Portofino M colors question | FerrariChat

Portofino M colors question

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by italiafan, Aug 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For those of you who have seen Rosso Portofino in person do you think any of the brown leather range would look good as interior color?
    My favorite would be cioccolato followed by terra bruciata.
    Thoughts?
    (I’m thinking of getting one as a daily. Want a classy beautiful—but not in your face—exterior Rosso, and a classy and calm interior.)
    Thanks!!

2. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I have not seen brown but have seen cuoio which looked nice with RP I personally went with Sabbia lighter rather than darker due to personal preference and felt a darker color seat would be too warm in a convertible in S. Florida. I am probably biased. I have had 3 convertibles all with lighter interiors.

Caeruleus11, 430tdf and italiafan like this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Another question for folks...with Daytona comfort seats and top up are there headroom issues for someone ~6’2”?

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    A pic of rosso Portofino. Probably looks perfect with beige tradizione. Think it will be elegant with tortora.

My feeling is the browns don’t bring it up and pop…!

SV

Image Unavailable, Please Login

uhn2000 and italiafan like this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Went to a viewing of the Porto M and it was in Rosso Portofino.
    Stunning color. I think if I were going to brown, I would go terra bruciata.
    My recollection is that color is the lightest in the progression cioccolato to iroko to TB.

If I wanted understated and a brown interior, then perhaps one of the grey/silvers?

T

italiafan likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m doing my 812 GTS in Sanu Silver with cioccolato/terra bruciata interior. Love the interior but wanted exterior to be a little different...though now that I think of it....it might be kinda cool to have two identically specc’d cars..V8 and V12.
    Hmmmmm.

Boots and tomc like this.
  7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    My Roma in aluminio Lucido over ciccolato/tortora.

SV

Attached Files:

8. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    #9 SilverLeaf, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Rosso Portofino with Ciocollato would look spectacular - very rich and elegant. Here's a good gallery showing rosso corsa with ciocollato to give you some sense of what the interior might look like.

2019 Ferrari Portofino for sale in Naples, FL | Stock #: 20-238788 (naplesmotorsports.com)

IMO, the Rosso Corsa of this example has too much orange in it and is too bright - Rosso Portofino would set off the chocolate interior beautifully. But personally, I'd go with darker carpets, and consider doing the top of the dash and top of the doors in black. A sea of one color detracts from the overall look of the interior. Selective two tone accents make it look much better, IMO. Here's an example of a two tone. Ciocolatto looks like a darker brown in person:

Attached Files:

italiafan likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #10 italiafan, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Thanks all!
    I watched the YouTube videos on PortofinoM by Shmee and Harry’s Garage...and that Celeste Metallic (I think that was the name Shmee stated?) color is gorgeous, so now considering that as well.
    What do you think about Celeste with either Sabia, Terra Bruciata, or Tortora as main color for seats and lower dash coupled with cioccolato for upper dash and other upper parts like a-pillar, back wall, and piping (replacing black)—I’m soooooooo tired of black leather.

Garretto and 430tdf like this.
  10. lilsammy

lilsammy Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    SM
    Have you looked at Ciuoio or Beige tradionale? Those are my favorites, the latter of which would look great on any of the rosso exteriors for the classic ferrari vibe

italiafan likes this.
  11. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    #12 SilverLeaf, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    I seem to recall reading that Celeste is not available (at least not in the normal color range, and maybe not at all). It's not in the online configurator. It's super weird that Ferrari used a launch color that isn't part of the available color range. Please do let us know if I'm mistaken and if Celeste is available to order. I agree with you that it's a gorgeous color. Some might say it's too feminine and might look even more feminine with a light interior, but screw the haters. If it were me, I wouldn't order it without seeing a color sample in person, as the color seems to look very different in various videos/photos. Case in point: 2022 Ferrari Portofino M First Drive: The Impressionist Review (motortrend.com)

EDIT: Actually, according to this, Celeste is a heritage color: Ferrari Portofino M review: the al fresco super-GT : CityAM

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My SA didn’t think it would be an issue ordering Celeste. I’ll try to get a sample. I hear what you’re saying about “feminine,” though I don’t really understand what it means for a color to be masculine vs. feminine. I have a RC Speciale and that color suits the nature of that car so I don’t want a “loud” red on an under-the-radar daily, so yellows are out too. For some reason I can’t explain the blues (other than azurro California) don’t do it for me on Ferrari’s. I like the different silvers, but also don’t want it to be “boring.” I had Grigio titanio on my F12, which was gorgeous, but the F12 just had so much presence it carried it well. I like greens but don’t want it to be too “Jag.”
    In short, I want something truly beautiful and grabs you for a double-take, classy, doesn’t scream Ferrari, and something unique—a color you don’t see often on any car on the road. So, considering Celeste as well as a classy shade of red (Portofino, Maranello, Fiorano...), maybe a brown metallic?

Thoughts always appreciated! :)

Garretto and 430tdf like this.
  13. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    #14 SilverLeaf, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    You've had some amazing cars. :)

Celeste is a beautiful color. It's distinctive, but one thing to consider is that it still stands out as a bright teal color.

If you're looking for something more understated and elegant, have you considered Tour de France blue? I saw one in person a few weeks ago, and it's absolutely gorgeous. TDF is historic and timeless, and a relative bargain as it's also one of the standard colors on the Portofino. There's also a lighter blue called Mirabeau that's classy and distinctive too.

If you're more partial to gray, there's a dark shade of gray that looks really nice. I'm not sure if it's Canna di Fusili or Grigio Silverstone, but your SA would be able to confirm.

Canna di Fusili or Grigio Silverstone

TDF blue (it's darker in person) and Mirabeau (lighter in daylight)

Attached Files:

italiafan likes this.
  14. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    We have Grigio Titanio with Iroko interior on our cali and I saw a Portofino in the same specs the other day and it looked stylish and very upscale, I think I would like it for a Portofino if we were in the market.

Green, then I would like this 488 Pista

italiafan likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I was at the dealer today and my SA and I were playing with configurator. I really love cioccolato and terra bruciata combinations for interior, which is how I specc’d my 812GTS as well. There is a glitch with the configurator so what you see as black will be cioccolato, seat backs will be cioccolato, wheel center caps will be CF, steering wheel will be LEDS but leather wrapped in cioccolato. No CF otherwise inside or outside car—I am over CF. I like the idea of embossed cavallino on seats rather than stitched, classy and understated. Cioccolato piping, stitching in chiaro.
    Oh...and yes...you’re seeing right...brake calipers in gold! :)

Grigio Ingrid with terra bruciata and cioccolato accents.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    #17 SilverLeaf, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Grigio Ingrid is a pretty color, and looks much better in person than it does in the configurator. In the back of my mind, I'd be concerned about finding it boring after a while, but that's only because I had a champagne gold car and found the color too bland after owning it for a few years. Your mileage may vary. In totality, you've spec'd a beautiful build. You have great taste in picking complementary colors.

Truth be told, I'm still stuck on the Rosso Portofino on Ciocolatto combination that you were initially considering, and would likely pick that combo for my own build if I don't go with TDF blue. :) But coming back to your build, I like that you spec'd a two tone interior with the darker hue on the upper portion and carpets - that's exactly the way to do it, IMO. I also like the idea of the embossed horse on the headrest more than stitched.

The only thing that seems off in your spec to me is the Chiaro stitching. There's no hint of blue in the rest of the spec, so it seems like it doesn't complement the rest of the car. On my Porsche 991, I have cream leather and blue stitching, but it works because the exterior paint is blue, as are the upper leather and carpets. So one thing to consider is whether a more complementary piping color (like yellow or beige) would look better, like in the examples I've posted below. For blue threading to really work, I think you'd need some other interior accent element to also be blue to tie it all together. Like the yellow accents in the second interior example shown below.

Actually, the more I look at it, I love the yellow threading and interior accents...it picks up the yellow from the badge, crests, wheels and steering wheel. Put a yellow speedometer in there, and it would all look amazing and very complementary.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

italiafan likes this.
  17. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Stunning! Looks like you had a great time configuring it.

Only thing I would change is no shield on the fenders - keeping it classy and understated ;)

italiafan likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    When I was looking at the sample board for stitching today the Grigio chiaro is an off-white grey color. White was too bold, and the chiaro blended in better, less jarring to the eye.
    Thanks for all your comments! Will be reviewing and thinking over and over...especially since car likely won’t get built until 2nd half of ‘22–I think there are ~16 people ahead of me in line. :)

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks!
    I really thought about the shields and actually spoke to the SA today about them. I’m not normally a “spec for the next guy” sort of guy, but in the US lack of shields can be a real resale killer. I’m on the fence, like 60:40 against shields, but given that I don’t hate them and potential future resale hassles likely will spec them...though that might change.

20. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    You're welcome, and I'm sorry for misunderstanding what you meant by chiaro stitching. In Ferrari speak, I tend to always associate it with the Blu Chiaro paint color. :) I'm not familiar with Grigio chiaro, but it sounds perfect! An off-white grey should complement the paint color and set off the rest of the interior beautifully. You've got great taste.

I know what you mean about the shields. It does seem to be one of the options people look for at resale, and would be a nice element to set off the exterior. Shields are a pricy option for what they are, but then again, most Ferrari options are expensive and you only live once. I'd be inclined to add the shields, but think your car will look gorgeous either way. Good luck in finalizing your spec. Looking forward to seeing the final configuration you settle on.

italiafan likes this.
  21. Oitbc

Oitbc Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Phil Thomas
    Missed most of this convo but one of the chaps in the UK has a Cali T in red with black roof and it looks fantastic and so does the chap who specced the same with his 488. Allows the car to pop and wear lighter colours well without being ‘red red Ferrari over here’

italiafan likes this.
  22. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    This is the only Grigio Ingrid Portofino that I've come across. It's not quite the same as your spec, but hopefully gives you a sense of what the color would look like in person. 2019 Ferrari Portofino - YouTube. It's got the darker wheels and shields, but has a ciocolatto interior.

italiafan likes this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks so much!
    My friend has an Ingrid 488 spider and was giving it a thorough look over yesterday. It is indeed a beautiful color...just wondering if on the Portofino body after a year or two it wouldn’t seem a little plain. I love the cioccolato/terra bruciata interior so continuing to consider exterior colors that are acceptable to that.
    In the running:

Grigio Ingrid
    Celeste Metallic
    Grigio Titanio
    Grigio Ferro
    Rosso Fiorano
    Verde Zeltweg
    Bianco Italia
    Bianco Fuji

24. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    #25 SilverLeaf, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    You're very welcome. Yes, as I'd alluded to in one of my earlier posts, getting bored with the exterior color after a few years would be the biggest concern I'd have with choosing Grigio Ingrid. The interior/exterior combination is absolutely beautiful through, and the good thing is you have some time to think about it before the order window closes.

After seeing the ciocollato interior in the Grigio Ingrid video I posted, I'm re-assessing whether a cioccolato base would be the best choice for Rosso Porfofino. The Terra Bruciata/Cioccolato combination would look much better with just about any paint color, including Rosso Portofino. That was reinforced for me after finding an image from a real car that seems to have virtually the same interior spec that you've settled on. This is perfection.

I was thinking yesterday that Terra Bruciatta/Cioccolato would look fantastic with Celeste Metallic, so it's great to see it's back in the running! :) For what it's worth, my SA steered me away from Rosso Fiorano, saying that he's had clients who have been disappointed upon taking delivery because the color looks more muddy and muted in person than they expected. He suggested that Rosso Portofino is a much nicer metallic red hue, so something to consider.

The only other recommendation I have is to go with a metallic paint rather than a solid color. The Portofino is a big car, with large expanses of metal with subtle curves. The metallic colors tend to accentuate the curves and details better, where as the solid colors make the body look like a blobby mass. So, for example, I would choose Bianco Fuji over Bianco Italia on that basis.

italiafan likes this.