Portofino battery woes | FerrariChat

Portofino battery woes

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cyr, Aug 13, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    My car is from July 2020. In November 2020 the battery had to be replaced. On the 23rd of July 2021, two weeks after driving 1300 kms, the battery had to be replaced. In both cases the Ferrari dealers kept the car for days and "checked" everything. Today, 13 August 2021 the battery is dead again. After just three weeks:mad: ! I put the new battery on a charger every three days as I do not want a battery that requires a charger every day (how do you ever go to a hotel if it did?). Currently in France on holiday which has been ruined by a car that required a new battery and now requires one again. Have no confidence that I will be able to drive to drive it back to The Netherlands (with two stops). VERY poor quality.
    Funny thing is, everytime the battery goes ALL the screens and driving lights come on and stay on. I cannot put anything off. Dealer cannot explain that.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Are they replacing it with the original Ferrari battery? It is known to be not-so-good. Put a Braille in there. But the screen issue sounds like something else is wrong with the car. And even the terrible OEM battery should last a lot longer than two weeks.

3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    mikey k, of2worlds and alex like this.
  4. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You certainly don't want to keep going through the hassle (and expense)!

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Three suggestions: 1) Interstate MTZ 48/H6-an AGM-$283 2) Braille B7548-an AGM-45 pounds-$357 3) Braille I48CS-lithium-20 pounds-$2500.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    He is not in the US, so Interstate is not an option.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    of2worlds likes this.
  8. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions, Very welcome. I asked the garage to install a "better" battery, saying I would pay for it but they said that "could not be done". As the car is but a year old and in warranty I do not want to give them an opportunity to claim it is no longer their problem. The garage in France could not find anything wrong with the car but they do admit it is strange that this car has eaten three batteries within a year, in spite of being regularly driven and put on a charger (the last one installed by them three weeks ago), so have opened a "special case" with Ferrari to get expert advice. In the meantime I am in the south of France sans my Porto :(. No idea how long Ferrari will take to reply and how long my car will sit at the garage.

9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Even a crappy battery should last longer than what you experienced, especially since you drive the car and regularly hook it up to the tender. Hope the situation is resolved soon so that you can drive your beautiful car!

10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just a question: were any modifications done to this car?

11. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Car back after sitting a week with the dealer. They installed a new battery, checked it out for a week and could not find anything wrong with the car. This is my FOURTH battery in 12 months, but "there is nothing wrong with the car". Ridiculous. I am going to write to Ferrari and my dealer about this when I get back to The Netherlands. All my friends recommend I ditch this obviously poor quality make and buy something reliable like a Lada from the old Soviet days or maybe a Trabant :p

alex likes this.
  12. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wishing you best of luck with this dilemma!

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As annoying as it is, I think it is safe to assume at this stage that they are trying to find a solution. This is getting toba point where it is starting to cost them real money in parts and warranty work. In other words - they don't want you back with this problem. They know at some point you will be able to ask for your money back if the car is not right, and that is no bueno.

If this happens again, demand a different battery. As long as the battery is the same type and size etc. they cannot void your warranty on the car. They can void the warranty on the battery, but not the car. The Varta suggested above is a such battery. Remember that if something happens to the car which have to be fixed under warranty, they have to prove that the battery is at fault. This is why at the end of the day so many of us use other batteries with zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  14. Oitbc

Oitbc Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Phil Thomas
    Warranties in the Uk and Europe usually have a clause about it becoming void if non company personnel change something in the car.
    The best thing for the individual to do is to take this change and document via phone pics or video when they put it on charge and take it off.

then when it fails again (so sorry if it does) they have a stack of photo or video evidence they can wave around and at that point the dealer will realise that if it went to court because they wanted their money back or a new car it is no longer anecdotal evidence from the buyer but time stamped and recorded that they are charging correctly. I’d also snapshot the mileage now and obviously when the battery fails again.

Dealers are far more likely to action something when they know the customer is now documenting everything.

15. Galahad

Galahad Rookie

Jul 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Talbot
    I have also been surprised by the rapid discharge of the battery in my (August) 2020 Portofino. My experience has not been as serious as cyr’s but in one case my battery discharged in just 2 days after an annual service. In that case my dealer suggested that I disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for a couple of hours to ‘reset’ the system because something that should have been shutting down automatically when the car was parked was probably staying active. I did this and charged the battery to 12.3 volts. I then monitored the battery voltage (as indicated on the dashboard) over the next 3 weeks before re-connecting the battery charger/conditioner. I understand that if the voltage falls below 11.5V, then there can be issues with the car and if it falls below 9.5V, then the battery will have issues. I therefore reconnected the battery charger/conditioner after 21 days. Has anyone else monitored their battery performance to compare with this discharge curve? I would be interested to learn whether this might be considered representative for the Portofino or whether my battery has been damaged by the discharge experienced.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    In the long term (post warranty), the recommended option appears to be to replace the lead acid battery with a Lithium-Ion alternative.

Attached Files:

16. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    An open circuit voltage check that yields 12.3 volts means that the battery is at a state of 50%-75% charged. The battery should read at least 12.6 volts. You'll get more accurate results if you do a load test.

I suspect you have a battery issue?

17. Galahad

Galahad Rookie

Jul 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Talbot
    Thank you for your comment. For clarity, all of the measured voltages (including the 12.3V at the start of the test) were made via the dashboard, with the battery connected. The discharge therefore measures the battery drain imposed by the car's systems at rest (i.e. parked). I would be interested to see a comparison with a brand new battery installed to see if that performs any differently.

18. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have a 2019 Portofino with 11,000 miles on the original battery and no issues. If I remove the factory tender and turn on the ignition several hours later,the dash voltmeter reads 12.3 or less (usually less).

19. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    My Cali t stays on a float charger at all times when in the garage, no matter how far or long I drive it, when I plug the tender back in, it charges (red light) for hours sometimes over night to reach fully charged (green light). (Thankfully we have a magnetic exterior charge port)
    If the factory charging system is in reality only charging to 12.3 V it is not fully charged and could explain the premature battery failures in the Cali t/Porto series?
    Just food for thought

20. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Just wait till fcars go all electric! Future looks interesting!

21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    From my no-issues Portofino:
    1) Car parked for two days without tender,battery shows 11.8 or so (fluctuating), with ignition on dash shows 11.7 and battery shows 11.7.
    2) Car on tender,battery shows 12.75.
    3) Tender removed when shows fully charged,battery shows 11.8,with ignition on dash shows 12.0 and battery shows 11.9.
    4) Car driven all afternoon,dash shows 12.0 before all starts,dash shows up to 14.7 while driving.

of2worlds likes this.