430 - P2794 Error Code | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 P2794 Error Code

Discussion in '360/430' started by BlacktopRacing, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Thanks, guys. I ended up taking it to a local shop and they installed the potentiometers and were then able to clear the code and check engine light. They said they are able to make the ecu re-learn with whatever computer and software they have, but it's not the SD3. Tomorrow will be the test drive. Keeping fingers crossed.

2. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Just went through the exact same thing on my f430; dealer spent one week and could nott find problem. They said they recalibrated system and car was ready for pickup then on day of pickup F1 pump light came back on after spending $500 on this...

Car is having F1 taken out and transformed into 6-speed manual... Can't deal with this F1 stuff

3. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    I've thought about this as well - can you share how you went about this? Did you source the parts yourself, or are you paying someone to do the whole thing for you?

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's the shizzle right there...good for you!

5. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I'm happy to report that the potentiometers are in and the error code(s) are gone, and so is the check engine light! No SD3 needed. All said and told, it cost $1400 USD parts and labor.

I found it interesting that there was an error code within an error code. I wonder why, and I wonder how many such scenarios exist.

Anyway, on to enjoying Rossa again. I think I'll take her out tonight

6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Glad you got it sorted out. Did you bring it to Belasarios

7. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I'm not sure what that is, so no. Where I live, it is an Italian restaurant

8. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

FYI it's an exotic car shop in Oakland

9. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Oakland where? There are at least four Oaklands in the US

10. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sorry, I assumed you were in Pittsburgh for some reason.

11. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I am I never heard of that place. I took my F430 to Foreign Traffic, who employs a factory trained Italian mechanic named Paul. He's good, but he specializes in older models.

12. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Joe Bellisario is the guy who wins the trophies all the time at the big car show that I think is at Schenley Park late summer. You may have been to them. It's a huge car race and show. Anyways he has a couple old white Lambos that are worth big bucks and he always wins at that show. It's an auto body place but he also does mechanical work. But it's good to know that other place that you go to

13. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    I shipped it to Art Bartosik at European Auto Group who has already done over a dozen f430 f1 --> manual conversions and also did the Scuderia F1 to manual over which he got some heat from purists. He does A+ work, I'll let you know how it feels afterwards and whether it was a good or bad move.

What tipped me over is a Ferrari dealer not being able to diagnose problem for a whole week then driving car 50 miles to reset the F1 and having it fault again on day I was picking it up. And being charged $500 for this honor. I had also bought a scud eng relay a few months back which one day faulted and then had to replace the old relay which fixed things up. Bottom line, as much as I love the fast shifts of the F1 and how you can modulate it with throttle etc... I don't have intestinal fortitude for $5000 here for a pump and $7000 there for an actuator etc. also that f430 engine is super responsive to throttle and has a light flywheel which promises to make it awesome to drive manually. I have a GT3RS which has amazing shifting etc.. looking more for a tactile experience and interacting with the car. Will let you know how it goes when it comes back from surgery...

14. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    they use all original Ferrari parts except for a few in the cable mechanism that are originally plastic and they use machined metal instead.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Be careful European Auto Group and Art Bartosik. Do your own research, just my personal experience tried to underhandedly create an alias, spam our board, and then when we moderated him accused us of being unprofessional. To me that is just insight into his personal ethics and morals.

16. STUEWE

STUEWE Karting

May 10, 2009
    N. ORANGE COUNTY, Ca
    Full Name:
    CHUCK STUEWE

17. STUEWE

STUEWE Karting

May 10, 2009
    N. ORANGE COUNTY, Ca
    Full Name:
    CHUCK STUEWE
    Thanks for the info, I have the same situation as you. One question, did this happen when you went to start the car? Mine is very erratic, works for a few days then I go to start the car and the transmission shows 2nd gear (not first or neutral like if should). This sets the error code p2794 and lights the red transmission light. Then car goes info safe mode allowing only first, second or reverse. After a few trips around the neighorhood streets the red transmission light goes out and it shifts fine. I then clear the code,P2794 with my OBDII and wait for it to happen again. Has any one installed the 2 potentiometer s themselves? If so, is there an alignment slot or something so they go in correctly. Thanks,2007 F430.

18. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    That sounds about right, if I call correctly. I thought about doing myself, but the more I looked into it, the more it seemed best to pay a certified mechanic (the one who diagnosed it).

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    After install..you need to do a self learn. Scan tool with the capability is required.

Shift pots are not difficult to replace IF YOU KNOW HOW. They must be "clocked"into position otherwise you will destroy them.

Qavion likes this.
  20. STUEWE

STUEWE Karting

May 10, 2009
    N. ORANGE COUNTY, Ca
    Full Name:
    CHUCK STUEWE
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have the scan tool so I guess it's off to the mechanic. My problem is that it's very intermittent, it may run/shift fine for 20 drives then set the error, it then will reset after 15 or more shifts(first and second). Any way to test the 2 pots? i.e. vom meter for ohms? Just wondering if it is a bad wire or one of the pots is going bad. I cleaned the plug connector and reinstalled to no avail.

ditpixs likes this.
  21. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I had a similar issue with my potentiometers failing. For me, it seemed to be heat related.

I was able to replace them myself and do the relearn with a Launch computer and that resolved the issue.

I have a full thread on here about my adventures in diagnosing the issue.

22. STUEWE

STUEWE Karting

May 10, 2009
    N. ORANGE COUNTY, Ca
    Full Name:
    CHUCK STUEWE
    Thanks, the info on the thread was very helpful.

ditpixs likes this.