PASSING OF A LEGEND | Page 5 | FerrariChat

PASSING OF A LEGEND

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by [email protected], Sep 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    #101 P300V8, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    News sheet issued by Tori e Motori today:

On the 21st April, the family of Bob Wallace was welcomed by the Community of Sant'Agata Bolognese to a special ceremony.

A tree in memory of the renowned test driver, technician and creator of the most famous Lamborghinis, was planted on a beautiful new roundabout in Sant’Agata Bolognese and a unique “monument” was presented by Marchesi and Bonora, the historic manufacturers of most of the Lamborghini chassis including the Miura and the Countach. It consists of the rear part of a Countach chassis to which a crankshaft is welded. The text on the bronze metal plate was dedicated to Bob by Paolo Stanzani, since they were and will always be brothers.

It was unveiled on that particular day so that Charlie and Maureen Wallace, Bob’s brother and sister, along with their family could see it before flying back to New Zeland and UK, with this symbolic memorial to Bob in their hearts. The memorial was temporarily moved elsewhere the same evening, as we are awaiting the official written permission and the official inauguration will take place in the coming months.

About a hundred of Bob’s ex colleagues, collaborators and friends from the sixties and seventies attended, showing all their love towards Bob and his family. It was a magical and unexpected moment since so many were there.

A simple dinner followed during which memories were shared. Giampaolo Dallara was among them, remembering Bob Wallace as “not only a competent and passionate technician and test driver, but also as a true and loyal friend”.

However, this is not the only surprise for the world of enthusiasts since a book has just been printed entitled “The Man who Married Sportscars”. It is the same size as Paolo Stanzani’s book “Genio e Regolatezza” and pictures of young Bob are included. This book was made possible thanks to Charlie’s support in supplying pictures and information. Those who never had the chance to meet Bob will, by reading this book, be impressed by the touching and joyful nostalgia that they will feel.

Harley E. Cluxton III wrote these amazing words- “How very special this happy moment is! We have now become instant friends with Bob Wallace bringing us together after his passing. How wonderfully amazing! Thank you Bob!”
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Very touching. Thanks for sharing the story and the photos.

I was only a few days away from meeting Bob. I was flying out to his area to visit family who were on assignment for a year a few miles from him.

I consider myself fortunate. I have met 2 of the 5 Lamborghini hero's of mine. I hope I can meet the next 2.

3. mcg

mcg Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Andy
    An internet search does not find the book "The Man Who Married Sportscars". Who is the publisher?

4. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    I believe the book is in final stages of preparation for sale through a single nominated seller based in Europe. I imagine that an announcement will be made in due course and I will update you as soon as I know more...

5. mcg

mcg Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I am anxious to read.

Thank you.

6. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Cristina Guizzardi has it produced in a imited serie, I personnaly bought 15 issues for some of my LCB Club members.

A 2nd issue will be printed later in the year, I will make the annoucement in time !

7. Jasperlambo

Jasperlambo Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jasper
    It is my pleasure to announce that I will be selling the books for Cristina.
    They are ready to arrive any moment.
    If you are interested in purchasing one or more books please send me a mail on [email protected]

The suggested contribution for the book will be 23 euro, or 25 euro if you also want the special plaque that comes in an even more limited quantity.
    Shipping at cost will add to that, and will be around 13-20 euro depending on where you live.
    There is no person that will make money on this book. It is a private and most of all passionate publishing. The book is truly unique with never seen before content :)

8. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    "Genio e Regolatezza" is only published in italian?

9. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    Its in Italian and English, bilingual.

10. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Very cool memorial

11. Jasperlambo

Jan 16, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jasper
    ? My copy of the Stanzani book is in Italian only ... ?

The Bob Wallace book is in English, with Italian translations in the back.

12. Jasperlambo

Jan 16, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jasper
    My copy of the Stanzani book is in Italian only...

13. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    So is mine!...

14. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    what use if I can't read in italian?

15. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    find someone to translate it...

16. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    Google translate works okay if you can be bothered.
    Alternatively you could OCR scan it and covert to English language. Google is your friend either way.
    Or, learn to read Italian, it's far easier than having to learn to speak it!
    Or Oliviers suggestion, of course!

17. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #117 muk_yan_jong, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    That is a really cool and appropriate memorial, but it just won't look authentic until it is black and rusted. Shouldn't take long... :)

Bob rebuilt a 250 engine for a Replica GTO for us when I was at FoW. Incredible work even for a fake. He was gruff as expected but still put every ounce of skill and pride into the work. I asked him if he ever had any apprentices to carry on the work and his answer was something to the effect of there are no kids today who would give a isht for as long as it would take to learn even the basics.

18. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    My book is on its way! If you want one don't delay!

According to Cristina it is about 200 pages, 300 copies only and will not be reprinted. It is in English and the second part of the book contains the story told by his brother Charlie Wallace

19. mcg

mcg Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #119 mcg, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    It is great book with unknown picture and stories from many of his old friends

Cristina spent so much time to prepare it, she has had a great initiative !

21. Miura1960

Miura1960 Karting

Apr 25, 2008
    Can you please give me a tip where I can get this book?

22. ppnlf

ppnlf Karting

Jan 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Piet Pulford
    Contact Jasper who is handling orders by email

jasper AT vantoorenburg DOT com

(substitute capitais)

23. Miura1960

Miura1960 Karting

Apr 25, 2008
    Thank you very much!

24. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great book! Received my copy yesterday & spent the whole evening reading it!

25. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Mine also received now. This book is really personal, it has a scrapbook feel to it with plenty of pics. Lots of anecdotes from friends and fellow employees. Oliviero Pedrazzi's story about Bob unable to avoid some roadworks, hitting a tar barrel in the middle of the road, returning to the factory with the 350GT covered in tar, is priceless! Some really tragic parts too. A wonderful book. Thank you Cristina!