Pista Hifi issue | FerrariChat

Pista Hifi issue

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Trax, Oct 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Hi there

I've read about this issue before but couldn't find the solution when I searched

So basically when I switched the car on yesterday there is no hifi volume
    When you adjust it (on radio or media) it shows the volume going up and down but no sound
    With Apple play its doesn't even show volume
    However all the functionality looks fine

Any ideas?
    Someone told me to reboot the infotainment system - but how do I do that without disconnection the battery?

2. TXG23

TXG23 Karting

Sep 14, 2014
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Kell
    Happened on my 488 before. Got home, plugged it and left it overnight. Worked fine in the AM. Dealer said is known thing and just attributed to all of the computers getting “confused”. Hasn’t happened again in over a month now. Almost everything with these has something to do with the battery....who knows...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Happens to me often across a range of Ferraris. If I switch back to radio (which usually does have sound), then return to media, it usually then has sound. It’s an irritating bug. I’ve even fixed it driving to town, then after getting gas had to do it again.

I don’t think it’s battery related since the radio sound is usually fine. I think it’s archaic Bluetooth recognition/acquisition.

The few times I’ve had to restart and reboot car to acquire sound I’d agree may be battery related. The worst is when out of the blue it cuts out on a long drive. I’ve had hours of driving without entertainment on boring drives without audio.

ScottS likes this.
  4. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Ive had this happen before and in my case it was a bluetooth issue. The phone was connected by bluetooth and it somehow confused the system as if I was on a call. I would turn bluetooth off on my phone and turn the system off and on. The volume would come back and then I would reconnect the bluetooth.

ScottS and Twosherpaz like this.
  5. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    The infotainment system is awful in the 488 including Pista. I was told by my service rep it is a known issue. 75% of the time when i turn the dial to change a channel, the screen shows i changed it but the station doesn't actually change for 2-10minutes (and then it processes all of them at once!). Service tech said they would update to newest version but turned out I already had it. So I just have to deal with it for now.

Disappointing to say the least that a $600k car can't even get the radio correct. I love Ferrari but they have a few areas they need to get their sh*t together on. Just too many options out there to have this continue.

6. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Ive tried various resets with no luck and its not just when the phone is connecting I also have no volume with the radio

Do you know if there is a way to reboot the infotainment system without simply disconnecting the main battery?

7. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    I do not know - sorry. I’ve had no volume on 3 or 4 instances. I just drove normally and the next time I started the car I magically had volume again. It’s a really bad system and very frustrating.

8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Can try to find and pull the fuse for the radio.

SV

9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Agree with Bluetooth issue. Happened over a range of modern Ferraris most in my FF and F12. Never in Lusso.

As suggested
    1. Time
    2. Charge battery
    3. Disconnect Bluetooth devices and reconnect next time you drive
    4. Bring it in and they recommend a new battery (until the next time)
    5. Get a radio firmware update at the dealer

In my experience nothing is consistent or the solution which is why we are somewhat nonplused about this problem.

Of course for >400K they should send someone out and fix it and then apologize........

Oh yeah the smart Alec answer that we always get - Who listens to the radio? Listen to the engine. No problems there.

junc likes this.
  10. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    I had started a thread on my Pista spider premium radio about how it would go dead and "reboot" back to life every 10-15 seconds. My dealer working with Ferrari tried to update the software first then checked for electrical shorts etc... and ultimately replaced the unit after a week. I think Ferrari is well aware of these radio issues since the dealer got a new unit in 24 hours from their USA warehouse. My parts guy said, he was surprised that they had good stock of the units in the US since in his experience, usually takes 2-4 weeks to get replacement units in the past.

11. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    There is actually an easy disconnect button to disengage the battery on these newer cars. Had to do it in the Lusso T on last long trip and I pulled off at a place with a hotel just in case I screwed up. Popped the hood, unclipped the plastic tabs for the battery cover, then there was a disconnect lever to lit the negative battery clip. The first attempt I didn’t push it hard enough and the battery didn’t actually disengage. Second time I did, waited a few minutes, reconnected, and had media sound again.

All in all, I was so happy to have sound for the next four hours of driving, I wasn’t even upset I had to do this easy fix. Only set my trip back ten minutes.

I believe I had to the same disconnect thing on the Portofino once. Fortunately also the same easy steps. That issue may have been for something besides the audio.

12. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Problem in the Pista is the battery is behind the passenger footwell - so you have to take out the fire extinguisher, then remove the back plate to get near the battery

13. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Yeah the front engines are easy compared to the mid engines.

From the 360 on I’ve removed those footwell plates far more than I care to think about (I currently have 17). Add in the fact that if you hit the brace when trying to jump it, you could short out the whole dash.