Points to electronic ignition GT4 | FerrariChat

Points to electronic ignition GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by jkedino, Aug 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jkedino

jkedino Karting

Nov 28, 2007
    Finland
    Hello

This must be discussed earlyer, but quick question: What type of aftermarket ignition kit to instal to replace points inside my Marelli S 159 A distributors (twin setup). What Pertronics ignitor kit is suitable? Maybe MR-142 (suitable atlest for Marelli S155P). Or maybe Crane ??

Thanks, Juha

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I have 2x Crane XR700 installed on my GT4, one for each distributor but you can also use the Crane XR3000 which I believe have a hotter spark and are slightly larger.Here is a description of both,
    http://www.kbengineparts.com/craneignition.html

3. jkedino

jkedino Karting

Nov 28, 2007
    Finland
    Thanks your reply.

Actually, I already have CDI ignition (Mallory) in use. My problem is, that I need to know what specific installation kit is needed to replace points (optical or magnetic pickup) that fits inside distributor without major modifications. Crane systems are coming, I assume, with optical trigger.

Also, my goal isto get rid of the mechanical advance system (and points), and replace them with programmable 3D system, (MegaSquirt) that also takes account manifold pressure when determing current ignitionadvance in partial load situations (partial throtle). Mechanical system relies only for rpm. The MAP controlled ignition timing gives better low end torque and power, and makes driving in traffic easyer. Atleast I hope so..

Thanks, Juha

4. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
  5. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I used Pertronix modules, you can do a search or PM me for more info.

6. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Darrell,

Do you have pictures of the setup?

Joe

7. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    #7 4Webers, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. jkedino

jkedino Karting

Nov 28, 2007
    Finland
    Thanks for the pics and replies. They are wery helpfull.

I think I go for the Pertronics units. I assume, there is no special installation kit availible for our distributors, so I need to make baseplates to attach the pick up unit as shown in the picture. What the pic does not show, I think the ignitor unit uses magnetic picup, or is there attached on the saft some sort of shutter, as was in the Crane system? Thanks for the detailed thread overall, Beta Scorpion.

So, I need to order just the plain ignitor unit x 2 for 4 cyl engine?

Juha

9. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    #9 4Webers, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
    As of last year, there was no kit for our application. Be sure that you get (two) 4-cylinder modules for a clockwise-rotation application; I used the MR-142 modules. The pertronix ignitors use magnetic triggers, which are in a ring that goes over the points cam/shaft. Also as of a year or two ago, Pertronix did not have a magnetic ring that fits our points cam, so I had to modify the ring that came in the kit to fit.

10. 3px19

3px19 Karting

Aug 29, 2006
    Darrell
    I want to put Pertronix units in GT4. Read from a guy in the group that Pertronix now made units for the 308s. Excited I called Pertronix directly. They said NO they don't make a kit specific. But that if I sent them my distributors they would set each up for $350 each. So much for that idea.

Glad to see your post. I want also want to go your route. At least now I know which kit to purchase. What do you have to do to modify the ring. Do you have a source or schematic for the baseplate.

Please email me so Ican pick your brain and get this set up in my car

[email protected]

thanks
    Cal

11. jkedino

jkedino Karting

Nov 28, 2007
    Finland
    While waiting for the pertronix unit, I decided to lock up the original advancemechanism and temporarely use points to trigger my programmable ignition (megasquirt) and CDI (Mallory). I note, that dual system distributors can be operated with one points and one CDI box. So just the one set of points in other distributor gives trigger to Megasquirt, that calculates the amount of advance, and triggers CDI wich operates the coils. Distributors forwards the spark to plugs. Now I just need to take engine out and put new pistons etc. in. And restore and upgrade everything else also...

Juha