OPs with low posts selling cars | FerrariChat

OPs with low posts selling cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by absostone, Aug 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    how do you guys feel about Posters with really low posts selling cars on fchat?

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    seems okay to me, I think the most important thing is everyone does their due diligence on any car.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I agree. For some reason to me I feel more comfortable when someone has at least 300/400 posts. But that’s not to say you couldn’t get duped anyways

randkin likes this.
  4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    yeah.... all things being equal I'd rather buy from someone with > 500 posts

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes. I get the feeling sometimes that a op could dump a car on us

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So someone posts across the country for a car that you have interest in,, how is true due diligence done? Go there and see it? And schedule a ppi where you know no one? Just trying to understand how it’s done

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I have over 7000 posts, but have very little interest in my for sale ad.

Jakuzzi, davemqv and Texas Forever like this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    My friend im talkn about guys that show up with 20 posts and wanna sell a 100k car. As we both know Gt4s are for special people that can see through the its a non Ferrari Crap. I cant wait for you to sell it for top $$

Dom likes this.
  9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Sometimes.

Sometimes guys crossover from Pelican or Rennlist or like forums, just to pop in and post a car or ad for sale.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yea I can see that. But that's what I mean , I would rather take a chance buying a car from you with 3k plus posts VS. some guy with 10. But yea it dosent mean things will be perfect either way . And Ive seen lots of cars sold here where the buyer is happy with the transaction either way. I haven't bought a car private owner since 2001 when I got my GT4, so im curious how its done, and how it looks to Fchatters when a first post is Gimme a 100k

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think it is alright but I would be far more cautious with a low poster (especially a first time poster) as it seems a bit more opportunistic. I guess there seems to be a higher comfort factor with folks with several hundred posts over a few years as less likely to be scammers. But any car should be completely checked out in any event.

Lusso123, paulchua and absostone like this.
  12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I agree. like I stated earlier . Does One absolutely go and see it in another state and coordinate a PPI somewhere where you know no one?

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I would do PPI on a car on even a poster that had 40,000 posts. Basically, you do research on a reputable shop near the seller. I would also fly out if possible, yes.

absostone likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've seen horror stories on this very forum with 'established members'

YMMV.

willrace and SCEye like this.
  15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes, I never bought a car I have not seen but most are from my state (CA has lots of interesting car for sale in a couple hundred miles radius). One out of state car bought from an Fcar dealer but I saw the service invoice on the work that was just done and the car only had 5k miles on it, so not so much risk.

absostone likes this.
  16. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    As Paul said, get a PPI regardless and yes, fly or drive to the location to see it. If you're paying that much for a car, you should make every effort to meet the person and see the car. I understand that sometimes this may not be possible. Regardless, that plane ticket could cost a lot less than trying to fix a car...

Lusso123 and absostone like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's been a while since I've heard anybody denigrate the GT4. Like the 412, they both have already been called 'up stairs' me thinks.

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Paul
    I think its unspoken at this point in time with the Dinos.. I've had one for 17 yrs and its excellent. But they always have been frowned upon as you know.

paulchua likes this.
  19. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I am not sure I understand the correlation between the number of posts vs. the credibility of a seller posting for a sale of his car. I have great credibility - you don't know that of course - but have very few postings to date. I am not looking to sell but if I were, I would go to F-Chat where potential credible buyers exist. I would also expect the buyer to do proper due diligence - go see the car and getting a ppi.

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well it could be like others have said that sellers come from other sites looking to sell a car. and who knows whats happened to the car in the past. Ok look at it this way if I post my GT4 and you've seen my 2100 posts and see what ive done and posted about . VS some guy that has 10 posts and come here to sell his GT4 for the same money. which would make you more comfortable?

Lusso123 likes this.
  21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Integrity is not measured by post count. It's measured by post content. Some guys have 1000 "GLWS" posts. Sometimes it's done solely to raise post count.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Always is a long time, I personally love the GT4, even before they tripped in price.

absostone likes this.
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That's interesting and can be true. But in my mind the higher post count to me means they have been around, and the poster can be searched, especially if they are selling something. Ya Know?

24. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I think you may be right as to getting an insight as to the character of the poster - consistency over a long period of time. But I think you should still do your due diligence of the car. Just my two cents out of the $300k+ that you may be putting down on the purchase of the car.

paulchua likes this.
  25. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    I’ve been on here for a decade. I own a Ferrari and many other cars, but don’t post much. A low post count has nothing to do with how I take care of my cars.

paulchua likes this.