Popping sound under load above 3500 rpm | FerrariChat

Popping sound under load above 3500 rpm

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JP365, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    So I got up this morning to go to cars and coffee, and I notice the car is popping when I am above 3500 in 3rd, 4th, and 5th.
    About two weeks ago I pulled the plug wires on the right side to take the heat shield off to make a template for a friend ‘s car. I pulled over and checked the wires and they all seem snug. It sounds like it is only on the right side. I have to think I missed something when I took the leads off and reattached them. They are connected in the correct order. Any thoughts?

2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Make sure they are attached to the correct plugs

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Jp are your caps the type that pierce the wire to the cap? Maybe the screw is not through the wire. Also maybe coil going bad

4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Crank it and check header pipe heat. It may show you which cylinders are running poorly. If it is just two cylinders,they may be swapped.

5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #5 JP365, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    So it is arcing at the distributor. It is at an acquaintances shop. He's pretty sure it is the wire going to the coil from the distributor but is going through them one by one. He's not 100% sure yet that there isn't also a crack of some sort in the cap, but he trimmed the wire going to the coil and that reduced the arcing. Thoughts?

6. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Just got a call. Wires are shot. Any suggestions for sources? I'm in Chicago.

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Make your own. Find out what type and build them yourself. It’s very easy

8. Affordable Supercar

BANNED

Aug 20, 2018
    For what model?