Pizza Fail on a Pellet Grill | FerrariChat

Pizza Fail on a Pellet Grill

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Shark01, Jun 26, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Been having a lot of fun on the pellet grill. Have done the following, all worked out good:

Ribs
    Burgers
    Sausage
    Pork tenderloin
    Mac and cheese

So wanted to try pizza. Watched a few YouTube videos, bought ingredients, rolled out the dough on butcher paper. Set the grill up at 400 deg for the first one, wasn’t enough, then 450 deg on the 2nd. Used the pizza stone from our Ooni.

It took 15-17 minutes, the results were meh. Launching it on the butcher paper was much easier than the Ooni, which we suck at….we are about 50/50 on that whether we get a pizza or a bowl of mush…..reference the “Pizza in a cup” place from The Jerk.

After 5-7 minutes, you remove the butcher paper from the pizza and put it directly on the stone.

We didn’t get much crust browning at all on the top (it just looked sickly), the bottom was OK, and we didn’t get any smoke flavor added…..I can only assume that it wasn’t on the grill long enough.

So I now get why a dedicated pizza oven is the best fit…..just need to learn how to launch them better or learn to enjoy our Pizza in a Cup.

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #2 arizonaitalian, Jul 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    Lol…

“Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business.”

I gotta say, after a couple of failures to launch at the very beginning, we have a 100% successful launch rate on the ooni ever since...

imho the trick is two things;

1. semola (not flour or semolina) on the peel. (and we use very, very little)

https://ooni.com/products/caputo-semola

2. This peel is super slippery.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/epicurean-natural-pizza-peel-21x14/s266131

Get these two things and you will be good.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I use white or yellow grits. Gives the crust an extra crunch.

jkddad likes this.
  4. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I use Italian 00 flour (same as used for dough) mixed with regular cream of wheat (not the quick cream of wheat) on the pizza paddles. The pizzas just slide right off.

Alpintourer likes this.