Paint For Intake Plenum | FerrariChat

Paint For Intake Plenum

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tarik, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    Does anyone know of an easily available paint that is a good match for a QV intake plenum?

My engine has just gone back together, and I had a discussion with the shop owner about repainting the plenum versus leaving it as is, which is to say leaving the "patina" of a bunch of small chips here and there.

We were both in agreement that we don't want to actually repaint the whole thing. It's not in bad shape, and I much prefer knowing that the paint was sprayed in Maranello, rather than in Pennsylvania!

That being said, we decided that a little bit of minor touch up here and there would be acceptable, if not invisible.

If anyone has found something that is a good color match, please let me know! I'm not even sure whether it has to be a wrinkle paint, since the chips are pretty small... I think a wrinkle with a different texture may just call more attention to the touched up areas...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Trust me, if you've gone the distance of getting the motor out and rebuild, repainting the plenum is no big deal to have a "perfect" motor cosmetically; the original paint loses it's luster from exposure to heat. Even if you touch up the chips now, the paint is so fragile that it'll chip again at some point in the future.

Refinish it right and you'll be happy, promise.

-w-

3. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    +1 VHT red wrinkle paint is a 95% match.

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    lots of threads on this. Lots.

I did mine with VHT Wrinkle. It's not terribly close. So I had a body shop shoot it with Corso Rosso afterwards & its been holding up for years. That's it in my avatar

5. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Touch up or full repaint, either way you're messing with the originality of the part. I would either leave it as-is or completely redo it... A freshly painted plenum will look fantastic!

6. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    +1

The VHT is too orange. I think they changed it at some point. Respected restorers still use it though but its definitely lighter than the original.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree.

8. Yo328

Yo328 Karting

Jul 26, 2014
    Brentwood CA
    Full Name:
    Yoram Limor
    Is the color the same on the 308 and 328? Is there a good source or paint code available. Did not find it in my search.

Also interested in a code or source for the black in the engine bay. Need some touch up near my VIN #

Thanks

9. electrogunner

electrogunner Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2013
    Amish country PA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Or you can use wrinkle finish powder coat. I found a almost perfect match to original color and texture. If anyone is interested I can look up the brand and color code. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Joe, please put a couple of pics of your whole engine...WOW!

11. Yo328

Yo328 Karting

Jul 26, 2014
    Brentwood CA
    Full Name:
    Yoram Limor
    Joe that looks awesome. Hard to tell from pics but is it the same as the 328? I would like the color code and brand info.
    Thx.

12. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've thought about this as well, and have decided to leave the plenum alone. The re-painted examples folks have shown do indeed look great, but unless I was doing a full-blown restoration it seems like a re-painted or touched-up plenum wouldn't look quite right.

13. electrogunner

electrogunner Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2013
    Amish country PA
    Full Name:
    Joe
  14. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    #14 11506apollo, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    jeez, that does look good. I need to not look at these re-paint pics.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 miketuason, May 12, 2015
  17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #17 smg2, May 12, 2015
  18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #18 Brian A, May 12, 2015
    Your plenum (and rest of car) are in fantastic shape. You may find touch-up to be perfectly adequate.

Below is a photo of my QV plenum which I have touched-up the small chips that I had. The thing I like about touch-up it is the dirt and discoloration ("patina" is it is euphemistically referred to) match the dirt and discoloration on the rest of my engine. It all looks in an equal state of decay.

I had to custom mix a color to do the touch-ups. I used PPG paints which I got from Ned’s in Concord, CA (nice people). They have a big book of color “chips” which you can take out to the car and match the color. They custom mixed a small ($12) bottle of satin. It turns out the color was still a little too red, so I mixed it down with some tints I also got from Ned’s. I believe I added some white, but I also have black and brown tint available (for other color matching projects). Buy some small empty mixing bottles so you don’t have to dilute (and possibly ruin) your original bottle. Apply the paint with a very fine artist brush. It may take several mixtures to get the color exactly right.

Regarding the color near the serial number, I have not yet tackled that, but I have some major touch-up to do there. From Orchard Hardware, I bought Rustoleum oil based gloss black and flat black paint. I am going to mix those to get the correct sheen. The serial number paint is remarkably light grey in color: it is not a pure black. I will use some of my PPG white tint to reduce the black down to the appropriate grey. I have an airbrush and intend on applying the paint with that. At least that is the theory: I have not yet done this yet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Yo328

Yo328 Karting

Jul 26, 2014
    Brentwood CA
    Full Name:
    Yoram Limor
    Thanks Brian. I would like to touch mine up. I will have to compare the 308 to 328 at Blackhawk and go from there.

20. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
  21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY