Please explain to me a $111,000 355 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Please explain to me a $111,000 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Jan 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Mbutner and Steve355F1 like this.
  2. Ivory

Ivory Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    Invest now 308's are next. They have been moving up too
    They made a lot of them (Magnum PI) but half are now gone
    I've owned 5 of them over the years...loved the styling and still have a lot of Hawaiian shirts

3. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Not too many of these though.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What the... Australia is a democratic capitalistic society. Just like us. Everything is expensive in Au just like it is in Nz. Cargo ships cast a lot to operate. It's a geographic issue.

You were of course just being funny... right? God I hope so because I did laugh when I read it. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dave rocks likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #231 Rifledriver, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Not really. Read up on their restrictions and requirements for importing a car and the taxes and fees involved. Mostly protectionist and partly environmental extremism. Shipping costs have nearly nothing to do with the price of imported cars there. There are a lot of other issues too but gets into P&R territory. Lets just say by my yardstick they are still subjects not citizens.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You mean like tariffs? :)

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #233 Ferrarium, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Huge. Worse as I understand on used cars. Very protectionist. Ask the Aussies what a Ferrari costs over there. Down there....whatever.

WATSON likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just 2 examples I looked up

98 355 65000 km $213,000 US

512 TR 30000 KM $355000 US

$125,000-$225,000 in shipping costs? I don't think so.

Not allowed on the road as I understand unless RHD. So some models are not allowed at all. I am not aware of any western country with that restriction.

2NA and WATSON like this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Or, as I understand it, try to retire there from another country if you don't have any relatives there.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A number of auto mags have had stories with nightmare stories of importing to Australia. Cars impounded and disassembled by a 3rd party over which you have no control to remove all brake and clutch material and any heat shielding that might have asbestos content. Very expensive process I am told.

MAD828 and BOKE like this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well one area I admire them is their immigration stance. We were smart about it in the old days.

Steve355F1, MAD828 and BOKE like this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We had a few clients with multiple homes, California/Hong Kong etc who when things were closing in on Hong Kong told me they were moving to Canada. Keep the California house but residents of Canada. They said a person with assets was welcomed there and financially punished for moving here.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The used car market prices in Australia is driven mainly by supply and demand... just like anywhere else. But of course with a higher starting point because the cars are more expensive brand new. They ultimately pay about double what we pay for a new car. An indirect way of taxing you more if they aren't already taxing you enough. When your government takes a huge bite out of everything you do, how "free" are you really?

carnutdallas likes this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'm starting to question how "free" I am just living in California. Australia has it much worse when it comes to enjoying exotic cars.

MAD828, Qavion and carnutdallas like this.
  17. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Sense

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I recently helped a friend in Qld. ship some heavy duty 2K, 5K 10K, and 20K watt film lights and stands from Los Angeles to Brisbane. I suggested he have the wiring and sockets removing, and have the lights scrubbed clean prior to loading them in a 20ft shipping container. The shipment was held in customs and my buddy had to cough up $5K AUD to get everything straight. All the wiring contained asbestos. His Russian old lady almost murdered him when she found out.

I sell vintage motion picture cameras and gear all around the planet. Australia is super hard on wood coming in. Most cameras ship in a dozen or more flight cases. The cases are made of a wood cored laminate. I only sell to the Aussies if it is prepaid, FOB my garage. I couldn't imagine what car would go through.

19. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
  20. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I think the 348/355 market is going to fluctuate for the next few years. You have people coming into their adult lives who grew up with these cars, yet they can't afford the Ferrari they really desire, so these are great alternatives.

BOKE likes this.
  21. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    This is exactly what drives price increases in all classic cars. Use the 55-57 Chevys or 60s muscle cars as examples. The difference is that the Ferraris are all rare in comparison and will continue to rise. I just watched a bunch of 50s cars hit the market because their baby-boomer owners are letting them go because they are aging. The current buyers are looking at newer cars because all car guys like cars from when they were kids. I covet the 275 GTB/4, @NeuroBeaker digs the 348 because he is half my age. YMMV

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  22. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Right. And in 5-10 years when the 80s kids get into their 40s, I imagine the F355 won't be the alternative but the Ferrari from their childhood that has aged the best.

Mbutner likes this.
  23. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    And the kids of the 90s kids will dig EVs, ridesharing, and autonomous cars.:eek: The horror.

What car posters do you remember from when you were coming up???

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I graduated highschool in 1985 im 51 and bought 348. it is THE car. i dont even want a 430 or newer. if they were all the same price id still get the 348. dont even want a 355 but they are great. 360... uhhh no thanks lol. funny tho id take a mondial. maybe it was weird science....

muscle cars... when all the hippies are gone no one will want them. hence market is dropping and more will sell. even if they are cheap noone want those pieces of crap.

Mbutner, carnutdallas and BOKE like this.
  25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Hippies??? LOL, I am 61 and my cutoff point is my 575M. The newer cars don't interest me whatsoever.

G. Pepper likes this.