Pertronix for 308's | FerrariChat

Pertronix for 308's

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DonB, May 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I am thinking about replacing the ignition points in my my '79 308 (US Car) with a Pertronix kit. This kit eliminates all points, uses just one of the two distributors and looks to be a prettry good simple upgrade.
    Has anyone out there done this, and if so are there any problems with the Tachometer or does it continue to work? The tech guy at Pertronix said that if you lose the Tach, just put a 10 Ohm 1/2 Watt resistor between the Tach and the negative connection on the coil where it connects (this is shown on the car's wiring diagram).
    Pertronix has been around along time and I trust they do a good job but would welcome the input.

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Check the SEARCH section as a lot of us have converted. You won't loose the tach because you do not disconnect it and it still runs as a 4 cyl. tach. You still use both dizzys but only set timing with the single unit. You should also change the coils to either Pertronix or Bosch Blues. Simple conversion and runs great. Good luck.