Pista is the fastest car in Autocar's supertest! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Pista is the fastest car in Autocar's supertest!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The last generation of super cars are more reliable than ever before. If there is a rule that applies, is that the problems that surface usually occur in the first year of a new model's introduction. The kinks get worked out by the second year. Therefore, to minimize potential issues,, wait for the second year after a new model is introduced before making a purchase.

MANDALAY and dustman like this.
  2. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter

Fair to say that Mclaren has made 15,000 cars since they started producing road cars. Equivalent amount of time it would probably be about 35,000 ferrari's.

A real test; not anectodal from a friend, reading car forums or trying to find a narrative to prove a point to justify one's purchase would be to get some real data:

1) Scan over recall information
    2) Get more information from manufacture's as to their warranty claims, the $$$ amounts involved
    3) Get information from dealers as to how many miles are driven on their cars (warranty or something going wrong on a car that was driven for 300 miles is probably going to be different vs one with 7,000 miles
    4) How many track inspections are performed on those cars (to determine how cars are used).
    5) How many cars have had extended warranties (if the general perception is that a car is rock solid then why get extended warranty
    6) How many cars were bought back my manufacture due to lemoning but not lemoning
    7) When there has been warranty claims; which company made the defective part and which other manufacture do they supply too

People who like to sling arrows with anectodal information; have an axe to grind, usually don't have any of the cars they are talking about. The real buyers of these cars know how they use them, the problems that can/do occur and how their dealer/manufacture take care of it.

Gh21631, IPO1 and SoCal to az like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    My bad- thought you were talking about 720. I certainly agree the 720 looks good (save for the headlights) but the 600 is not bad either. Certainly better than 570

09Scuderia and Gh21631 like this.
  4. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Happy I have a Pista incoming.

Happy my new little sublime Alpine A110 came third!!

TomTom77, stavura, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well there is one issue the McLaren has the Pista wont....diabolical resale value.

Juvendude likes this.
  6. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    well depends very much to country.
    Here in switzerland plenty of cheaps 488 and f12 around. Same depriation as porsche Gt models or mclaren 650s..

If you drive your pista for what its made for, on the „pista“ and you put your miles on it, at least here those cars will soften, specialy when lots are made.

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Pay attention to the forums... Not much talk about depreciation or lack of it anymore.

You have forum members who are a bit upset that they have bought a few cars and not offered a pista. Reason is that they bought into this; buy cars, lose money to get car that appreciates and wipe out losses. Unfortunately, losses and big losses occured but not getting car that can potentially wipe out some of those losses (to wipe out the losses, lots of things have to happen with the Pista (don't drive it and get rid of it before more start coming to the market).

Others; who bought into the lack of depreciation hype as a major point in determining which exotic car to get first. They are not too happy right now.

Others; who have very little buying history and played ball by getting a Lusso or Cali T to get Pista. Losses with hope of wiping them out with Pista (once again, can't drive Pista and have to sell before others start selling). Big problem for these types of buyers is that they think this has moved them up the chain for future purposes. In future the big boys will come back in and you won't be able to compete with the big boys.

Watching from the outside in; I'd be very cautious if the reason you are getting Pista to wipe out losses. I wouldn't be feeling very comfortable seeing people with little history buying a Cali T or Lusso getting one. That in itself says a lot.

btw; i've had 4 ferrari's (scud, 458, speciale, f12). I've had 650, 675, 675 spider, 720s, P1, and getting Senna in a few weeks.

I'm deep in the red on the ferrari's. If I take out P1; I'm in the black $150K with the mclarens (assuming i try to flip senna... going rate for senna allocation is $450K).

8. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    100% spot on. It is quite obvious that the very same users attaque one brand or the other constantly, and you start thinking why. looks either they want to defend there existing car they bought, or having non of theme and just trolling around. if registration to this forum would just be allowed with your Ferrari win, probably have of the members would disapear

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    488 and 720 owner here. Was going to trade in my 488 GTB to get a 488 Spider till the dealer offered me 240k on a 330k MSRP GTB 2 years later. Decided to keep the 488 and just add a 720.

Don’t be so sure about that lack of depreciation on Ferrari. It’s a whole new ball game as Ferrari pumps out cars to maintain its stock price.

exoticcardreamer likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it baffles me when someone actually states that a 720S or 600 or any McLaren or Lamborghini or Ferrari is ugly. They all represent varying versions of attractiveness.

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Agree but I think we can all agree that this is indeed ugly. :)

stavura, Ash Patel and tekaefixe like this.
  12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Some good points but try wiping out R1,5mil on a 570S in one year ($100k) versus a 488 where you will probably drop at most $20k. Even the more expensive 720 has dropped to the price of a nearly new 488 GTB on the used market. Market specific but based on my reading McLaren doesn't have a good reputation in most markets for stellar resale value.

Which I suppose is no surprise as their customer base is smaller than Ferrari's.

Agreed, speculating on any car isn't smart in my opinion, buy them to use and enjoy and not to try and offset losses on one with gains on the other.

Juvendude likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It is but I do not think it can be classified as a super car.

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And yet people continue to buy the cars and enjoy them, not giving a damn about depreciation. Wonder why.....

The days of Ferrari not deprecating are over. California, F12, 488- they all suffer normal depreciation.

Regardless- who cares. Don’t buy these cars as an investment.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Super Turd

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Found your posts to be honest and factual with a fair amount of sarcasm which I appreciate. Apparently I do not know your reference with being careful getting to 5,000 on an F12 because big problems are in store for you. Wondering how a car can fall from flawless. What don't I know?

paulchua likes this.
  18. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I didn't have a problem with F12 at all... except for a limp mode (had nothing to do with the reliability of the car. I had an IPE Exhaust installed and that gave the light).

I was at a Cars and Coffee type event a couple of weeks ago and met up with a person who had just taken delivery of his Huayara Roadster. He has the full sweet of cars including F12. Anyways, he was telling me the small issues he was having with the Roadster and how Pagani really appreciated his feedback because a lot of these problems don't surface because the cars are hardly driven. The conversation started to go around the different marquees; getting cars, servicing, customer service, etc.

He threw in the part about how his F12 was flawless until he got to 5,000 miles. He explained the issue to me but it was too technical (sort of ignored the details because it wasn't relevant to me). Anyways; it went to the dealer and dealer said they hadn't seen this issue before but service advisor was aware of it because this issue happened to a car in Germany and there seemed to be some type of bulletin that this would happen to all F12's at the 5,000 mile mark. He also went on to state that they weren't going to do a recall because it wasn't a safety issue and (his comment; very few f12's will get to 5,000 mile mark during the standard 3 year warranty so Ferrari decided they wouldn't say anything about it).

I'll get some more information from him next time I see him and report back.

19. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I don't think you can compare a 570 to a 488. Even 488 now to 720s.

570 = Cali T or Portofino in ferrari lineup.

720s is newer then 488 so not exactly a direct comparison. From what I'm seeing; 720s is following 488 depreciation pattern and will continue to do so. (initially; some 720's were going above sticker (I know 4 of them at my dealer went above MSRP but I live in a high demand exotic car area). #1 Ferrari dealer in the States and #2 Mclaren dealer worldwide).

From a driver point of view; if you want to minimize losses then you have to get in early and get out early..... however, what are you going to drive when you get out early. Most of the people I know who get in early and get out early are the ones who are just buying the car to get in line or move up in line for the next one.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Jesus- and to think I was considering getting an f12 as a replacement for my 488. Good info!

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    OK. Thanks. No one here has posted any adverse mechanical reliability on the F12 before that would indicate such a mileage related issue as he remarked. Mine has been flawless as you indicated. This is a great site to share info.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The part on the dash with the small tab that you pull you fingers against to activate the handbrake - that whole thing came off and disabled the car. I'd advise don't pull against that tab more than very lightly or the whole section/part can come off.....well it did on this particular 570s. The tech eventually managed to get around the car from being disabled but the part couldn't be put back on - was a workshop job and we were out at the track.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree the 600 is not bad - it does have the wow impact visually but I understand what some say about the design being somewhat unresolved. I find the cheesy looky face /front is the main detractor plus the different color vent design in the door doesn't help things along. But it definitely looks better than the 570 for sure. The 720's main issue is the front lights as you say.

Jo Sta7 and SoCal to az like this.
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #124 Shadowfax, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    You really do go on with a lot of nonsense always trying to defend the indefensible. If a car wont start, for whatever reason, it's broken down - end of story.

Re these other forums you have endless time to post on (god only knows why as you don't even have a car and hate driving) - not interested. I barely even have the time to post here, and do so purely because I actually own a Ferrari.

IPO1 likes this.
  25. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I'll get the info sooner rather then later and revert back... It's a similar thing to the Mclarens (attitude wise). It is a known issue that the updated thermostat will solve the overheating issue on 675 if you do heavy tracking... however, mclaren decided to not update until a person actually tracks the car and the issue pops up. Never track the car and that thermostat isn't getting replaced... Next owner who tracks it after the warranty expires will find out the hard way.

Solid State likes this.