Original Ferrari Dealer sign? Thoughts? | FerrariChat

Original Ferrari Dealer sign? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrfanFL, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    Hey guys,
    I purchased what i believe to be an original Dealer sign. As you can see from the pictures, it was apparently delivered to Luigi Chinetti Motors Inc. Also, there appears to be a white Ferrari decal that i think would have been for the dealer window? The sign is in excellent, unused condition. I am just curious if anyone on here can give me some insight into the sign's origins, etc. Thanks in advance. Mods, if this is not the correct forum please relocate the post. Thanks guys!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well don't panic because I am not positive, but I think that might not be authentic. I believe Ferrari has used 5 different cavallinos over the years. The current iteration began in 1990 or 1991. Your sign matched the current profile. Prior to that date the tail of the horse did not have the 3 pieces that flare at the end, the flare was more subdued. Additionally the prior cavallino had the right leg slightly behind the knee of the left leg so there was no space between the two legs.

I believe Chinetti's dealership went out of business sometime in the 1970's. Please realize I could be wrong about this, but if that is true, the sign could not have looked like that.

But hey, it's still a nice sign!

Lusso123 likes this.
  3. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    Thanks for the post. I am not worried at all. I did not pay a lot for it by any means. With your line of thinking, how do we explain the Chinetti notation on the sign? Do you think it's a real dealer sign, but from 91 forward? Am just trying to figure it out and educate myself. Being an NCRS judge, it's in my blood to investigate. Would love to hear any one else's thoughts as well. Thanks guys.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I also would like to hear others thoughts. I know there are some real Ferrari historians on this site who would know better than I.

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There is no way that's from Luigi Chinetti Motors. That iteration of the Cavallino is the current one circa early 2000's (2003?).

beng, WJHMH, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  6. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    Thanks for your post Paul. How the heck did Chinetti Motors tag get on the sign?
    So do you think it's an original dealer sign, but from the 2000's? AM super curious

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Ara. Thank you. Just to make sure first off, I am not an expert. I can tell this is a recent logo because sometime in the early 2000's the design went from a stallion to a mare. I do not see anything with Chinetti Motors on the sign itself. The Chinetti Motors logo looks like a sticker, the kind you would put inside the glass on a car. I can only guess but I think they just put those stickers in a bag and taped it on the box to keep all the Ferrari "stuff" together.

A lot of people have made these signs.

GatorFL and 375+ like this.
  8. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    It is also possible that the people at Ferrari that ordered new signs to send to the dealers had an outdated dealer list. The Chinetti sign was ordered and then could not be delivered as the dealer was no more. So it got stored somewhere and then eventually someone recognized an opportunity and sold it.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe that this sign was created long after Chinetti (LCM, Chinetti Intl, Chinetti-Garthwaite) was dead and gone. Someone may have attached a Chinetti sticker to it an attempt to create some sort of provenance. There is none. Cool sign though.

beng, Marcel Massini and Jack-the-lad like this.
  10. Larry Ferrari

Larry Ferrari Rookie

Dec 3, 2022
    Full Name:
    Larry Steingold
    My father was a Ferrari dealer in Miami in the 50’s and 60’s. He did a lot of business with Chinetti. Here is sign we still have.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. peterye93

peterye93 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    This sign is now on pcar market and referencing chinetti

12. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    The Chinetti decal is also a reproduction. You will notice that the Cavallino only has one leg. There is a UK based decal maker who produces these.

13. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
  14. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Interesting description on the Pcar auction site, considering what has been revealed in this tread. Always do your due diligence!

15. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It is certain that this isn't from Chinetti, does anyone have an account at pcar and informed the bidders of this? It's over a grand now and someone is going to get screwed and clearly the seller doesn't care.

GatorFL and 375+ like this.
  16. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Paul, someone posted a comment on the auction yesterday with a link to this thread, a couple of hours later the comment had been removed by PCar!!

Like you say, someone is going to be royally screwed by this, and to be honest I think the original poster on this thread knows what he has and is totally misrepresenting this item - Sad!

Lusso123 and PaulK like this.
  17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What was the dealership called? I lived in Ft. Lauderdale in those days and I recall Pleasure Cars which became Cressman Motors, and ultimately Ferrari-Maserati Fort Lauderdale, but I can’t remember the Miami dealership.

PaulK likes this.
  18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    PCar Market is a sponsor here and perhaps should do a better job of vetting it’s auction lots. There was also an incident of a PCar employee birddogging members here who were selling cars in the FChat classifieds. I’m not sure what the ultimate resolution of that was.

Lusso123 and PaulK like this.
  19. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The OP clearly knows that this isn't real. They are not able to prove its origins and even admit in another thread that "noone can say for sure."
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/chinetti-ferrari-dealer-sign-on-pcar.669912/

GatorFL and Nospinzone like this.
  20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
  21. PCARMARKET

PCARMARKET Karting
    Sponsor

Feb 16, 2021
    New York, California, Florida
    Full Name:
    PCARMARKET
    Hello. In regards to the comment, it was only not visible because it was flagged by multiple users. The moderator made it visible to the public again. Due to the uncertainty surrounding this auction we felt it is best to withdraw the auction and give the seller an option to relist with a different description. We want to thank the FerrariChat community for being involved and assisting us with being a transparent and safe platform for you to transact. We are proud to be a sponsor and part of this community. PCARMARKET Staff

GatorFL, Nospinzone, wfu97 and 3 others like this.
  22. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    The other thread is still gone. Why is that?

I was the first person to call BS on this sign, and the seller was fully aware that this auction was more likely than not a fraud, yet played dumb. Like dude....you are a Ferrari collector it appears, so you bought it at a bargain and want to still make a few bucks on it?

There are a lot of fake Porsche dealer signs on both of these auction sites. You can tell the real ones, which are few.

GatorFL likes this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The moderator should explain.

24. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not sure why the other thread was deleted but on the withdrawn pcar auction a user GatorFL claims it was removed on fchat due to copyright violation? Anyways the auction got up to 1,800 and we saved a guy from getting royally screwed. We can pat ourselves on the back. Thanks to PCar for being transparent and responsive!

Lusso123, Jack-the-lad and GatorFL like this.
  25. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I am a moderator here and removed the ad in the classifieds because after about 5 minutes of research I concluded the sign was fake. I therefore removed the ad as a copyright violation (since it is an obvious copy) and was misrepresented in the ad as real. I also reached out to @PCARMARKET and advised them the sign was a fake. When I did that, there was a bid around $1800 so I am happy to see that they removed the ad and protected that potential buyer from a monetary loss. I don't expect an auction site to be able to judge the authenticity of everything on their site but it is encouraging that they responded swiftly.

MHK69, Lusso123, 375+ and 3 others like this.