Pool & Pest Care | FerrariChat

Pool & Pest Care

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by THE RED MENACE, Mar 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I am in the process of buying a vacation home in Scottsdale, and I am curious as to how often people recommend having the pool guy and pest guy come out. I have been told by people only once a month is needed but I am curious as to what full time residents recommend. Thanks

2. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Pest guy - monthly

Pool guy - weekly

Yes, we are residents

3. ktm805

ktm805 Karting

Apr 6, 2011
    Arizona
  4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    No landscaper? Lucky. That is weekly too if you have grass.

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The pool guy only when something breaks.

The pest guy every quarter

Landscaper, weekly

6. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Grass is not legal yet in AZ. :)

7. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Gee, here's a thought ...do some of the chores yourself.

8. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Thanks for the input. I was unsure of how often the pest control people needed to come out, as it seems you have more critters to deal with than I do on a regular basis, and I didn't know if once a month would be enough to keep things under control. Same thing with the pool, we don't live in a pool friendly climate, so I don't have any experience with them, and I don't want to be told by the pool people they need to come out once a week, when only once a month is needed. I have not even thought about a landscaper, all of the houses we have looked at have not had a grass yard, so I don't think we will need a mower, and I would probably take out any grass if we buy a house that has it in the yard, so that would be one less thing to worry about. Thanks again, for your insight, we love the area and are looking forward to finding a house down there.

9. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Well.....that would be a good thought if this was going to be my primary residence But......because it is going to be a vacation home and 1500 miles away from my primary home, it will be a little tough to do the chores each week & month.

10. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    What months do you plan to stay in Arizona?

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Pool needs to be weekly. The oppressive summer heat burns up pool equipment and melts off the chemicals in the water.

The pest guy only works so well. In addition to pest guy good chances you will also need a rat guy, termite guy, scorpion traps, and DIY ant poison not to mention a black light, flash light, baseball bat, and shin gaurds when ever you venture outside on those lovely summer eves. ;)

Then there are the birds...don't even get me started about those little f-ers that feel like mating in my chimney every spring.

12. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    We won't be staying very long when we come down. At most a week at a time. For the near future we will just come down for long weekends, hopefully once a month. We are also going to let friends and family use it

13. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Tough neighborhood. :)

14. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Have you ever used a scarecrow? :) Are the rat/mice control companies different then the pest companies down there? Up here, they are all the same, or should I just let the snakes take care of the rodents?

15. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Pool guy is definitely weekly in the summer. As for critter people, it is only for scorpion issues (at least for us). I would recommend "sealing" the house, which involves people essentially closing all available places of entry into the building. It's not cheap but they start at the foundation and work their way all the way into the interior plumbing and even as far as sealing electrical openings in the house to prevent scorpions/critters from entry.

16. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This. Landscaping weekly.

17. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Same.

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #18 Challenge64, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Ron has a tough time with neighbors. Apparently Paradise Valley isn't too much of a paradise! :)