Portofino Test Drive... | FerrariChat

Portofino Test Drive...

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Cali from CT, Nov 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cali from CT

Cali from CT Rookie

Jun 27, 2018
    Naples, FL
    Had the opportunity to test drive the new Portofino this past weekend. Below are my observations:
    - This car has presence. While I was in the showroom waiting for Portofino to be brought out, I was
    admiring outside a beautiful F12 in Grigio (medium gray). As it turned out, it was the Portofino.
    Standing in front of the car, the new hood looks more masculine / aggressive as does the front
    air scoops. From the rear, the tail lights has been pushed further to the corners creating the
    appearance of greater width. Few, but tasteful, interior changes resulting in a more modern look.

- The car had 20" wheels but, compared to my Cali's 19" wheels, the ride quality was the same.
    Although spring rates are stiffer in the Portofino, I didn't notice any degradation in the ride.

- The new electric steering rack is terrific. Bumps in the road are not transmitted back to the
    steering wheel. While this may disappoint some purists, personally, I much prefer this. Still a
    very fast rack with exceptional turn in. Power steering is not as much boosted as in the Cali
    resulting in slightly, but notably, more weight. And, self-centering of the wheel (compared to
    my Cali) is much better.

- Opening it up, I didn't expect I would feel the 39 extra horses, but from the seat of my pants, the
    Portofino felt faster. Also, the engine seemed a bit more refined. I was shocked at one point to see
    I was in 7th gear at 1100 rpm. I've never seen my Cali below 1600 to 1800 in any gear. Engine
    note was largely the same. I can see a trade-up coming in 18 to 24 months.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2 TheMayor, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Electric steering scares the hell out of me. Probably the worst thing in the Corvette C7.

That doesn't mean Ferrari can't do it better but I really hated it in the Corvette. Not only did it have no feeling, it felt like some programmer decided this was how steering was "supposed to feel".

I would have to test drive one before deciding. These digital computer controlled systems overtaking organic / analogue systems are making cars feel all the same.

Hopefully Ferrari can overcome this.

I understand the engineering advantages of electric steering. But I question if its in the best interest of the driver's feedback.