Please help me to NOT screw this up! | FerrariChat

Please help me to NOT screw this up!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PeterS, Jul 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    First off, thanks for all the replies (and the interesting debates) on the pinhole leak in my high-pressure oil line of my 308. I will be getting the replacement hose today and installing it.

I know I need to double wrench this job so I do not destroy the oil cooler when taking off the hose, which may be the original factory installed hose. Any other tips you gave give me on this job? I know that if I screw it up, I can damage the oil cooler and have to shell out another $600!

Thanks in advance....Pete

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I had to replace my oil cooler a number of years ago because it began leaking. As I recall, the fittings were very tight. I have a 328.

Yes, double wrench it by all means. What I do is place the two wrenches close together making a small angle between them. Then I can just squeeze. If the fitting suddenly comes loose, you don't smash your knuckles on something nearby. In this manner the loosening torque comes from your hands not your arms. So when it suddenly gives way, there is very little movement of the wrenches.

I do this when removing fuel filters on my Mercedes and Porsche cars. They suddenly let go. Squeezing is much safer for me.

3. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I just took the line off. Can I re-use the crush washers at the filter for the banjo bolt? (Please say Yes!). The oil cooler side of the hose was not tight (Thanks Wayne). I was able to unscrew it by hand (what a hell of a long thread!).

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If the faces are in good shape, a solid Cu crush washer can be re-annealed (softened) by heating to cherry red and then allowing to air cool or quench in water (final ductility is not dependent on cooling rate) -- but it's sort of a hassle for a sub-$1 part IMO...

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    and if you check with Jeff at F-UK, you'll find oil coolers are not $600 anyway....

6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    So I drive 130 miles R/T and get home........The hose is not the right one! UUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!