OPs with low posts selling cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

OPs with low posts selling cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by absostone, Aug 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    This can be true. I’m liking all the replies so far. But I do look to see how long someone has been s member.

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Now, let’s talk ppi. So let’s say I’m looking at a f car and there is no dealer with a computer in the area or Indy. Now what

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    If it were me, I would pay to have it sent to the closest dealer/indi for inspection if I'm really interested in the car. Also much depends on the car itself. If I'm looking at a more inexpensive model, I might be okay with 'faith' in the seller. Higher priced models, I would definitely invest in due diligence.

There was a sale here not long ago where a member with multiple posts that sold another member a 'rental' Ferrari without disclosure. It had tons of problems...

davemqv and WLFerrari like this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    exactly.

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don, I would seriously, literally buy your car in a minute if I had the money. I know that doesn't help you, but still...besides your car being great I find you to be quite likeable!

absostone and Dom like this.
  6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Thank you Dave! Much appreciated.

davemqv and absostone like this.
  7. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I also don't see the direct correlation of high post count=high integrity? I think that you have to due diligence when it comes to buying any car especially a ferrari. I would certainly advocate doing a PPI with a respected mechanic. Also I have been on Fchat for >10 years and have a low post count because I read alot and learn by searching so there is not much need for me to post, also I have just bought my Fcar so hopefully now I can contribute and give a better recommendation.

8. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    I'm like you, and I'll bet there are a lot more of us out here than you might think.

Geno

paulchua and schwoo like this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    well I only asked what other members thoughts are. And now im seeing that there is a mix of people on the chat that don't post vs the people that do vs the new posters. And to me to buy a car out of state sounds like a pita, VS. in town touchy feely

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am on another forum where in order to post an item for sale the member has to have been on for 30 days and must have 30 "productive" posts. Obviously it is no guarantee that the sale is genuine, but it does at least deter some trolls and casual scammers.

paulchua and absostone like this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    All valid points so far

paulchua likes this.
  12. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Actually integrity is measured exactly when the action is meant to be unseen. So it becomes an oxymoron when you suggested the integrity is measured by the seen contents. It's not the integrity. It's simply the public image. Sorry, gotta point this out. Didnt mean to be a ******.

willrace likes this.
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like the answer you want to hear is that "never buy from a low post post member and always buy from a high post count member."

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's true. But for many of us here a long time, you get a sense of who is fair and honest. That was my point.

iloveferrari and absostone like this.
  15. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I don't think the point is that high post count implies high integrity. However, a good number of posts over a long period of time provides an opportunity to gain insight into the seller's personality and character, as well as how they approach ownership. A reputation earned over time, even as a quasi-anonymous forum poster, is an asset that has at least some value (as illustrated by this thread) and takes time/energy to replace. Once established, the threat of losing it enforces a modicum of accountability.

For example, I'd strongly prefer buying from an enthusiast with a long posting history who enjoys discussing tech and care/maintenance of the car being listed than from an unknown seller with no easily accessible history. This particular situation would make me more likely to pay a premium price, too.

This works in reverse, also. I'd rather sell to an enthusiast with a long history here, even at a lower price, than a random stranger. If something were to go wrong it's more likely that the enthusiast would collaborate on a resolution with realistic expectations. This has value to me.

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’m not looking for a answer. My post was what is members opinions

17. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But this what you keep favouring

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok so what do u want to hear? that you are correct? Is that it? Ok you’re right

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have no problem with it (original question). Ferrari Chat took his money and that gives him a right to post an add. It's that simple IMO.

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’ve never bought a exotic without seeing it in person. My question came up cause there was a car I was interested in to some point but it was 3-1/2 hrs away. And I thought. What a pita to just go there and see it and then return if a price is agreed on. The poster had super low posts. And I was amazed at how much encouragement and help members were giving to the seller. I don’t know crap about buying a car online really

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Mike,

You can think of it both ways though. I know of a lot of honest and honorable folks that hate online chat forums. Having a minimum post requirement would cause missed opportunities from that cohort. As I said before, I've seen horror stories of folks that had great histories/high post counts sell pigs and vice versa. All things equal, sure I would be more comfortable with a person with a long history, but caveat emptor always my friend! (especially with Ferrari)

Cheers

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have purchased several cars from members on FCHAT .. i have had no issues however they had all been people that have been around awhile.. I would be more concerned about the Join date .. I see some that have only been a member for a couple of days .. I would have to look at them pretty hard... before buying but I have bought from exactly that before ...
    I always look up past posts before getting too interested in a car...

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    yup only time will tell.

paulchua likes this.
  24. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike