Paint Correction Help Needed | FerrariChat

Paint Correction Help Needed

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by 3POINT8, Jan 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I had a full clear bra installed on my 458. A few of the edges came up so I took it back and the installer corrected them. However, as he was working on one of the edges, he peeled it back to apply additional adhesive and part of the clear coat came up. I attached a picture below. It does not look like that big of deal but the body shop that I took it too said they needed to paint the entire panel and quoted me close to $3k. This seems out of hand.

Does anyone know if there's a product out there that can make this go away? Or if there's a method to correct this without repainting a portion of the car?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    the area is the nickel sized area in the center. the rest of the white marks are dust or road rash and look way worse on the picture than in real life

3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Sorry, but there is no good way to do this without painting the entire panel. Even if you have someone "blend" the clear into the rest of the panel, that blend line will eventually show up. The proper way to clear a panel is to go to a body line, hence way the full fender needs to be re-done. The alternative is to simply leave it as it is.

Also, peeling back PPF should be done when the PPF is warm. And even at that point, it will never adhere like fresh PPF. If the car was driven after the installation and contaminants got under the edge, regardless of what you do, it's not going to stick. Honestly, I have never heard of someone adding "more adhesive" as the PPF has the adhesive already on it.

Einsteiger likes this.
  4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hmmmmmmm I have a similar situation going on. My clear bra has discolored some what, not bad but noticeable to me if you look at different angles. I have been told by several installers that removing the film could damage or remove some paint if removed. No one seems to have a fool proof method of removing the discolored film. Several have suggested I do nothing which I what I have done so far. But if there were a good method of removal I certainly would replace the film. Anyone have any thoughts?

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    There are a lot of videos from professional installer showing expert application and removal of PPF. Definitely leave it to them. I saw a video of a guy just pulling up hard on the film like it was a packing tape dispenser. Made the same sound too. Not good. I believe the pros will use a steamer and pull the soft film away from the direction of the pull line before pulling back. This stretches the film breaking the bond but not tearing at the paint. Even then some cars will get lifted clear or paint which is why there is no warrantee against it. This thread is a good reference for those that say removing PPF cannot damage the paint.

For the OP, if you are keeping the car and the PPF has outlived its time then think about replacing all the PPF. That way if there is more lifting then any re-clear could be handled at the same time with the best results. Otherwise, its a small spot not in a top location and I would just let the next owner know. That's the problem with PPFs. Sooner or later they have to come off and the more you have and the longer you wait the more the risk. Unfortunately the new films do such a great job at protecting from nicks and scratches they are mandatory in certain spots of the car if you do much driving.

F12 Junkie and randkin like this.
  6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks for the help. it was brand new PPF! the mark is not a big deal just bothers me that i paid $7k and got a scratch on my car.

Solid State likes this.