Portofino vs California T | FerrariChat

Portofino vs California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by inox, Sep 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Are there any California T owners who have updated to Portofino? Or at least test driven the Portofino?

It would be interesting to hear your opinions about the new car. I have read many Portofino reviews by journalists, but they repeat more or less the same information as in Ferrari's press material. I'm a bit sceptical about whether journos do really remember how California T felt years ago when they now get a change to drive the Portofino. I'm not so sure they get a change to drive the old car just before driving the new one.

So, I would like to know things like:

- Does the engine feel more powerful across the rev range? Does it sound better?
    - Can you sense the car is lighter? Does it handle better? How is the steering?
    - Has the wind deflector improved over the old one? Is there now less wind noise when the roof is down?
    - Do you really get 5 cm more leg room at the back due to revised seats?
    - Has the sound system improved?
    - Has the boot increased like some journos claim? Looking at the pics, it seems to me like it is pretty much the same size, but there seems to be less space on the sides next to roof mechanism.
    - Any other improvements or things that might have actually gone worse?

2. Wreck111

Wreck111 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    Hilton Head SC
    Full Name:
    Alan W
    I have driven both the California, own a California T and driven a Portofino.
    Huge difference between the two California motocars. The Portifino feels to me about the same unless you really push it. Since illI never push it to where I could really see the difference it's a mute point. I guess if you're going to track or if you are on the west coast where you can really push it through the mountains sure the Portofino might feel a little bit better but in my neck of the woods I could seldom push it to where it makes a difference.
    Interior Portofino is a little nicer again matter of opinion. Steering maybe a little stiffer. the big question would I spend another $30-$40,000 difference based on what you can buy a 17 California T for. No
    Unless you have money to burn I still think the T it's a good deal for under 200k.

3. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I currently have a Cali T HS and am waiting for a 488 Spyder. I was lucky enough to take an extended test drive of the Portofino. What follows is my opinion:

The Portofino has a nice upgraded infotainment system. The Cali T HS is more of a minimalist but it does your basic directions, streams spotify, and the apple carplay is interesting.

In my opinion, the Cali T HS looks beautiful. Non-Ferrari owners and Ferrari owners alike comment on how beautiful it is. In my opinion the Portofino is more muscle and aerodynamics than beauty. Its similar to shift between the 812 vs the F12, and I like the F12 more than the 812.

The Portofino sounds pretty similar to the Cali T HS. They both sound good. The HS has a special exhaust and my valves are open. It still doesn't sound like the 488.

Idk about the leg room, I'm 6 2 and so I put the seat all the way back. There is probably more leg room.

The Cali T HS steering is pretty good, I prefer it to the Portofino.

I agree with Wreck111, I am not convinced enough to get a Portofino.

crinoid likes this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I think when it comes to these cars Ferrari is walking a fine line. They are GT cars but they are also sporty, but they cannot be real sports cars like the 488. The Portofino has a more updated interior and it may have more torsional stiffness, be lighter, more powerful have bigger (but still mostly useless) back seats, etc, but it still needs to be what buyers want which is a Ferrari you can use (almost) everyday. Spend 4 hours driving a 430 and then spend 4 hours driving a CA/Porto, you will know exactly what I mean. The CA models sold a lot of cars for Ferrari, they are going to mess with the formula too much.

5. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Thanks for the replies so far. And what about audio quality? I read a while ago that Portofino should have at least spec wise a much improved audio system. The one in California hasn't really impressed people with sound quality.

6. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    With regards to your question about the boot space, a lot of journalists have got this wrong.

The California had 340L boot space when roof was closed and 240L when open.

The only Portofino figure I have found is 292L, which I'm sure will be with the roof open. I have seen a number of comparison pictures and, as you have stated, the boot is not as wide in the Portofino.

7. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I assume you meant to say roof closed?

GlowRed likes this.
  8. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I compared images of California and Portofino boots and estimated that widened section in both sides of the California boot (when roof is on) is about 15 cm wide, 40 cm deep and 40 cm tall. This translates to 24 liters per side, totaling 48 liters.

Now, if you add this 48 liters to Portofino's boot size of 292 liters, incidentally you get the boot size of California (340 liters). So my estimates are probably not far off.

California boot (roof on), 340 liters
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Portofino boot (roof on), 292 liters
    [​IMG]

When the roof is lowered to the boot, about 30% of the trunk height is lost. If making percentual calculation based on California's figures, Portofino's (roof down) boot capacity would be 206 liters. However, in California, more space is lost at the sides as the protecting cover mechanism and wings of the cover eat some space. After the cover is lowered, about half of the usable space at the sides is lost. Therefore, Portofino's comparative (roof down) boot capacity would be close to 215 liters.

California boot (roof down), 240 liters

Portofino boot (roof down), 215 liters (estimate)

GlowRed likes this.
  9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well I owned a 17 Cali T HS from new to this past May. I think it sounded great, looked great and really liked it a lot. I got to test drive the Portofino and decided that it wasn't worth spending $275k to get the Portofino so I found a new 2018 488 Spider and bought that. To me, that is the next move up but it also depends on what you are looking for. The 488 is a really good track car, I have had mine at COTA twice now. It is also a good DD but it only has two seats so you lose space to put things like groceries at the store. I don't take it to the store so that isn't a problem.

The 488 sound is sooo much better than either the Portofino or the Cali T HS IMO but the Cali T has more pops and barks the way they set it up. However, the 488 sound is way better than the Cali T when you drive around with the top down. The other benefit on the Portofino is that you can open the top while rolling and the 488 Spider has the same capability. When it comes to handling and speed, I don't think there is that much difference in the Portofino and Cali T HS as I took the Portofino through some curves at speed where I also had driven the Cali T HS many times and I think there was maybe a little oversteer but he car definitely felt less certain in those curves at those speeds. I would have to drive the Porto at the track for a full comparison but the 488 is massively better in corners at the track because it's so much more stable and is lower than the Cali T HS.

Between the Cali T HS and Portofino, you will get more bang for your buck buying the former, IMO.

Here is a revving contest between the Cali T HS and the 488 the day the 488 was delivered.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Plenty of Cali Ts can be had for $150k.....so much going for it at that price.

11. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I actually still miss the cali t hs... So elegantly sporty, with both roof up and down... Yes, for the price, it's a great bargain.

12. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    So basically we can conclude the pros as follows (leaving the styling as personal preference):

California T
    + Steering feedback (hydraulic steering gives better feedback, but weights few kilos more)
    + Smaller width, easier parking
    + Bigger boot
    + Price

Portofino
    + Handling & Performance (less weight, more powerful and responsive engine, more rigid chassis, updated suspension components, more downforce, reduced overall drag despite increased width)
    + Updated navigation and audio systems
    + More efficient air conditioning
    + More leg room at rear seats
    + Roof can be operated while driving
    + Less wind buffeting (when roof open)

13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    it's more than that. The Port feels more playful when driven at 7-8 10ths. I drove out CT back to back with the Port and felt that the driving dynamics were 20% better. It felt like a sports car vs the CT that feels like a GT...the Port felt more like (dare I say) a Ferrari in the sports car sense. With the CT on the Port would oversteer and have way more fun. The CT, not so much.

99.9% of buyer won't ever feel the difference between the CT and the Port. It will come down to aesthetics and money.

Our CT was higher spec vs the Port we drove so to me our CT was 'nicer' interior wise. However, there is no doubt the Port with the same stuff as our CT would be better.

For 150-180 the CT is a walk away no-brainer. You won't be disappointed. There are no other cars for sale that come close. Elegant, fast, fun. Maybe the best overall Ferrari avail.

Well, until the Port. :)

We have a Port on order.

14. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    This guy seems to think Portofino is certainly better than California T.

I liked his fair analysis on what constitutes to make it better.

peppe siciliano likes this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I thought the steering in the Porto was much "tighter" and more direct than in my 2011 Cali. In fact, that was the biggest diff that hit me; full disclosure, my Porto test drive was mostly around town on surface streets. Have not driven a T so cannot say how the steering feels vis-a-vis the Porto...T

16. MRJW

MRJW Rookie

Oct 7, 2016
    Totally agree with that. Steering for me, again based on short launch event drive, definitely fealt tighter, more precise, than my Cali T. More like my 488. But reminded more still of my old 991.1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    CaliTHS was a fun special whip and there are days I miss it and have no idea why I sold it, such is the life of a downtowner with limited garage space. Anyhow I drove the Porto and the CaliTHS back to back and I will say that they are very similar in driving experience but my conclusions are below.. I will definitely grab a Porto at some point but the T-HS or T is the Ferrari bargain right now.

T-HS Win: Sound of exhaust is louder, firmer suspension, interior has more detail, and I prefer the overall shape at some angles.
    Porto Win: Slightly better play and handling (slides more), engine revs faster, better tech, and I love the new steering wheel and controls (like our Lusso), back seats are mini improvement.

18. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    So based on comments here, Portofino's electric power-steering is not as light as some reviewers have said.

Sometimes it is difficult to get truth out from car magazine / YouTube reviewers. As I said, they tend to forget how the previous models actually felt. I was not impressed when some reviewer said that California was not a true Ferrari and how California T was. Of course T got more power and apparently improved in many ways, but at the same time it also lost the famous n/a engine soundtrack.

19. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Keep in mind if a reviewer trashes a car in their review, they won't be invited back by the manufacturer for other cars in the future. This is why the only opinion that matters is yours and you need to determine that on your own.

20. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I dunno. Jeremy and the boys can be pretty doggone harsh.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    But I view them as entertainers, not car experts. But agree, decide for yourself via test drives and with owners.