half a million each, looking at the price of gated 575 HGTC and 599s provides enough evidence. F1 599 also had superfast F1 gearshift, like Scud, which you can now buy for less than 100k GBP, not valued by current market.

RedNeck likes this.
  14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    only partially.
    the manual scud is not factory, and will likely only be used for posing.

our opinions differ on the enjoyment in either guise.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Incorrect. I was responding to these comments specifically, which for the most part infers there’s no valid reason for a manual Scud, from the factory or not.

“nope. no desire whatsoever to own this car, even if it had been made by the factory.

to me, this car is like having a brand new laptop, but hooking it up to a CRT screen; or installing a modern kitchen but continuing to use a woodfired oven for everything.
    the manual gearbox is an anachronism.
    a car as competent and powerful as the scud is correctly matched with the f1 gearbox of that generation which already changes gears in about 100 milliseconds.
    its supposed to be a street legal track car, and therefore it should be optimized for the track, not for posing.”

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    As with all these threads on gated Vs flappy paddles it's gone waaay off the rails.

People have such strong opinions it clouds their own good judgement.

Never would I consider that a track focused car would require flappy paddles to not be a "pose". Is the Carerra GT a pose? What about the R34 Nissan GT-R or the F50 / F40 ? All poses cars that shouldn't be used on the track? Didn't think so and neither is a F131 chassis based car with a power to weight ratio of a 458. I've got exactly the same power ratio with my gated 360 and it's an absolute pleasure to drive aggressively on the track, very little can keep up in the Twisties and it only give up room on the straights to cars with 50% more power ..

The 430 Scuderia is simply put a F131 evolved chassis car with some weight stripped, special carbon garnishes and around 550 ish hp, it's easily drivable without requiring a computer to do shifting on your behalf and can be more challenging and therefore more rewarding to some drivers who like to shift with a gated box. It's that simple. Doesn't matter to me whether I'm loosing a few 10ths on one shift or another, hell just add more power or subtract some more weight to make up the defecit and get cars performance either as quick as a paddles car or even faster (sticker tires, more aggressive geo, sports cats, etc). Easy enough to accomplish.

Overall I like to have a mix of both types of car in my collection and let the mood take me about which I'd rather drive on a chosen day. My McLaren has 700+ hp with dual clutch instantaneous shifts yet my 360 is more engaging and emotional to drive. Both require different things from the driver and both are A star driving experiences. Just because I like one doesn't mean I have to hate the other...

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Exactly!

I do get Ken's point that some cars are just better with paddleshift. I have a 720S this week for review and I'm not sure I'd want a manual version. But a Scuderia, for sure, which is the topic here.

What I don't get is how a stick shift can be a pose. It's not like you can see it from outside the car.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I find the constant statement "manuals are more engaging" to be hilarious IMO. I love the F1 and a gated car. Different experience but an F1 is far from "less engaging"

The only reason for this gated craze is rarity. If F1's were more rare, everyone would be talking about them being better ;)

I wonder if Formula One drivers don't feel engaged? :D

bzubi likes this.
  19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Obviously never learned to heel and toe...

one4torque likes this.
  20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I sure did. In 95 I did a formula racing school in which I was able to practice the technique and get quite good at it :)

21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    #46 one4torque, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Ironic people don’t find street cars w f1 shifting a pose....... formula 1 shifter on the street is more pose than a manual on a track... just saying

——- dons flame retardant hoodie——. :)

Agree a current super car would be a tough sell w gated.. the new tech countinues to improve each year w more gears and invisible shift points that no human could match.

However- Having a gated trans in a 20 yr old variant keeps the car relevant vs what some (not me) would consider a rather outdated auto experience when compared to the new ‘insert super car name’...

22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I wouldn't say it's just rarity. I enjoy the manual transmission. For example, I just flew out and drove 1200 miles just to buy a low mileage Buick Regal GS with manual tranny. If I hadn't been able to find my gated 360 in the price range I was willing to pay, I would have just chosen not to own a Ferrari. I had no desire for an F1.

In the case of the Scud, the only basis for doing it was nobody else had tried. Probably a reason for that. It was a purpose built car that never came with a gated setup for a reason.

ross likes this.
  23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    looks like this car is getting some vlog exposure..... normal guy sc review coming...... hopefully will get some track exposure too...... would be cool to A-B the gated scud, and an F1 430 of scud to compare......

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You are right, Art is still driving and promoting the car on YouTube. New post this weekend:

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so all of you guys that love it.....whats your bid then?

rennspeed likes this.