P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

P0421 / P0431 Trouble Codes (Catalytic Converter) ... anyone have good fix?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bisel, May 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Jim used the process of elimination on all paired components. He swapped the ECU's, and he swapped the O2 sensors. Problem was still the right bank, so he started tracing the leads and eliminated those one-by-one until he worked back to the pin. I had to authorize a few extra hours of labor along the way, but now I'm glad I did.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Didn't think it would happen but I got the dreaded 420/430 efficiency codes today. Did a lot of slow driving on back roads and the light came on. I was good for over 300 miles after swapping the headers and installing the Kline exhaust. Might try some extenders first and then some new o2 sensors. I just cant believe it waited that long to pop up.

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Seems like I need to do some ecu tricks for cat efficiency for the F430 boys too ;)

Mimmo Blue, hessank and Skippr1999 like this.
  4. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated by many.

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have been CEL free since the slow response time code. I have not done anything though. No changes to my setup. But then, summer heat in Arizona so intense I have not been driving it as much. When it cools down I will be driving it more ... so we’ll see how it goes.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    What headers do you have installed on yours?

Dan

7. Blue360

Blue360 Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    Newport Beach
    Its none of the above

The sensors do not measure heat

They measure a difference on O2 between the front and rear sensor

Pull the cats

Weld a threaded bung at the rear most end of the cat away from the cat material

Do it just like a 1999 360 that had no precats

Everything screws in

No need to reflash

Will solve the codes and runs awesome

8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I went with the top speed. I’m guessing the bung for the o2 is in a different place than the others.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Aug 25 and still going good. Seems like the P0421 and P0431 codes are a thing of the past. Hope that continues. Have not had a recurrence of the “slow response time “ code. We’ll see how that goes as the weather cools down here and I drive it more. Lastly, had the emissions testing yesterday and passed. I did not expect otherwise, but was concerned none the less.

whatheheck likes this.
  10. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Has anyone experienced trying to do the drive cycle refresh procedure, having everything set for readiness state, then having the P0421/P0431 lights come on, and when you go to clear the CEL, it also erases the readiness states?

I'm trying to register my car in a new state that requires emissions testing and having been at my wits end on trying to get the readiness states to show ready, only to have the P0421/P0431 codes show up and erase all my previously ready state parameters.

I'm wondering if anyone's noticed that when they get these codes. I might just bit the bullet and get the mini cats to prevent the P0421/P0431 codes from firing long enough to get the state inspection done but wanted to see if my ECUs were acting weird or if others noticed this phenomenon as well.

11. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Get mini cats and hopefully it will stop the codes from appearing. It worked for my car. I used the fabspeed mini cats. The extentions didn't work for me. 2002 360 Modena with Fabspeed headers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    My readiness usually comes in after two drive cycles. Only like 25 miles. The codes didn't pop up for like 300 miles.

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent!

Thanks for the updates Steve. Glad it's all good now.

Dan

14. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Driving home last night and got the P0139 / P0159 codes again. Damn! I thought I had this resolved.

So this is my set up ...

Fabspeed headers (no pre cats)
    Stock Cats

Initially, was getting P0421 / P0431 codes ... catalytic converter efficiency. So installed extenders and mini-cats. Resolved those codes then started getting P0139/P0159 codes ... Downstream O2 sensor slow response time.

Tried various things included 24 hour reset of ECU by turning power off. I replaced the downstream O2 sensors. I had both extenders and mini-cats installed so removed the extender and went with mini-cats only. The P0139 / P0159 codes remained off for longer time now ... like 6 months or so and I had driven quite a few miles.

So last night, got the codes back. Slow response time on O2 sensor. Going to try to remove the mini-cats and put in extenders only as the mini-cats are more restrictive than an extender only. I do not have high expectations that I am going to resolve this.

Steve

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If you guys want I can fix this with a small update to Swiss Army Knife, I already have this working on 360 and it's not much more work to do add support for F430 too. Either adjust min/max efficiency ranges to be a bit more lenient or patch the code so it never kicks in a code, or finally code out the O2 sensor (secondary one) altogether.

whatheheck, G. Pepper and cpep like this.
  16. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hi 360trev,

When you apply the fix using your Swiss Army Knife, will this cause a "not ready" condition when taking the car for emissions testing? Some ECU tunes that ignore certain codes will then cause that condition to be flagged when going for emissions.

Steve

Tarek307 likes this.
  17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #217 bisel, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    I have been chasing this gremlin for some time now and I believe I may have it resolved. First a bit of history ...

I installed Fabspeed headers which eliminated the "pre-cats" in the stock headers. Soon after, I received Check Engine Light (CEL) code number … P0421/P0431 … which, I believe, are interpreted as “Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold”. More than likely caused by less catalyst material between the upstream O2 sensor and the downstream O2 sensor.

I purchased and installed two Big Daddy mini-cats and installed them in the bung located on the catalytic converter.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This resolved the P0421/P0431 codes for a while, but then I received another CEL, this time with codes P0139 / P0159 … “O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response”. What this is saying is that the O2 sensor(s) are not responding as fast as the ECU would like it to.

My understanding is that the front O2 sensor will always be fluctuating its voltage output and the rear sensor is expected to have a lower output. The ECU is expecting that the voltage between the two to be greater than some threshold. If it is not, then it assumes that the catalytic converter is not operating efficiently. The ECU is also looking that the rear O2 sensor responds to fluctuations in voltage in synchronization with the front ECU. If it measures too long a lag time, it assumes the rear O2 sensor is bad. Or maybe an exhaust leak, wiring problems or other issues.

So, a common resolution to bring the O2 sensors in line with each other is to:
    1. Install a min-cat extender and install the rear O2 sensor to reduce the output voltage of that O2 sensor .... or ....
    2. Install a simple extender for the rear O2 sensor to pull it out of the exhaust stream to accomplish the same function … i.e., reduce is output voltage so the ECU thinks the catalytic converter is working OK.
    As mentioned above, I tried the mini-cat approach and that resolved the “catalytic converter” not working indication, but introduced the secondary problem of slow O2 response time.

I then decided to go the route of simple extenders. I got a couple of these …

But, I still got the P0139/P0159 codes. Slow response times. So decided to get shorter extenders. I got a couple of these which are called "spark plug anti-foulers"

Discovered the throat depth too short to insert the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor needs more throat depth to allow it to be threaded into the extender. So enlarged the inlet hole like this …

That resolved that “slow response time” code, but re-introduced the “inefficient catalytic converter code” The shorter extender put the O2 sensor too far back into the exhaust stream.

So, I went back the longer O2 sensor. This time enlarging the hole in the extenders. I still got the “slow response time” codes. Removed the extenders and made the inlet a bit larger. Now this time I only received the code on one bank. The other bank was OK.

Remove the extenders again and now enlarged the holes another 1.5 mm (1/16”). I think I now have found the sweet spot. Went for 200 mile drive yesterday and all seems well.

The end result is that I now have two O2 extenders with the inlet holes enlarged to 10.5 mm (13/32”). If need be, I could open up the inlet a bit more.

Now, let me tell you that it is a royal pita incrementally enlarging the extenders. I started with this …
    And kept incrementally enlarged the hole until I did not get the “slow response time” codes. I hope I am done. But, now I have found this extender on Amazon.

This gives you one extender with a 12.6 mm orifice and three inserts that have 8.6 mm, 6.2 mm and 3.6 mm orifice. The C-ring secures the insert in place in the end of the extender. I wish I had this at the start.

To summarize … if you are changing out your stock headers on your 360 and you end up getting “catalytic converter efficiency codes”, I would recommend moseying over to Amazon get two of these extenders …

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7QFBGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Starting with the smallest orifice, install the O2 sensor and see if that resolves your CEL codes. With the smallest orifice, you should not be getting the “inefficient catalytic converter code”. But, if you get the “slow response time code”, then try the next larger orifice. Keep enlarging the orifice until the codes are eliminated. My process of enlarging the orifice on the drill press works too, but much more of a pain.

Hope this write-up helps others.

Steve

aseweepay, KBR54, hessank and 5 others like this.
  18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Bisel,
    It’s people like like you that make this place great. I’ve followed your journey for the past year and appreciate what you’re doing.

Thanks
    Skipp

whatheheck likes this.
  19. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Here is a little information many my find useful to go along with this.

Big Daddies products can have internal failure tendencies but Big Daddy will not offer any kind of help to the buyer.

Here is a photo of the inside of one of their products after 300 miles:

When that photo was presented to Big Daddies they claimed that they had never seen any failure like that. When we asked for a simple replacement they moved us to "Frankie" who defensively said the failure was not from their product, but instead it had to do with "programming" and "heat." We appreciated the suggestion but simply wanted a replacement ~ as it was clearly a product issue shown in the photo. But after asking for that they would not respond in any fashion. We sent four emails looking for additional response to no avail. Ghosted! Big Daddies does not offer a phone number, only email correspondence.

You can see the material inside failed. It is obviously a product flaw. But worse than that is the way they wont stand behind the product.

20. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Let me know which models you want to be done first and I will do them in order of community need. Maybe we need a vote? ;)

I can now do both full delete of o2's as well as efficiency calibrations and/or code patches (so they never trigger a CEL ever no matter how inefficient they become). I am now at the point where I've reversed almost the entire code in these ecu's so I can absolutely do this stuff, it just takes me time and I need to prioritize...!

hessank and cpep like this.
  21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Would it be possible to make the O2 sensors more, "lenient"? So they have more tolerance for inefficiency, but will trigger if something is really amiss?

22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes you can but ...

Secondary o2 Sensors only measure catalyst efficiency...

So...

Is it really a problem if they are even missing (no cats at all)...? Well depends on where you live.
    As long as no CEL is triggered?

You can always leave the efficiency calculations active (i.e. not coded out) so real efficiency can be read out by a obd scanner *or* you can cap it (artificially) so that it never goes beyond the boundaries a given efficiency.

This way readiness is never a problem...

Mimmo Blue, hessank, cpep and 2 others like this.
  23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great info and great job Steve!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

24. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Update on chasing the P0421 and P0431 codes ...

I am pleased to say that two months have passed since I installed the two O2 extenders with enlarged holes for exhaust gas flow ... no issues, no check engine lights. I have put on about 400 miles since May and no problems at all.

I have been chasing this problem since installing the Fabspeed headers, which eliminated the pre-cats that were in the stock headers. Go back and read through this thread on my trials and tribulations. The solution seems to be the installation of two O2 extenders with the exhaust gas holes enlarged to about 13/32" ... The size of the hole is not an exact science. Achieved by trial and error. My guess is the hole could be 7/16" to 1/2" and achieve same result (approx 11mm to 12.5mm diameter). This reduces the restriction in gas flow so you avoid the P0139 / P0159 -- "O2 sensor slow response time" error, yet pulls the O2 sensor far enough out of the gas flow to avoid the P0421 / P0431 -- "Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold" code.

The easiest way to achieve the optimum size hole in the O2 extenders is to purchase this item on Amazon ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7QFBGQ?tag=vglnk-c31-20

... which has three inserts that will provide quick and easy adjustment of the gas flow opening. Changing inserts is quick and easy versus drilling out the extender itself. With the three inserts you have four different size openings that you can configure. I really like the ability to change the orifice size as the optimum size may not be the same for every car ... in fact, I would expect that the optimum size is different for each car due to slight differences in catalytic converter efficiencies, fuel trim and many other factors that can affect the operation of the O2 sensors.

If you are installing new headers or going to do a cat-delete, I would definitely try this route before spending big bucks on mini-cats or an ECU tune. I went the mini-cat approach at first and it was throwing money down the drain ... for me. Some people have been successful with the mini-cat approach, but I was not. This way has given me positive results and had I done this at first, I would have saved a couple hundred $$ and many hours of time.

I am hoping that these gremlins do not come back. So far ... so good.

Steve

25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well this week coming I will be doing the patches for the F430 and 360s for cat efficiency so even if the CEL comes back there will be options..