Portofino Magneride & Carbon Fiber wheel w/ LEDs? | FerrariChat

Portofino Magneride & Carbon Fiber wheel w/ LEDs?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dougb450, Aug 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dougb450

Dougb450 Rookie

Jun 8, 2010
    Full Name:
    DougB
    Folks,
    My dealer is telling me that if you want the Magenride Dual Mode Suspension option, you must also take the Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel & LEDs option.
    • Does the "stock" suspension have magnetoreolical shocks or are they just regular, non adjustable shocks? Very little information seems to exist on the Ferrari web site about this stuff.
    • What does one option have to do with the other? Dealer says Ferrari "paired" them, can't split them up.

Anybody hear anything different?

Thanks

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Other US customers who have ordered PFs can comment directly but that sounds bizarre to me. Some car owners simply do not like interior CF treatments or LED steering wheels but can easily afford and want other upgrades like MagneRide and exterior CF.

It's also likely untrue that "Ferrari "paired" them". The factory does not restrict these options. Who may "pair them" is the US distributor for Ferrari - FNA (Ferrari North America). Each geographical distributor comes up with their own selection (offerings) of options and bundles of options. So in other markets, like the UK or France...Germany, they can each offer different bundles of options the factory offers. Some options like heated seats may not make any sense to offer for some locations... like the Middle East.

The factory (Ferrari) has no reason to restrict MagneRide to only cars with CF/LED steering wheels. The opposite is actually true because the cost of MagneRide (which Ferrari has to source from BWI Group, China) for the factory is potentially reduced if more buyers are allowed to include them in their cars.

Ask another dealer, not connected to the one you inquired with.

3. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    My dealer has not indicated to me that I have to order both (although I will be doing so); I had originally planned to get the Magneride shocks but not the CF wheel, and he didn’t say boo.

4. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Ferrari does require dealers to average a high dollar amount of options per vehicle. Perhaps this dealer meets the goal by requiring some expensive options be combined?

5. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    Both are must!

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    True. They usually expect customers to add about $40k in options but this bundling of MagneRide with a CF/LED steering wheel is a bit bizarre and can result in unwanted interior CF.

FWIW, when I ordered my Cali30 I wanted MagneRide, LED steering wheel in leather but my sales guy was unaware that a leather LED steering wheel is possible through the factory's "Tailor-Made" program. So I skipped the LED steering and just bought the MagneRide along with $45k of options. My car has aluminium and cuoio interior, very much like the way Pagani does aluminium and leather interiors of the Zondo and Huayra. To me, that looks much more traditional Italian than CF.

Earlier this year my new service advisor got me a used CF/LED steering wheel and had it recovered in matching leather by a local upholsterer. It looks as good as the "Tailor-Made" version.

vanlierde and XDINO like this.
  7. dr_genious

dr_genious Karting

Dec 20, 2017
    Lucerne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Not true. I have Magnaride and no Carbon...

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have ordered Magnaride and no CF but my allocation is a little while out so its possible they haven't gotten to me yet.

9. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I was told the same by my local dealer/general manager, and he is a pretty straight shooter who does not BS.

XDINO likes this.
  10. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Yes true in the US market. They go hand in hand when I specced my Portofino I had to order both.

11. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I suspect there might be some mis-communication between Ferrari and the dealers. It's likely true that the carbon fiber wheel does require magride (very few cf wheels would be ordered without it so why bother making a wheel without the hole for the magride button). But as we've seen in pictures here there should be no problem ordering the standard bright aluminum wheel with or without magride button

4th_gear likes this.
  12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Eureka!

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I was at Algar Ferrari on Thursday and I am pretty sure I saw a car with the button and no carbon steering wheel.