Opening Pandora's Box | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opening Pandora's Box

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, May 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Unless I'm mistaken; that might be helpful suggestion to 206/246 owners, [again, unless I'm mistaken] as fuel starvation can occur during turns.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm not sure if the street Dino's are susceptible to this. Part of it is caused by wide tires and high speed turns especially banking. The fuel can always has a liter of pressurized fuel available should the fuel tank/pickup/system loose flow.

Best

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    my 246 gts has a fuel problem. it is only really noticable when making a sharp right turn at speed and with the gas take way less than half full.

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes this is what our system deals with. You always have enough fuel to get you through the turn and allow fuel to slosh back to the pick up. Many carburetted race cars have this problem and this is the solution.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i would call them "Modular Modifications". :)

great concept, i say whatever bring YOU the most smiles.

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Many years ago at the FOC Virginia City Hillclimb there were comments about Dinos starving in some of the corners. The alledged solution was to be power on for the apex.

Jeff

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    yes, but this isn't a practical solution, as by the time you realise the problem, the dino is dead

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #33 tx246, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    i have only experienced when making sharp right turns, lefts seem to be fine. have i just been lucky or is it a right turn occurance?

damn POS dino's!!!!! if only they were real ferrari's, we wouldn't have to deal with this non-sense!!!

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Keep in mind your engine is transverse and mine is longitudinal but this is the fix. Interesting my 412P and P 3/4 both have this system in place originally.

We're testing on Saturday before shipping to the Targa and will report how it works.

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I'm not surprised my road dino has the same problem, but if the p's are experiencing the same problem - i am astounded ferrari hadn't tested/experienced this at production

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They likely did and fixed it back then in the race cars the same way we are. Remember while this was a race chassis/engine/gearbox it was simply thrown together and shipped off to PF to build a show car on top of. Ferrari splashed red paint on the water and oil bearing chassis tubes so PF wouldn't drill into them to mount the body. It's chassis (Likely 034) was never raced and it's engine seems to be a prototype engine with an ACO stamp likely out of a different car that DNF'ed at Le Mans in 66 due to fuel starvation? :)