Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series | Page 53 | FerrariChat

Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Well- it’s been about a week and I’ve got about 300 miles on the car. 3 days the car was gone for PPF.

No complaints whatsoever. Car drives great, amazing handling, manual is a blast. But I will tell you, after driving cars like the Pista and 720 (and soon the 765)- you can definitely feel the power difference between the cars.

I know it’s not all about straight line speed and the GT3 makes up for lack of it in many other ways but when I hit the gas on the Pista and 720, they just go! It’s neck snapping speed. GT3- not so much.

By no means am I complaining- just pointing out the obvious that we are in an era where power has gone through the roof and it has spoiled me a bit.

buddyg, mikesufka, Lukeylikey and 3 others like this.
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That's was my only issue with the 991.2's I owned and also every boy racer wanted to street race. Get that thing in the twisties and the power won't matter so much.

SoCal to az likes this.
  3. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    200 plus hp difference is really noticeable especially with a NA needing revs to get peak hp. I have a 991 speedster that has the same engine as the 992 GT3 that i really enjoy. When I go back and forth between that and the other cars I have to reset my perception of speed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It’s one of the reasons why I sold my 3RS and kept the 2RS. I think 500hp is the sweet spot for a manual transmission car (Speedster/GT3) or something smaller (GT4 RS).

That said, I’ll be all over the 992 RS.

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    After owning super performers like the 765, GT2 RS, Pista, the only reason to buy a GT3 is having a manual transmission.

Rrr1, AD211, Thecadster and 1 other person like this.
  6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Same can be said for the STO….it’s a very maneuverable car, but not overwhelming power-wise.

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Still big power difference - 500 HP compared to 630.

wthensler and Gh21631 like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Basically this. I have one for the manual but the dreams of owning a stable of skittles Porsches- meh- not so much.

Coincid likes this.
  9. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Speaking of skittles ...

Changed my spec from Amethyst to Viola and wheels to black.

Basically this exact car but with the front clip CXX to color match like the Touring:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

FYY, if anyone is ordering one, although it is officially a CXX option, you can now get the front fascia painted to match without CXX delays if it's the only CXX thing you are requesting.

maxemus, spyderman, gabf1 and 11 others like this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Agreed, but compared to the 458 it’s an octave or two higher in power but still not in the same league as the F8S.

As someone mentioned it’s plenty of car for the track. The 458’s been out a number of times, the STO has yet to see one. It will, soon enough……..

11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think this is a brilliant car for 150 to 200 K maybe 225. But those people that are paying 350 basically $100,000 over sticker I don’t get it.

Thecadster and mikesufka like this.
  12. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have a 992 GT3 coming, my first new allocation after a lot of asking (why do we put ourselves through it?!) Although it won’t be as quick as the 2RS I’m thinking about moving the 2RS along. The 2RS is a brilliant car to take to the track. However, when you rock up with a 2RS at a track day, you may as well paint a target on the back! It’s also a very expensive car to take to regular track days and I suspect the 992 GT3 will give much of the fun the 2RS does, perhaps a little less conspicuously and certainly a lot more cheaply. I’m not certain yet but with other cars coming (812 Comp for example) and some other uses for the money, it’s a distinct possibility the 2RS goes. This will no doubt be a future regret but all our cars have to be used and the 2RS might not be when the GT3 arrives. Not because I think the GT3 will prove to be a better car - something I doubt highly - but because I think the GT3 will go at 9.5/10ths its pace, at half the cost and twice the sound. On track, I can put up with ‘only’ 500hp. And for when I can’t, the Speciale has 600, the Pista 700, the Competizione 800 and the SF90 1,000. As we know, a well driven GT3 (not by me!) would walk all over the Ferraris in the hands of an average pedaller so to improve my track driving the GT3 may well even be a better tool than all of them.

Driving with a little in reserve (say 9 tenths pace) I’ve been lapping the 2RS around 2.27 at Silverstone, 1.30 at Goodwood and 1.20 at Donington - around 2-3 days at each so still some track learning to be done too. If I really went for it and forgot the potential cost consequences of a trip to the wall or gravel, at my current skill level I think I could knock 2-3 seconds off those times, depending on track length. With the 992 GT3 it’ll be interesting to see but I think I could match my 2RS Goodwood time (already did 1.31 in the 991 GT3 RS) and get very close to the Donington and Silverstone times. Mostly because the 2RS is not quite as well balanced as the 3RS and the 992 GT3’s better balance and new front suspension should probably counteract most, if not all, of the added power of the 2RS at some circuits in the hands of a decent (but no more) track amateur like me.

As a side note, never really liked the 765 but the Spider on JWW’s video looks very nice indeed. I think the Spider would be a great car, more preferable than the coupe to me and whatever that blue is looks super good! I can suddenly easily see why people love the 765, even though I don’t really have the room or plan for one myself.

SoCal to az, Ash Patel and mikesufka like this.
  13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Double wishbone, double price? Good to get your perspective, the same could be said of the STO, though in this case the $$$ is going to Lamborghini directly. My dealer charged MSRP.

Who knows with the cofango and CF body panels. maybe their mfg. costs are higher.

14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Interesting perspective, having a $500k+ car on the track with others gunning for you gives one pause for thought.

The 458 attracts enough attention, the STO is insane and I’m also still learning the car and honing my track skills. So far I’ve been on closed events. I’m gonna keep it that way for a while. Chin Racing runs some great events.

With regards to $$$, assuming you don’t trash your car, Pagid pads and ST ceramic rotors are a good investment. I bought a spare set of rims which I run Cup 2s on. So it’s fluids, essentially.

Heck, even an Audi R8 with a VF blower is a decent track beast.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The manual makes the car. Otherwise I personally would not pay a premium for pdk.

Coincid and AD211 like this.
  16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Won't that be a problem on some tracks?

For sure a better driver can be quicker with a slower car, but it also depends on the track layout. In Monza, for example, a driver can only do so much.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  17. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I think a 992-2RS, 992-3RS and 4RS would be a great combination to own :)

ScrappyB and Lukeylikey like this.
  18. Ramih84

Ramih84 Karting

Oct 18, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Rami
    Just received my 992 Turbo S -Shark Blue. Unfortunately the weather here in NY is in the 20s as well as just getting 18” of snow! Once it comes back from the shop I’ll get some miles in! For now it’s hanging out with a few of its new stablemates -Pista and GTBS, STO incoming next month.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Spider68, spyderman, gabf1 and 13 others like this.
  19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats! Love the cars in the garage!

Rami Hajjar likes this.
  20. Rami Hajjar

Rami Hajjar Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Rami H
    Thank you!

21. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Lovely garage!

Ramih84 likes this.
  22. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Awesome stable!

Ramih84 likes this.
  23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Bravo! Strong selection of best in class cars. What color is your STO?

Ramih84 likes this.
  24. Ramih84

Ramih84 Karting

Oct 18, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Rami
    Thanks !

25. Ramih84

Ramih84 Karting

Oct 18, 2018
    New York
    Full Name:
    Rami
    Thank you, the STO will be Arancio Xanto(black trim color). Gloss carbon fiber as well.

Thecadster, of2worlds and wthensler like this.