Pista is the fastest car in Autocar's supertest! | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Pista is the fastest car in Autocar's supertest!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I believe the December 2018 issue (not out yet) of Road and Track (at least not digitally) has the Pista on the track test. I've been excited to read that upcoming issue. Has anybody received theirs yet? Not sure what Mac they have in there.

Cheers

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    Sorry for my Bad English ...
    I am a lucky owner of some Supercars...vintage and moderns...and also some light sports cars
    I have to agree with Lightguy...doing around 9 track days /year , f458s,Lotus 211,....and a 500kilos Caterham with 230 HP...well for sure it is different but like we say in French every time after a session with de Seven ....’’j ai la banane ‘’ like we say in French meaning I have a smile like a banana ;-)
    The driving pleasure is also different ,,,no assistance etc,,,,
    I for sure i do not want compare the cost here...this is not the subject ...
    Do not get me wrong I am a big FERRARI fan but enjoy also some light car tracking

Rgds
    Tam

Caeruleus11, Shadowfax and theplanner like this.
  3. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    It is not a FERRARI but my little yellow fun machine ;-)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

09Scuderia, Caeruleus11 and paulchua like this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Shadow, your tactics are pretty boring. Critique Mclaren, wait for a Mclaren owner to respond and then call them sensitive. Not sure why you’d waste your time. These are cars we are talking about. Depreciating objects that none of us need. The fact that a lot of us spend our money on them should bring great common ground between everyone not cause dissention bc some would rather spend their money on brand x,y,z or a combination of.....

Gh21631, Caeruleus11 and SoCal to az like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Shadowfax, the F1 forum is the best place to exude passion for Ferrari. The partisan rhetoric there is not only ubiquitous but encouraged! Also, Mclaren is doing worse then Ferrari, so it is the perfect scenario from your standpoint.

Of course Red Bull and Mercedes have been handing Ferrari it's ass for the last 9 years, so there that.

Fair competition is always a good thing for consumers, let companies duke it out to win business.

The 720 is a great car, and it will eventually be bested by the next cars, and so forth. It's not a zero-sum game unless you're racing in a league.

John Pogson had a video where he discussed exactly what is going on in this thread. It's still one of my all-time favorite viewpoints.

Here is a short 1 min clip that I think is true wisdom and delivered in the most eloquent way.

6. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009

So true ...

paulchua likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Alpha males have a predisposition to associate with others who are like minded. Very few humans are open minded and unbiased. From the polarization of current society to stubborn allegiance to a car brand, freedom of choice is a hell of a burden. Therefore, cognitive dissonance, the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs or attitudes is highly disconcerting. In order to avoid emotional turmoil, we adopt a methodology, consciously or unconsciously, of accepting and embracing only those who support our views and beliefs.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    True.

Ferrari's marketing department sometimes does their job too well?

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #284 Ingenere, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Ah..... you have your own version of my CBBSCD (Carbon Based Biological Speed Control Device). Mine seems to be 'g' force triggered..... in any direction.

I have been accused on a number of occasions that most drives are more like 'practice'. I tell her it's actually qualifying! But rather than have a 3 day fight, I try (I swear I do), try to keep the 'g's' to a minimum! :)

However, after reading through the endless pontification about magazine track times that most have no hope of repeating because most of these cars are too busy getting the best valet spot than trail braking and picking off apexes.... the power that all of these cars have is pretty much an academic exercise, because they are just not exploitable on the street for more than a few seconds.

I have had Ferraris since the late '80's. Everything from a 308 to a TR and F40, and now a CS. They all have been used, done trips and been tracked, and they never have broken. I now have a 570S and frankly I like the way it looks (and that's pretty much all that matters). I've had it for 6 months and its been bulletproof. Did its first track day this weekend and all I can say is wow! Mac may not be making great F1 cars right now, but they are on a roll from the road car side.

I have been tracking since the 80's, done lots of hillclimbs, done some World Challenge, vintage raced an Indycar and been instructing since the 90's and the 570 did everything I asked it to, was thrillingly quick, predictable and gave me the confidence to push it and felt that it wouldn't betray me..... and it didn't. Temps never got too high. The car didn't break and aside from some tire, brake wear and some dust, the car made it home and to dinner. At the end of the day, that's what I want from an exotic.

Unless something has changed (talent wise), all of these cars, if actually driven in anger, should scare the life out of most owners. After this weekend, I would strongly suggest taking a high performance driving school (if you actually have one and aren't playing internet hero). You will enjoy the car more, be faster and safer on the street.

I would get a 600LT. It is just like mine, but dialed up a notch. But I'll buy used and let someone else take the depreciation hit!

I happen to like the profile! And that's all that matters! (The car looks better in person than pics)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    Where was Performante and 720s on this track?

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    paulchua likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree, I think it looks cool!!

14. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Great track event this week-end at Circuit of the Americas. It was through edge addicts and I was part of a private run group with Track Rats. So many exotic cars and all with very competent drivers. At least 5 performantes, SV's, 488's, 458, speciales, couple of 720s, numerous 12c's, etc.

Four laps in the 720s. There is a brief delay by the start/finish in each lap so keep it going.

Some action with some of the cars that we talk about on these forums at around the 3:23 mark as we enter the back straight.

Thecadster, paulchua and theplanner like this.
  15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The performance gap on the back straight is devastating. If the race car is close to this, it will be a walk-a-way!

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That’s astonishing. It’s hard to even fathom the pulling power the 720 enjoys exiting the corner onto the long straight. Totally bonkers.

17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yep, that's fast.

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  19. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Yeap. I live far away from COTA but I'm still having withdrawals from the track day. So many quality cars and people who know what to do with them. These guys are very serious about going fast and doing whatever they can to make their cars faster (eg; the 488 in the video has 100 HP tune with Novitec and hoosier tires). Almost everyone in my group (about 30 cars) had some type of modification and the tires were the number one modification.

20. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    More for British magazines

stavura likes this.