Pirelli to change tyres from the canadian G.P | FerrariChat

Pirelli to change tyres from the canadian G.P

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, May 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It will be interesting to see which teams will be affected the most. I am guessing Lotus and Mercedes.

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes somethings never change, spend a heap of money on your car making it go easy on delaminating tyres, and then we change the spec so it doesn't matter.

Where does this sit with Todt and his cost saving green issues I wonder, tracks full of rubber and useless heaps of tyres, car costs going up whilst they try to get there heads round it.

It will only be a matter of time till someone has a serious accident because of it.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Utter BS.

The tires where the same for everyone. I guess some higher ups (Red Bull, Mercedes) are complaining (especially with Daimlers big boy now having a seat on the F1 board...conflict of interest at all?). If Red Bull wins races with ease after the Canadian GP it'll be a farce. Same goes if Mercedes all of a sudden starts owning.

I hope they simply will change of the tire will stay together after a failure rather than how long they last.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

One thing I'm not understanding is that any such change needs unanimous approval from the teams. This seems to be being ignored in Hemberys rants..... I can't see Fauxtus or Ferrari (with their veto power ;)) going for it. After last week, why should they?

Cheers,
    Ian

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I'm not so concerned about the tires as they are performing, I would just like to see maybe 1 less pit stop and the tires to stop literally falling apart is such conditions are just not safe.

6. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Pirelli are changing their tyres then for Canadian GP. They will be using the 2012 structure and 2013 compound with a few tweaks to make them more conservative. From everything written on auto-und-motor-sport, it looks like this will help RBR and Merc more than anyone, as both teams seem to really push their tires in heavy aero sectors, especially Merc.

It is clear that Pirelli largely accepts the 2012 carcass. We know the 2012 carcass deflects a couple mm less than the 2013 carcass so we may see slightly lower static ride heights. "But there are still some elements of this year's construction be included. The purpose of the amendment is that the mixtures do not heat up as much, especially at the rear."

For the aerodynamics, this means a lot of work. The new tires will deform less and less in cornering. This could possibly be the salvation for teams like McLaren, Sauber and Williams who have such balance issues. It will definitely also Red Bull and Mercedes help because they have a smaller range of chassis adjustments, to respond to the strong flexing of the tire. For Ferrari, Lotus and Force India, it may be bad news. This Hembery: "Pirelli Pirelli have to think about now."

The bit that stands out to me especially is that the new tyres will not heat up at the rear - this will surely help Merc. Also the fact that they will be less aggressive in corners will also surely help the 2 fastest cars in RBR and Merc as they put more load through the tyre.

7. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Completely agree. The children at RB should be happy.

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    What a ****ing joke.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    yep, MB were completely clueless on race day tire wear so this can only help. RB will benefit because they aren't dominating anymore and couldn't deal with their Spanish GP chinning.

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    this is just big BS

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :) You can't have it both ways!.... They're performing as they are because they're falling apart....

'One less stop'? That's getting into The Viz' hated micromanaging territory is it not? ;)

Hembery has claimed Barcelona was a one off BTW!..... 'Most' races have been and will continue to be in the (supposedly) 'desired' 2-3 stop window. Exactly as requested of course.

I have a bad feeling Pirelli are just about pissed enough to pull the plug on the whole mess and then they'll be in trouble IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ian,

as an "outside observer" due to my disappointment with the "tyre comedia", there is one recurrent question I am wondering about (and that I have already asked):

What good can today's situation, with, on screen, delaminating tyres, punctures, marbles about three feet high on the side of the track, and about a hundred carcasses of spent tyres left at the end of each race (not even taking the qualis into account)...what good, then, can this be to Pirelli's image? is this a sound investment?

Rgds

13. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You may be right with that, all it will take is serious incident related to tyre failure.

14. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    agreed. wtf is wrong with f1. how can the big budget teams not adapt instead of complain. red bull angers me the most because they are still leading the championship despite all the complaints.

15. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yep, started crying immediately after the race was over.

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I think that's *exactly* what Pirelli are asking themselves right now.....

They were asked to push the envelope and give 'us' 2-3 stops. Vast majority of the time, that's exactly what they've done. And now they're being pilloried for it. As many have noted, nothing other than a loose-loose.

As for Delams, I think we've seen 3 (one 'fatal') in the past two races. I guarantee we'd see more with a tire war. Punctures have always happened - I'd guess at about the same rate as always.

Piles of marbles used to the norm back in the day. Damn, even back in the time of wooden Bridgestones we had piles of it off line. Throw in a tire war and get the brooms ready. ;)

'Piles of carcasses' is a little bit of an overstatement. In fact, Hembery was a liittle pissed a while back as they were getting criticized for not giving 'em enough when in fact they were (are?) destroying hundreds of new ones after every race....

Cheers,
    Ian

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    By now Pirelli realizes that F1 put them in an impossible position by telling them to artificially manage competition. At this point they're going to take the safest, least controversial approach before saying bye-bye when the contract expires.

All that remains to be seen is what lessons the sport takes away from this embarrassment.

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

both of you are spot on. Pirelli don't seem to be getting anything other than bad press out of this whole situation. Then again, is there such thing as bad publicity??

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    How about your own obit?

Louis B. Mayer was wrong.
    ;)

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I believe you're correct.

My biggest problem is they're now saying 'changes for Montreal rather than Silverstone.' That's 'desperate' and suggests Bernie(?) has had a word..... But I always thought the teams had to be unanamious if anything was to change mid-season?

+1

Lesson may be that they're in deep **** next year.........

Cheers,
    Ian

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I suspect that Pirelli, seeing no future in F1, has finally said "enough, its our reputation at stake and we're going to do what's best for us".

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sure seems that way!

I guess they've simply said 'screw you and your unanamious approval requirements, this is what we're going to do. Take it or leave it!..... '

I'm now awaiting howls from at least Fauxtus and maybe others....... (Boullier has already spoken up IIRC?)

Cheers,
    Ian

23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Bernie is bound and determined he's going to get Vettel to beat MS's record of titles. Then they can go party again like they did with each other in Brazil last year.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Really?

My initial comment was a little tongue in cheek TBH; I don't think he gets involved in such "details" these days and certainly not in an attempt to affect outcomes.

He doesn't like one guy dominating as it spoils his show is my take.

Cheers,
    Ian