Please explain to me a $111,000 355 | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Please explain to me a $111,000 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Jan 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think prices are going up. I think BaT not the gauge of the market. It is a portion of the market, but not the whole market. I have a serious offer for my Gated GTS, fully sorted and great updates, for close to 6 figures. Nice cars, desirable cars, are taking money to buy. I am still on the fence and honestly not sure I am selling. I can not replace it based on my research of what is available. I can buy lots of nice spiders in the $70k range, but they are spiders. I did not realize the seats have less adjustment and found the one I sat in Tuesday to be a little uncomfortable. My 348 spider fit great!?!

I feel I would kick myself for selling my car. No one else is going to sell me their sorted car and nice shape with mid teen mileage are so, for less money and even though I could free up cash, I would rather keep it in my car. I think long term - 5-7 more years, the cars go up in price. There are about 60-70 for sale on all markets in US that I have counted. Maybe 90 tops. All conditions and models, but very few Gated GTS cars and very few GTB’s. Those will cost more for now.

None of us know why this car went to $111 plus fees, but it sure did and it helps out values. The low price follow ups on BaT are confusing, but not when you look at the whole picture, Miles, condition, owner history and transmission shifter style. The cars are coming up in price. How far is anyone’s guess, plus it is Feb. let’s see what May says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I still find the "B' Syndrome interesting. I had not bought a closed car since 1997 until last year. Regret it. I think deep in their hearts B owners are NASCAR fans. :D

As for the $111k 355 spider, simple. The guy just wanted that car.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ehh not really, outside anomalies they look down to me. I'll tell you what is going up though, the 328 and 348 oddly enough.

5. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Manual Ferrari’s will only do better going forward IMO. I think many buyers of the recent models, who have to deal with the shortsightedness of no manual option, will want that extra Ferrari, so they can row thier own. And they will pay what they need to.

Plus the new cars (all makes) have gotten so damn good over the last 10+ years it’s no quite “motoring” any more, but just driving.

6. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    We can agree to disagree.

BUT 360’s, 430’s, California’s yes, they still have a depreciation cycle, that are softening. V12 cars firming but not climbing. New stuff still depreciates. I am considering a 328, but cannot go backwards from a 355, which is the ultimate affordable drivers Ferrari - most would agree. 288, F40, et al not withstanding are more ultimate.

328 and 308 awesome to have in a collection. And they did come up in price, but not advancing right now.

The buyers of Ferrari’s understand the nuance of the car. Young rich millennials cannot drive gated cars - few and far between anyway. All of us 40 year olds with motor oil blood can and that props up the gated market and we want 355’s. If I owned 4 Ferrari’s and only 4 - I will take my two GTS cars (Gated and F1), a 1986 328 and a 550/575 Gated. That is a nice goal I am working on, LOL Those cars in my list will continue to rise, and the 328’s/308 May slow that rise.

I have shopped the inventory available nationwide, plus the excellent resources of Michael at Yellow Compass. Everything I am seeing is more money or a cheap low quality car.

WE ALL NEED TO SUPPORT HIGHER PRICES FOR NICE CARS.

If you are not in the club, get in now, cause membership is limited and the price of admission is not going down - unless the world economy melts. At 30 years old, the 355 will pop up, strongly.

My opinions are just that, but 25 years in the car business from afar and within gives me something to say and I missed the the Porsche Turbo wagon, I ain’t missing the 355 one. Cheers!

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Seriously, think back to when you started driving. How long did it take you to master a manual shift car, 15 minutes? A half hour? A day? Not even an issue.

That's like saying old dudes can figure out smart phones. :)

G. Pepper and Mbutner like this.
  8. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Don’t get me wrong. They will want them and the values go up. I am just saying new cars. The stuff being built today. That is why having a car no longer made by Ferrari will be worth more. And I hope they - millennials will want simple gated vehicles to put in their collections.

And no, most people cannot drive a car like those of us who have done it for a lifetime. My favorite thing to drive is a KW900 Cat with an 18speed and float the gears. More fun than my Ferrari. When warmed up and dialed in I could come to a complete stop click 2 high (no load) and take off without ever touching the clutch

Enjoy!!

9. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Ah yes, stereotypes about millennials never get old. We'll remember when you're old enough to give up your drivers licenses.

And yes, I learned to drive on a manual transmission and can heel-toe, etc.

10. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    $h!t, I will give up my driver license now. Thanks to all the new technology, I won’t have to depend on anyone to get around. Thanks for helping to develop that

11. jbarbakow

jbarbakow Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Barbakow
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Seems 355 spider sales are in-vogue roughly 7 on Bat alone last 3 months. Two more on BAT went up and are active. One 95 and one 99. One black and one red one 6 speed and one F1. So a mix that covers the gambit. If I understand the demand I read about here, these may result in bidding wars and fetch mucho dinero. Awfully nice cars these are. Fun to spectate!

carnutdallas likes this.
  13. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    perhaps stated in a previous post, but the buyer did not pay this price in isolation. He beat one other bidder by the minimum bid increment ($1xx). I thought I had seen this elsewhere, $125 or $149 or something. I don't see it in their FAQ, perhaps price dependent. So only paid 1x , 2x, 3x, nx bids more than the others. This car was clearly going >$100k.

It is hard to believe that there were several nicer examples recently. It looks very nice in the pictures...

BTW - has anyone noticed that the seller has 2 of the highest 355 auctions?
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-ferrari-f355-spider-7/
    as well as another in 2016?

https://bringatrailer.com/member/dsfm2005/
    https://bringatrailer.com/ferrari/f355/

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    One just sold today and there is 2 new spiders on BAT.
    As far as the price rise, Like I said they seem too be going down to me.
    The Opposite of what people say but its kind of hard to argue with numbers were averaging 67K.
    We'll see how prices trend with the next 2.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Disagree- today’s price on 25k mile, limited record car with no info about valve guides or headers is a definite up trend in the market. Bizarre that no berlinettas have come up in this frenzy.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Shopcat likes this.
  17. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So that 355 went down 5K relative to last attempt. That's seems counter intuitive to an uptick on the face of it. There is a definite abundance of spiders, which seems odd for cars on the uptick. They will all swing up if we watch long enough no doubt. Folks who sell now may be missing the boat I gather.

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The 355 market (in general) is up from 6 years ago. The peak was summer of 2016. I think we are (generally) seeing a small up turn now.

I've said this many times and will say again: It's very hard to comp 355's as almost all need work. A truly pristine example is 6 figures all day long. Now, that's a real pristine car, not just a poser someone wants to talk up as pristine.

Mbutner, mclaudio, ShineKen and 2 others like this.
  20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Almost all F355 needs work, 100%! Even the cream puffs. At the very least, parts time out and bits get sticky. A well sorted, pristine F355 is worth the ask.

G. Pepper, taz355 and Dave rocks like this.
  21. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    The AC panel on the black 355 was a bubbly mess, and ashtray needed work as well. The pic of the airbag conveniently did not show the corners so couldn’t tell if it was shrunk.

Anyhow, if someone leaves glaring deficiencies like the HVAC panel and ashtray unaddressed, clearly the car is far from a cream puff.

Always makes you wonder the list of other things they turn a blind eye to.

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Most, true, but not all.

23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Your own car needed work. Not now but it did. I’m just saying even the very best examples will need something. Sure enough yours doesn’t anymore but it isn’t for sale either.

taz355, Dave rocks and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    And to think I used to get grief for being negative. when the market WAS going down. :rolleyes: Every car that sold on that BAT picture sold for more than what I bought my car for back in 2013, and my car had a fresh major with complete head rebuild.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    it's worth mentioning that any pristine car will fetch a premium. There is a 250k 348 out there. doubt they will get it but its out there.

the market is up especially from the big recession looking back farther, yes no doubt. cars were selling for 1/2 but that was do to financial crisis. this is true for bmws mercedes and toyotas for that matter. Wish I bought years back myself, ugh.

355 Great cars worth every penny. 65k for a spider an 8 out of 10 scale, that's great in my mind. lots of lucky buyers.

:)

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app