Porter Cable or Griot Orbital | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Porter Cable or Griot Orbital

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mustardfj40, Sep 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    I use a PC 7336, probably bought from Griots. It's worked great for years.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Just an FYI DJ, Griot's is no longer selling a relabeled Porter Cable polisher, in fact they have not for several years now. They are on at least their second generation of their own design polisher. I own the first gen. and it even includes a spare set of brushes for the motor.

Even if it were still a relabeled PC, the great thing about Griot's is Richard personally guarantees everything he sells for life. If it breaks, fails or you are simply unhappy, he will cheerfully exchange or refund your money. That is great VALUE to me...and I have had a couple products fail (a battery tender in one instance) and they gave me a nicer, upgraded model in exchange. :)

3. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #28 f355spider, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Todd,
    Your statement may no longer be accurate, as Griot's recently revamped their polisher and it has a more powerful motor and a new adjustable angle handle...I have not tried it or the PC so cannot compare.

4. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Looks like it's a tie!

5. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    #30 Todd Helme, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The previous Griot's model has a shorter 3/16" stroke. The stroke is the diameter of how far the pad travels in each orbit. A Porter Cable has a 5/16" which, in theory, gives it way more polishing ability (the pad 'moves' almost twice as far per OPM).

The newest Griot's model has similar specs to the Porter Cable (5/16" stroke) and is supposed to be more powerful still.

As many people know, Griot's doesn't really make any detailing products, but relabels them or has them labeled for them in nice bottles. I have used just about everything they have and have never really been blown away by the stuff, although it is better then most of the stuff you can get at Wal-Mart. I don't know of any top detailer personally who uses their products.

Personally I have seen a couple companys who have tried to compete with Porter Cable when it comes to Random Orbital style polishers and they have all had terrible realiblity. As it stands I have NEVER had a problem with my Porter Cable and have replaced 6 polishers since owning it.

Another viable opition would be to step out of the Random Orbital Polisher (Griots, Porter Cable,Meguairs G110) and move into a Forced Rotation Orbital Polisher such as the Flex 3403. It is more costly, but far more powerful then the Random Orbital style polishers.

I have attached some diagrams I authored of how the different types of polishers work.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    #31 RacerX_GTO, Sep 10, 2009
  7. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    #32 Todd Helme, Sep 10, 2009
    While I agree that rotary polishers take more experience and research to use correctly, those type of buffer marks are usually caused by somebody who has no business using one on a car, esp. a car of that caliber.

Here are a few cars I have finished with a rotary polisher (I finish about 85-90% this way) so it is very possible to get a perfect finish and amazing gloss with one.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #34 ClydeM, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    I bought the PorterCable 7636 when I got my 308 cause that's what Griot's was rebranding. But a look around and I paid $60 less.

I don't use the hook & loop though. I use the original PC Foam pads bought from Proper Auto Care for $5 each. WIth a metal stud, you really can't toss these into a washer, so i use Wax Bonnets over the foam pads & either toss 'em or wash 'em depending.
    I use a very thin blue cloth bonnet to apply wax/polish. I'll have to change, though. they are getting extremely hard to find. Sears, Wal*Mart and online use to carry them, but most places have dropped them.
    I use the cotton bonnets to remove the wax/polish
    I use another microfiber to make sure the wax/polish is completely removed.
    And depending, I'll use a lambs wool to buff to a luster or use a 14" oribal buffer just for buffing.

This system works best for me as I simply swap cloth bonnets on readily for each phase of cleaning. After I'm done, I throw most of the blue cloth bonnets out, and the 10 or so other bonnets go into the wash. at $6/pkg of 4, the bonnets are disposable when worn.

10. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Todd,

Regarding Griot's, here's Richard's statement in one of his 2009 catalogs: "A lot of companies out there but their products from mass producers, slap their labels on the bottle and call them their own. Since I founded Griot's Garage, and introduced our first car care products , I've developed, tested and bottled our products at our faciltity."

I've used their products for years and found them to be excellent. Last year at the Hilton Head Concourse d 'Elegance, Griots gave all of the Ferrari Club members a waterproof trunk bag chocked full of Griots products - a really nice gift. Griot's supports us and I'm happy with their quality.

Chip

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've known Richard Griot for years, and had the pleasure of sharing a 4th of July with his extended family. He is a TRUE car guy. I use a lot of different Griot's products. I have Griot's orbital and love it... well designed and worked perfectly with their pads and polishes. I had their old one (made by Porter Cable back then) and the new one is MUCH better. I recently bought the smaller version to use on the helmets I custom paint (www.helmet-painting.com) and it's been trouble-free with similar fantastic results to Griot's Garage larger model.

12. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Years ago, the polisher that Griot's used to sell WAS the Porter Cable, only with a Griot's sticker on it. I have a Porter Cable and my cousin has the re-branded Griot's and they are exactly the same polisher. Griot's has gone through a few model changes since then and I can't speak to what they're selling now, but the Porter Cable is an excellent piece of equipment.

13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Dragging this one back from the dead lol. It appears that Griot's 3rd generation RO is made by Maxshine in China. The Maxshine model number for Griot's 6" polisher appears to be MS-L8 and in a quick look at pricing it costs somewhere around $95.00.

14. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I am old school on glass, Bar Keepers then newspaper and vinegar, then Rain X

15. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    griot's or porter cable?
    Neither
    the units made by FLEX are far superior IMO

Yes, I know it's an old thread.

16. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I had the Porter Cable for years, but it developed a bad vibration. I had the 3" Griot and it broke soon after it arrived. They replaced it. If someone else is paying for it, get the Rupes. That's the one. I bought the 21" and 15". The polishes are excellent as well. If you are on a budget get the Porter Cable.

17. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I read every post on this thread, trying to find one where someone had purchased both polishers. I finally found one, right above this post. :)
    I bought the Griots orbital and used it for a couple of years. When I couldn't get any more attachments for it (outdated) I bought a Porter Cable. Ten times better in my opinion.

18. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I have an older porter cable, and have always founds its vibration hard on my hand for longer periods of use. Which unit is easiest on the operator?