Patina: what to preserve, what to re-do? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Patina: what to preserve, what to re-do?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by f308jack, Nov 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    How is that Puppy coming???

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #77 PSk, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
    Very slow progress at the moment because I'm working too much ... and I'm also changing jobs. I did recently finish the right front windscreen pillar, which came out beaut. Because I'm trying to do this car right I had to repair the many layers so that pillar strength was restored correctly, not just so no visible rust on the outer panel (which would be no good because I'm trying to restore the driving experience, etc.). I'll definitely know this car inside and out when finished ;).

Thanks for asking :).
    Pete

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Cheers!!

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I believe that shows like Pebble Beach, where the emphasis is on perfection rather than originality, have contributed to the over-restoration of old cars that were far from perfect the day they rolled out of the factory.
    As pleasant as it is to see perfect cars lined up on the lawn, you know that if anyone who was part of the original assembly process had to wander by, they would not recognize the car they built.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Tru dAt!

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Simple answer, fix rust. Wear items should be replaced to keep it in running order. Leave the rest alone unless further use will cause rapid deterioration.

And for god's sake, drive them every now and then. They're just cars after all.

7. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    well..i dunno. when the nethercutt collection was restoring their rather cool period rebodied t 51 gp bugatti, they called me regarding the factory chassis color..i lent them an original grand prix oil tank from a car just a few chassis #'s away..they agreed on the color but opted to paint the chassis and tanks with a spray unit despite the obvious brushmarks on the untouched original parts...they also opted to polish and plate bits that on the car i had that were still showing rather crudely filed forge marks and obviously painted...i believe nethercutt and other high end restoration shops have a "minimum standard" of restoration despite obvious evidence otherwise. it's too bad as well in the future nethercutt and even old harrah's type restorations may be the only reference to restore to...oh..i brushed my chassis and to be totally faithful to the process i had a few glasses of cheap french wine to "steady" my hand...not unlike the bugatti factory apprentices seen in period photos hand painting chassis with bottles nearby.

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    “Over restoration” must be an American phenomenon. It must have stemmed from the customizing school of thought which came with plenty of shine and polish. I am not saying that the European restorers are better, the fact is they are not. But at least they have the home advantage which comes from having seen and grown up with cars that became “collectible” on this continent much later.

john

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Very Important Post. Horse manure is piled deep and wide on many lawns...

10. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dave,
    Can you post pics of your Bugatti in a new thread, or this one to show your point :)?
    Erik

11. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    can't post pics that soon but if you go to the fantasy junction website and check "inventory" you can see my old t37 that is not only totally overdone but...wait for this... is totally made new from factory drawings!!!!the only parts not custom made are the sparkplugs, coil, distributor, ball and roller bearing, and most likely a few bits i can't remember. the engine and gearbox are new. crankshaft made from a billet, gears custom cut, cam, finger lifters, block, lower and upper crankcases all cast and machined to factory prints....it's a whole post in itself but i can assure you that cars really don't have soul, it's really just a bunch of specific bits put together in a certain way...to drive this car is, in all ways, identical to a "real" bug. it started as a "bitsa" project and then it dawned on me it would be more fun if no real bugatti parts were present. it was a long very time and $$ intensive project and i figured as it was mine i would finish it to my visual delight. it was never really considered as anything other than a sculpture by me and never referred to as a real bug. at monterey historics one year a noted east coast bugatti guy ran up to me and almost screamed " that's not a real bugatti!!!" i calmly replied "you're right, i made it myself..pretty cool huh?" he walked away totally flustered. check out the photos and comment are welcome.

yes, the instruments were made by hand by john marks in the uk... to period jaeger spec of course. and yes, the tach is chronometric.

12. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #87 Ed Niles, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    This car would be advertised as follows: "Survivor, with original paint, no bodywork, engine never out of car, excellent patina. Only requires TLC to assure concours win!" Fred

14. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    so ed; what's, ummm, exactly wrong with your car??

15. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Ed,

That'll buff right out.

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #91 tritone, Dec 9, 2008
  17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #92 Ed Niles, Dec 9, 2008
  18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ed,

Remember Drew Kelly? At one of the Rodeo Drive events he referred to his 330 GTC's rust as original patina.

Jeff

19. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    com'on james..that's not patina on the bug, it's dirt, grime and crap from neglect.....