Pilot Sport 4S tyres Porsche rated! | FerrariChat

Pilot Sport 4S tyres Porsche rated!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ballie64, Aug 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    I am about to buy a new set of polit sport 4's tyres for my 458 but my local dealer can only get the Porsche approved ones apparently there have an NO mark for Porsche!

Does this really matter aren't all polit sport 4's the same?

Do the tyres differ in any way ?

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I’m in the same boat. Interested in the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  4. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I have mixed and matched before, especially on a lightweight car. If it were a heavier vehicle then the load rating matters more, but the difference in grip between different OEM compounds has been less than what you get by varying tire pressures and way less than from wear, in my experience from a couple years of track days.
    Actually, this reminds me, I know a tire test driver for a major brand (unfortunately not Michelin, but I bet they do competitive analysis), next time I see him I'll ask about this. Poke me in a month if you're still curious.

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Tirerack has a chart detailing the difference between the specific tires and the manufacturer markings

It blew my mind that there was 1mm less tread on another version of the SAME tire!

6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I will suggest that you get the the full K1 set for the Lusso. Yes the fronts are 245 instead of 235, but they are a great fit. If the 458 needs anything, it's a bit more tyre up front.

No rubbing or other issue. The actual difference is so subtle that you'd need another 458 beside it to tell the difference.

The most important thing is that you get a matched set of tyres. If you run an OE style tyre on one axle, but a general purpose on the other, this can in some cases create some odd characteristics. I've driven two 458's with the Lusso set and it outperforms the OE MPSS on all fronts.

The only thing I don't care for with the Porsche suggestion here, is the fact that these were designed for a Panamera, not a 911 or Cayman. Running Porsche spec shoes on a Ferrari is not an issue, as long as the tyres was designed for another sportscar. I do this with the 488 Spider. I have the 991 GT3 set of Cup 2 shoes on it, and they absolutely leave the Pista K2 set for dead - brilliant set for the 488 and F8. But the Panamera is a totally different animal. Full 4wd, super soft suspension, heavy car, 50/50 weight distribution. Add to that you are only getting the rears off of the Panamera.
    Now you might be asking yourself about this in regards to the Lusso. And yes, it is a GT, but it's Ferraris take on a GT. Yes it has the 4RM system, but it is a predominantly rwd car, not an awd car. Suspension is not that different either. Softer, but with similar traits. But most importantly is the weight distribution. Both cars have a 42/58 weight distribution, and this is very important here. On top of that camber and toe on a 458 is no more aggressive than it is on a Lusso or FF for that matter. So all in all you end up with a set of tyres that are not only matched to each other, you end up with a tyre that comes from a car which shares some important basic traits with your 458.

Hole this helps a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Oh, there can be a lot more to it than that. But shaving the tyre makes it less prone to squirming about. But some have different compounds, different patterns, and some have built in camber etc. Some have softer or stiffer inner walls. There are two OE sets of tyres I will never mix and match, and that are BMW or Merc tyres. Tyres made for those OEM's can be very different and have all sorts of small changes. I don't mind them as a full set, the Merc GTR MPS4S set is great for a Lusso or FF running 20/21 wheels. This is in part because the Lusso and FF have more in common with a GTR than it does with an S,class.

9. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Thank you everyone I didn't realise it was so complex

I will order the generic PS4S and also make sure I order the 245 fronts .....I am UK if that makes and difference to advice

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you order 245 front's get the K1 spec. No need not to as its a proven setup already. It's a matched set.

Fronts.
    https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4S/245-35-ZR20--95Y--XL-K1/R-332848

Rears.
    https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4S/295-35-ZR20--105Y--XL-K1/R-332849

11. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I run the full K1 Lusso set on a 458 based on the advice from this board and it is wonderful

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Thank you for being so helpful I will order the K1 spec with 245 fronts. I have managed to find two tyre centres that say they can do them supplied and fitted for just over £1000 I am just waiting to hear regarding availability. The Bridgestones on it now are the ones it left the factory with in 2010 there's life in them but they feel hard and not particularly gripy! I only got the car 4 days ago hence my first job is new tyres ......can't understand why the previous owner would leave these on it for so long his owned the car since 2011 !

13. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    See this...the differences can be vast!

Caeruleus11 and xBox like this.
  14. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    New K1 set ordered with the 245 fronts hopefully being fitted Friday this week I will report back once fitted. I am hoping the 245 fronts will make the steering slightly less twitchy

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m a little confused and greatly respect your expertise in these matters.
    For my 2018 911 GT3 I should avoid the N0 because they are designed for Panamera?
    Which MPS4S tires would you recommend for my 911 since my rears are getting a little worn?
    Thanks!!

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There are more than one N0 sometimes. The Panamera and GT3 do as far as I know, not share tyre size.

Let me look into it later. What year is your GT3?

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    okay, thanks.

18. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    You guys are incredible with your knowledge ( intended as a complement).

Last year I ran into a situation where I needed a replacement Pilot Sport tire (was out in the great wild yonder) and could only procure a Pilot Sport for a Tesla.

A year and 12,000 miles later - through hell and high water - I can’t notice any difference.

At service last week, the mechanic said all tires are fine and wear pattern normal.

Guess it pays to run your car hard too, lol.

italiafan likes this.
  19. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    If you watched the video I linked, the guy says that you would probably not notice the difference unless you had the two sets of tires back to back, but it's more that there are differences to the generic tire vs the branded tires and the branded tires were optimized for your car. For the new M3/M4 PS4S, he says the car-specific tire has better/more responsive turn-in and that the front and rear feel connected. Would someone notice if handed a car with the regular tire in regular street driving? Probably not. I read somewhere that the Ferrari branded tires (at least the PSC2 for my Speciale) had less tread thickness for lighter weight tires. Going on Tirerack, yup...they have many 305/30R20 rears...some are 31 pounds, the Ferrari one is 29 pounds. In a pinch, if you can only get a different one? Sure, but I would imagine it's preferable to have the tires made for that car. Also, as time goes on and new/better tires come out, there will be a point where you would get that one and not the ones that were designed for the car. My X5M came with PSS as OE. Would I jump at the opportunity to put on PS4S if they came in the correct size? You bet!

20. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ok, so the first gen Panamera with 20" wheels, used an MPSS N0 in 255/40R20 and 295/35R20.
    The current gen of Panamera uses a 275/35R20 and 315/35R20 N0 MPS4S.

The following are all MPS4S
    The 991 GT3 uses a 245/35R20 and 305/30R20 N0, (Great for the 488 and F8 btw)
    The 992 C2 and C4 including S models can be had with a stagger set up which is the 245/40R19 and 295/35R20 NA0. Note not N0. Those rears could potentially be used on a 458, but there's no front to go with them. That being said, the N0 GT3 fronts from the 991 might work great with the NA0 rear.

The 0 simply means that it's the first version of that tyre, in that size, in that weight and speed rating. There can be two 245/35R20 N0 tyres for example, if one is an SL and the other is an XL. if they are the same specs but for different models, this is where you see one being an N0 and the next being an N1. That's why the Lusso is K1 and the Cali T is K2. The rears are different, but the set needs to have the same name, so despite one rear being a 285 and the other a 295, the fronts dictate that the Lusso set is K1 as it was created first, and the Cali T set is K2 because it was after. They are dictated by the front size, as both use 245/35R20 XL (Y). Had one of them been a 245/35R20 XL W instead of a (Y) or one been an SL instead of XL, they would both be K1. That's the case between the MPSS K1 of the 458 and FF. Both rears are 295/35R20 and they don't have the same fronts, but the FF rear is an XL and the 458 rear is an SL. Hence why both are K1.

DefunctNeurons and italiafan like this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks so much for the education! Very much appreciate it.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The N0 or N1 tires in sizes for your car should be fine, as they would have been designed for a 911.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

24. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    todd cloud likes this.
  25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Lol…..

That was from Dragon’s Tail in NC and yeah it got a bit sloppy up top. My car sees quite a bit of rain everywhere I go, including here in FL.

My favorite symbol is the ‘automatic wiper icon’ that pops up on the left VDA. The variable speed feature actually works really well (yay!).

I’ve got all kinds of equipment on my farm (some of it new) and the F is proving to be the most reliable - by far. Go figure.

These cars love being driven.

AD211 likes this.