Pista is the fastest car in Autocar's supertest! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Pista is the fastest car in Autocar's supertest!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Mac seems to have more than most from what ive both seen and heard. Must be just a british thing... I mean look at AM and Lotus... all pretty iffy in the reliability dept.
    As an enthusiast who loves driving I came very close to pulling the trigger on a 600 recently but pulled away at the last minute...Kinda glad i did in a way.
    Not saying i wouldnt reconsider a mac as part of my fold but for now im sitting and watching. The performance is there but the looks still havent won me over, but the main issue is with the two “R”s.
    - Reliability and resale. But mainly the former.

Juvendude likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Dip your toe in. The water is great. I was the same as you tilll I got a 720. Thoroughly impressed with the brand and car. They have done a great job and it’s a welcome addition to the super car world as provides a great competitor to the traditional brands- Porsche and Ferrari.

I’ve owned all 3. Still own a 488. Now a 720. Sold the Rs and Gt3 Touring. I’m impressed by Mclaren. Good time to be a car enthusiast. Allows me to have choices when dealers want to play their games.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I understand.
    Since 2rs arrived im in a holding pattern with my current toys. When Pista arrives next year will see where mac is up to. May change something. Wont be the 2 though. That thing is freaking mad to drive....and feels bulletproof.

4. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    You're right. My speciale has been flawless in the last year.
    My 720s just had a cylinder misfire.

Miles driven in speciale in last 12 months; 400 miles and 300 of those were in one week
    Miles driven in 720s over last year: 4,400 (3,000 of them track miles).

Miles driven in f12 over one year; 4,600 going to restaurants, slow speed drives dodging bicyclists at 30 miles per hour in canyons. A few high speed runs at 1/2 mile events . Flawless. However, be careful getting to 5,000 because big problems are in store for you (if you know then you know)

675; 4,200 miles. 4,000 of them track miles. Had thermostat replaced twice because you know... tracking can be hard on cars.

Can't really track the ferrari's because warranty doesn't cover it like the Mac's.

Ferrari and all other brands don't have an extended warranty because they don't have a regular warranty... because you know; they don't need one because the cars are so rock solid (same with porsche and every other marquee out there).

One other thing; ferrari dealers don't have any mechanics or service areas... because you know; the cars don't have any breakdowns.

What a ridiculous posting that you did.

JAM1, Bendrover, Jo Sta7 and 3 others like this.
  5. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I agree, with the 360 Modena and F430, for me the cars felt a bit more fragile, temperamental, (fill in the blank), maybe being too concerned with a major failure and left by the roadside. With the Porsche(s) and Mclaren, never had that felling, pretty much just let rip when I was looking for a bit of excitement. I get the fact at 458 and 488 are very different today vs my cars of yesteryear.

Just my opinion,

MB

6. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    A good friend of my took his 720 on track and thought he must have accidentally knocked with his knee on the mirror control nob, although he couldn’t remember that he did. Anyway, the noob stopped functioning...on top of couple minor electronic glitches...

I thought it was a tad too fragile for the control noob to cease functioning...

7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Listen, I’m not saying Mac cars are perfect. Electronic glitches have been reported in the 650 and 570. What I am saying is that you are hearing a lot less issues with the newer models especially the 720.

911 gt3s has their engines catch on fire and had to be replaced.

One guy here reported his wheel almost fell off on his 488.

Etc etc. no cars are perfect, certainly not Mclaren’s. But they seem to be getting better and better.

8. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    I agree they are gradually improving and Mcl are engineered to be a drivers car... and they to seem to be the technology pioneers imho ..

I think the common theme though with failures in Porsche or Ferrari is mechanical failures whereas Mcl appears to be largely electronic...

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Some people are making me feel like creating a dump of all the reported problems from 675 to 720. It's like you have your heads stuck into the sand lol. Better leave yous ride your dreams in the clouds, my opinion based on my own experience in first/second hand is layed. Do as you want, 3 cars are brilliant.
    I just want to see how many are built well enough to be carried after warranty. I know Porsches will. Ferraris will too.

And by the way, some seem to mix problems that are corrected but not permanently fix and problems that are solved permanently. They are 2 completly different sets of problems regarding seriousness.

Even the 991.1 gt3 problems were solved, 10 year warranty to prove and another warranty refresh if you find that you need a new engine. Those pointless and spread ferrari problems too. Does Mclaren can say the same? Electric problems in some cases, even with a brand new installation of a new wiring loom don't disappear, it just pressists a glitch at a time, the market is filled with them.

P.S. I'm not a Mclaren hater, I actually think the day they fix their fiat punto building quality and reliability, once and for all, they will be the leaders of the category. Right now they are just doing what others brands could (very fast cars and very powerful cars) but don't do because they have reliability and quality standards.

10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I agree that cars, no matter brand, could have issues.

I've been most recently REALLY thinking about adding a Mac (to my .2 3RS that just hit my dealer). I might pull the trigger. My issue is I don't have the luxury of having a dealer close. I know the car will have issues, no biggie, but when I have to flat bed it one way 3 hours and they (mac) won't pay for return of car under warranty, that's an issue to me. I have Ferrari, Porsche and even Lambo dealer in my town. Makes it easier should issues arise. That's really what I'm wrestling with at this time. Mac needs more dealers...but they know that.

Shadowfax likes this.
  11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Huh? There are plenty of complaints. Hell, you can even find my thread on the forum saying how pissed on am with the reliability of the 12C. It's not a reliable car, end of story. Like I said, the biggest issues are electric and how big they are depends on how close you are to a dealer. For a long time, dealers were sparse and so a small error meant a huge headache if your dealer was 3 hours away.

It's really not much different than most cars. It's rare for any brand of car to be unreliable in the sense that you can't drive it. Most modern cars have issues where small things aren't working correct, latches break, something makes a noise, etc.

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Then don't buy it, trust me. I dealt with that for years and it sucked. And like I said, it's not the big things, it's the little things.

I once had something fixed, drove 3 hours to pick it up, only to have it happen again in the parking lot and have to leave it there again. I once had the car returned with the same unresolved problem as well. It was fixed when it left, so they thought...

It's a nightmare. Imagine your AC has a problem in the Summer, or your window won't go all the way up for some reason. You don't want to be 3 hours away from a dealer every time something potentially very inconvenient or annoying happens. It's not worth the headaches.

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The McLaren sure does have an ugly profile view. Nothing looks proportioned correctly and there is no flow to the lines. Just MHO.

Juvendude and fil like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My Mac dealer is less than 5 miles from my house. Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini are literally across the street from my office which is about 4 miles from home. Move to Scottsdale. It’s a great place to live for car guys. :)

stavura, spyderman and IPO1 like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think the profile is the best view- the front headlights I’m still not a fan of....but it’s growing on me.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Looks even better with the rest wing up....the headlights to me are the painful part.

09Scuderia and Coincid like this.
  17. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    LOL--I'm good where I am...Mac just needs to add a dealer :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    No way that's the same model.

19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Sure it is...it's a 720.

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The car in the test is a 600LT.

21. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    what a complet bu...sh....
    What is your experience personally with the mc. I am tracking my 675lt since day one, as my 720s. Hockenheim, Anneau de Rhin, Le castellet, Nurburgring etc. around 5000miles on each car mostly trackdays. What was broken: Windsheld twice, tyre burst and wheel arche destroyed and dead battery... What happend to my gt2 Rs, Waterreservoir problems and 1 time limpmode, probably due to overhating. Gt3 Rs alligment problems and tyre rubbering on track and latest oil warning but oil level is ok.
    This cars are track car to me.
    I get the feeling you just read Mclife and copy past some problems.
    Whats about all the problems with Ferrari here and with porsche over of rennteam.

Noon is been called a troll becaus apperantly he has no car and make some statement, but i feel here are way mor trolls around..

JAM1, tekaefixe, SoCal to az and 2 others like this.
  22. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I thought you were asking about car in pic above. 600LT is meh to me.

stavura likes this.
  23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    No, my comment was about how ugly the car at the top of the first page looks to me. That's a 600LT. The 720 looks much better.

IPO1 likes this.
  24. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    out of curiosity any picture of „the broken“ handbrake. My wife has a 570 and i hardly can immagene a broken handbrake

JAM1 likes this.
  25. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    you were lucky with your F12. I had so much issues with mine that i sold it after 6 months and 2500km on the clock.
    But this is still no reason for me to blame Ferrari as a brand, maybe i had just bad luck, and or the car was not made to drive in winterseason.