P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bisel, May 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    So lets see, you questioned my hours of research on a public forum and you cant understand why Im getting defensive?

So Im asking you to back up your statement with facts and data so that we dont confuse anyone.

Here again is what I said:
    On my F430 I installed Agency Power Headers, stock cats and Kline Exhaust.
    Show me one post that has the exact same configuration as I have with check engine light issues.

The point is in case others would like to avoid CEL issues then perhaps they can go the same route.

2. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You are misinforming members here, you are giving them a bulletproof solution for your “hours of research”
    It is pretty simple your setup might throw codes in another car, because your exhaust has NOTHING to do with them, if you remove precats by changing headers you may or may not get codes.
    Someone might follow your advise and saying it is bulletproof just because you could not find a single post with an identical setup that did is irresponsable and misleading.
    Me for example I DID have codes and I offered OP the solution that worked for ME, will it work for him I don’t know but at least I am not pretending I know it all.
    You were lucky that your setup didn’t throw codes PERIOD.
    Pick up a fight with somebody else please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry Steve for highjacking your thread.

I just want to set the record straight before I say "over and out"

I never said or offered a "bulletproof solution"

All I said was - here is my configuration and I get no check engine light.

Over and out.

cpep likes this.
  4. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My 2004, 360 Modena has a Tubi exhaust with Fabspeed headers. Post header installation, the P0431 code came up. First attempt to fix using O2 spacers purchased from Vivid Racing (great support from James) didn't hold as the code came back after ~200 miles. I then had Big Daddies Garage Mini Cat O2 spacers installed. Code gone; things appear to be working like a charm. Installation took place last July. A couple of weeks ago, the car passed Oregon DEQ smog inspection with flying colors. Hope it's happy sailing from here.

cavlino, whatheheck and JoeTSI like this.
  5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Same symptom ... post installation of Fabspeed headers and get P0421/P0431 codes. I have the Big Data Mini Cats + O2 spacers. Will be installing those in next few days.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Steve

whatheheck and Raconteur like this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Based on the similarities on configuration and fault codes identified, what do you think is the likely root cause of the fault codes being thrown?

And by the way Steve is your car a 360 or F430?

Thanks.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    FYI - I have a Euro car and moved to Fabspeed headers and DID get the code. So I would argue that changing headers from Euro to Fabspeed can cause the code, even though neither header had a pre cat material. There's a larger tube design and different collection with the Fabspeed headers compared to stock, so I expect that may play into the outcome (or maybe something else entirely...)

8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    My car is a 2004 360 Modena.

My personal opinion is that eliminating the pre-cats when you install aftermarket headers is the cause of all of this. Several people have weighed in and although there are some who say no codes are thrown there are those who say they get codes. I think the sensitivity of the ECU and normal variability of the O2 sensor output is such that without the pre-cats in the stock headers, the difference in the readings between the front and rear O2 sensors are close to and may exceed the threshold limits the ECU is checking for to determine if the catalytic converters are operating at their expected efficiency.

It seems that those who installed mini-cats and O2 extenders have resolved the problem. Also, and this is merely my opinion, I believe that Fabspeed's mini cats are over priced and are probably no better than the mini cats one can get from Big Daddy's Garage. I have purchased mini-cats from Big Daddy's and I used to have the Fabspeed versions (but I sold them thinking I did not them). IMO, the Big Daddy mini-cats have superior quality and cost less.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  9. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    do you need the 90 degree adapter with the Big Daddy's like how the Fabspeeds come?

10. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Yes, you do.

11. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Big Daddy sells the mini-cat, a 90 degree extender and a 0 degree extender. They refer to the extender as the "mini-cat converter". I got the 90 deg extender with the mini-cat. I ordered two of each.

Big Daddy's solution is significantly smaller and lighter than Fabspeed's. The parts are manufactured from 304SS and seem to be well made.

Steve

12. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #87 ferralc, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    you are absolutely right, the difference between both readings (front and rear) should meet certain threshold otherwise it looks like the cat is not working properly, when you remove precats (by replacing headers) you are removing HALF of the scrubbing material, 2000+ models 360s have THREE SETS of cats for a total of SIX, one set inside the headers, and another two sets in the main cats, the problem is the downstream sensor is located BEFORE the main and bigger cat material, so the computer is programmed to sense the difference only using the first two sets of cats.
    I hope Fabspeed does not mind if I use a couple of pictures from its website to illustrate this,
    1,2 and 3 are the location of the original cat material, and 02 are where you can install 02 sensors.
    if you replace BOTH headers and catalytic converters you are removing THREE sets of catalytic converters with ONE. the advantage of this is that Fabspeed cats have 02 bungs located before the CAT (if you are not removing the headers) and after the main CAT (if you are replacing both headers and cats), honestly I do not know why you would connect the 02 sensor in the first set of bungs before the main cat, even if you have the original headers I will always put them in the bungs further away.
    By locating the downstream 02 sensor AFTER the main cat is PROBABLE that you would not have codes, because that bigger cat material would scrub better than the two smaller cats in the original setup.
    I have hyperflow cats along with Fabspeed headers, before installing the hyper flow cats I had codes that I resolved with the mini cats 02 extenders on my OEM cats (because the longer distance the sensor is located from the mainstream the less it can sense fooling the computer that the cats are scrubbing more), when the shop installed the hyperflow cats he told me he checked emissions and he didn't think I would get a code even without the mini cat extenders, but he installed them just to be safe.

Attached Files:

G. Pepper and hessank like this.
  13. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    well, you don't "need" the adapter for the big daddies to resolve the codes, but it is WAY easier to install because of the clearance and also it lengthens the distance between the mainstream and the 02 sensor, so I would use them for sure.

14. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    We installed the mini-cat without the o-degree or 90-degree extender. Sorry for the bad photos... running out the door and snapped these through the glass. I'll take a couple more later. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I am learning so much from this post.
    I will be so much more informed by the time I decide to go with headers.

Thank you Steve and others that have contributed.

cavlino and G. Pepper like this.
  16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Those "mini cat" have any honeycomb/catalytic material in them or are they just extenders?

17. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    They do, at least the main extenders for sure, the angle adapter I am not sure

18. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    they have a honeycomb material in them. I had them on a 997 turbo. They only last so long on high output engines.

19. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I want to summarize the troubleshooting for these codes (421/431/422/432) after replacing headers.
    1 02 extenders
    1* overnight ECU reset (don’t know why but it made a difference vs r resets)
    2 02 extenders with honeycomb material inside them (mini cats)
    2* overnight reset
    3 ECU tune to ignore these triggers (some monitors will never get completed if you live in a State where this is a requirement for passing smog then this is not an option)
    I believe this is about it.

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I just spent some time in the garage to discover that the right-angle O2 extenders interfere with the aluminum square frame when attempting to thread them into the bungs on the catalytic converter. Looks like the only way to thread those things in would be to drop the catalytic converter which is a royal PITA. I put the O2 sensors back in and then read Raconteur's post that he went ahead and installed the mini-cats without the right angle adapter. So back in tomorrow to do that. Might have been a good idea to have read that first.

Hopefully, will discover don't need the right-angle adapter.

Steve

cavlino likes this.
  21. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I installed the mini-cats from Big Daddies Garage this morning ... without the 90 degree extension. This only takes 15 minutes, by the way.

I mentioned earlier that the 90 degree extension interferes with the cross-member in the engine bay and I would have to drop the catalytic converters to thread that on. So, instead, I installed the mini-cats directly into the bung on the catalytic converter and then the O2 sensor in the end of the mini-cat.

Hopefully that puts the O2 sensor enough out of the exhaust stream and with the mini-cat, provide the necessary adjustment to the output of the sensor that I will no longer see the P0421 / P0431 trouble codes. Keeping fingers crossed.

Steve

cavlino and G. Pepper like this.
  22. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    That's a great visual, Steve!

If this truly eliminates your 421/431 codes, I'll most likely do this as well. My light only comes on once a month or so but if this gets rid of it, that'll be a good $100 spent.

23. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    My light was coming on infrequently as well. But, I could always get it to come on if I went for a drive of a 100 miles or so. Now I have an excuse for a road trip.

Steve.

24. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Now I understand why you could not install the adapter, the Fabspeed doesn’t have the angle to interfere because what connects to the cat (top block part) threads directly and the 90 degree is the mini cat that is connected as a second part (I will take a picture later and repost)
    Don’t forget to do the overnight reset, save your self an extra step in the troubleshooting.

25. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I just installed new Pilot sport 4S, I needed to break in the tires so I decided to go for a road trip too!!
    There is always a good excuse to do so
    Have fun Steve