Possible Causes of Creaking Sound Behind Steering Wheel? | FerrariChat

Possible Causes of Creaking Sound Behind Steering Wheel?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    So Im sure some of you remember when I bought my 575 in november, the car later had an issue with a noise in the 6th gear. I ended up having an amazing tech in Miami diagnose the issue as being caused by the previous dealer not servicing the car properly and leaving it short on gear oil, even though "all fluids changed" was part of my purchase agreement, this shortage was what burned up 6th gear. Through multiple emails back and forth, he got the dealer I bought the car from to take the car back and fix this issue. It took 6 weeks, they put in a new 6th gear and sent me the old one.

From the time I got the car back about a month ago, its been making this creaking noise while driving, I don't feel like even calling the dealer who fixed it the first time bc the shop he uses, although it has amazing reviews on Fchat, they are incredibly mediocre imo and have terrible customer service and the kicker is they're about 120 miles from me. Anyways I just sent the tech who helped me here a video of the sound and I tried to upload it here but it says the file is too big.

What could this creaking noise even be?
    The car never did this before I got it back, could it be the shop put my car back together poorly?
    Have any of you dealt with a noise like this before?
    Fixes?

Hopefully my shop can get me in this week but I just got back from driving it and the noise just doesn't sound right, the car though drives great thats why Im tempted to believe its not a major issue.

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Creaking like "steering rack creaking" or more like "squeaking" as in bushings? Does it creak more going over bumps? Does it creak while driving in a straight line or mostly when steering to the side?

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    When I turn and when driving in a straight line. I dont go over any bumps really. I was able to get an appointment monday morning.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Usually, it is the plastic pieces covering the steering column. Fiddle with those and see if it goes away.