Pattern recognition | FerrariChat

Pattern recognition

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TcpSec, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    I am reading William Gibson's latest book called "Pattern Recognition." Great book! I strongly recommend it. Definitely worth the $14 I spent on it.

Based on what I read in the book, coupled with the events on F-Chat and rest of the world, I got thinking! :)

Can we look at the events around us (which reflect the state of our society) and make predictions about future events? Predictions could be as simple as how rapidly F-Chat will grow to as complex as the stock market behavior.

My prediction based on this 9/11 & Iraq stuff, economic data, flame wars on F-Chat etc. is that stock market will sink in 3-5 months and inflation will rise rapidly.

What do you guys think?

2. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I would assume there is a certain predictability based on past events but for the most part I would suggest getting out your crystal balls.....

3. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Don't quit your day job until then. :)

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  5. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Been using a form of 'pattern recognition' for years in law enforcement. Looking for a pattern in a series of residential break-ins for instance, a determining that they occur during the same time period as the local high school's lunch breaks.

Or say there are 1,254 terrorists acts in one year, 1,253 were committed by the same 'class' of individual. Up until PC (political correctness) replaced common sense, you could use this pattern to target certain 'classes' for higher levels of scrutiny.

As to world events, just read a good history book. The only thing new in the world is the history you haven't learned yet.