Pista: Coupe or Aperta but not both? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pista: Coupe or Aperta but not both?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by nice, Jul 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    confirmed.....the car that will be showed in PB is already on the way.....very nice combo of colors.....amazing car!!

bwshihtzu likes this.
  2. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    Officially excited...any more you can tell us?

3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    In the USA, almost all of what you posted is incorrect, especially if you know the protections that come with franchise agreements/law, which every Ferrari dealer is a franchise, just like any other new car dealer.

People are getting Lussos to get a Pista not because of any "points" but profit to dealer, that's it. Believe all the dealer nonsense you want, just know where it's coming from. This is why people are getting Pista allocations with limited history, basically giving the dealer a $100K-150K profit by instantly losing money on a Lusso.

nice likes this.
  4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    So a list of approved customers coming from Ferrari and Ferrari North America is pure fantasy? No such list or lists exist? Or even a customer rank as created by Ferrari or FNA?

Nelsonc275 likes this.
  5. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    I think the answer to that is yes and no. Ultimately the bottom line comes down to buying history, for example, someone who has bought 50 Ferrari's and has done nothing else will ALWAYS trump someone who has bought say 10 Ferrari's but has attended and/or bought every single event/course on offer, purchased every piece of merchandise from the Ferrari store and has a giant Cavillino flag flying from his rooftop. So yes, the more cars you buy allows the dealer to position you in a better light with the factory when justifying your allocation. The initial lists that come from the factory are primarily based on buying profile and history, this is then fine tuned and, dare I say, 'manipulated' at the dealer level. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the other things don't matter, they paint a pretty picture, but ltimately buying history rules the roost and trumps all.

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It isn’t fantasy, but the scoring system is just one means of grading clients. For certain clients who have a buying history, they will get allocations regardless if they attend events. On the other hand, if you’ve only bought 2 cars but are very active then you may also receive the same allocation. If you have no buying history but you really want an allocation, you’ll need to pay it forward quickly (hence the Lusso case). All of this is very subjective and has a lot to do with the specific car one is trying to acquire, the market your dealer is in, etc. For example, if your dealer is Ferrari of Beverly Hills and you bought three standard model cars and attend lots of events but you want a Pista Aperta, it’s still likely not going to happen. Then there are the very limited range cars that are only offered to the highest level clients.

Other things they may look at is your age and growth/longevity potential as a client. In some cases having other Ferrari’s, getting them Classiche certified, visiting the factory, going to company events, buying an F1 hospitality package, etc., all contribute. Yes, buying history is first and foremost, but many factors impact ones ability to get an allocation. I’m such an example.

09Scuderia and boobernackle like this.
  7. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    #58 boobernackle, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    It all comes from your dealer, your dealer decides who gets what. Why on earth do you think buying a Lusso gets you a Pista, even with limited history? It's the allocation game with a massive profit to dealer.

Classic example is the LaF. The initial list of customers came from dealers, Ferrari chose from that list provided by dealers, not the other way around. Same with Pista, your dealer decides who gets what and important to know there is no production limit for the Pista. Based on market demand, they could theoretically make 0 488 GTBs, 0 488 Spiders and all Pistas as there is no production limit on the Pista coupe. Major limitation is when Ferrari decides to move on and produce the 488 replacement, which won't happen for at least another year or so.

Really depends on what your dealer values the most for each customer, is it money (buy a Lusso) or order history? You'll know based on the approach received.

8. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Sorry, you are mistaken. My comment relates to the aperta, not the coupe. The coupe allocation depends on the dealer. The aperta list is from the factory. There are exceptions, as always, but you are either on aperta list or not. I am also a vendor for FNA so my info is a bit more than online speculation, rumors or dealer hype. I am getting the coupe although more interested in the aperta (didn't have to buy a lusso).

9. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    My post was referring to the coupe, which isn't a limited production car. Also, by this point system, please define the following:

How many points is each car worth?
    How many for a factory visit, Is that a 3 pointer?
    How many for events?

Right... No concrete answers because this point system is this:

Have positive history with your dealer and the brand, the rest can't be calculated in numbers or "points"

nads likes this.
  10. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    The point system, i.e., how the factory decides who gets what, at the higher end of the spectrum, laFerrari, TDF, limited edition vehicles, is proprietary, the company’s secret sauce, not something it would readily divulge. so while you may be asking a good question, it’s like asking Coke for its recipe.

11. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    I bet you if you agree to buy an 812 and a lusso, an aperta will be yours.

Roland1688 and boobernackle like this.
  12. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    DOUBLE POINTS!!!

13. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    That’s like saying, if you bought both of those cars you would gotten a TDF. Unlikely because lists for those cars come from the factory, not dealer. Plus there must be many at the upper end buying many more cars than 2 over many years to get to qualify for that level purchase

14. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Agrun..thanks for the info. SOLID.

15. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Where do you think Ferrari gets customer lists from, your dealer. If dealer doesn't put you on their list, too bad.

16. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    It's a factory ranking, not dealer

17. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    I have a history of making the unlikely become probable. Time will tell.

boobernackle likes this.
  18. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Guys, we shouldn't get too hung up on points etc. Looks like they are going to make enough Pistas to go around anyone who wants one (within reason, no walk-ins etc). Situation likely to be the same as Speciale. All the usual marketing BS about limited allocations at the beginning, and now the dealers are getting further batches of slots. Aperta might be more of a stampede, but even there my dealer offered a switch without me even asking.

nice and boobernackle like this.
  19. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Exactly, what I've been saying since day 1 of Pista introduction. Don't be a jerk to your dealer and have sufficient history, you'll be fine. Not sure about the Pista Aperta as many will be gunning for it thinking the same will happen with values as the 458 Speciale Aperta, but won't in reality.

20. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    I already bought a 488 Spider, I have a 2015 Speciale A and an 812,from that dealer. He still hasn’t told me I can get a Pista
    So I’m not happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds, Roland1688 and nice like this.
  21. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Have you actually heard of a dealer getting extra coupe allocations since the initial release or are you saying that is about to happen? Thanks for clarifying.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    According to my UK dealer who is one of the smaller ones, they had 35 expressions of interest for the coupe, and they weeded out half of them as flippers, first timers etc. They initially got 9 cars and have recently got another 5. They expect that everyone on the list to get a car (so may be another 3-4). No idea about the aperta.

I can only guess here, but my take is that Ferrari plays the marketing game of initially handing out few cars, creating even more demand, and then fill the demand later. So, a lot of people were under the impression that this was a lot more limited than the Speciale.

Also, the number of people I know who are getting a Pista coupe as their second Ferrari says there is no need to be at the top of the food chain to get one. May be Ferrari sees the longer term potential with these guys. But, I also hear that some big hitters at my dealership are not getting one - guys with F40s, F50s etc. Maybe, they have fallen out of favour.

23. Jamie traina

Jamie traina Rookie

Jul 6, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jamie Traina

Attached Files:

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The last point may be another marketing trick in the way it's presented, some high profile customers may just not want a mildly modified and overpriced 488 with limited exclusivity (it may sound harsh put in this way, I know ;) ) ; they'd rather focus on a truly exclusive edition (potentially the next 812 VS, or even better, the successor of LaFerrari).

From the start I did not believe the official claim of sold out production, before official prices were released and any order could be actually confirmed; I have no doubt Ferrari will sell all the production (which is the case for all Ferrari, because they're basically built on-demand) but I believe that many people who were initially told they could not get one will actually get one.