possible to get 4 point seatbelts in the USA? | FerrariChat

possible to get 4 point seatbelts in the USA?

Discussion in '296' started by rxbg, Aug 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    i do not see that in the order guide.

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Code of option in Europe is 4HAN (price without VAT EUR 2,800), maybe it's not homologated in the US...

3. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    thanks!

4. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I see it in the order sheet. First option called 4HAN has mentioned above. US Price is $4,725. Could be removed later when Ferrari is back from their holiday.

5. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I tried everything to get a four point belts for my U.S. Pista. End result no. Because they to not have a auto tightening device upon impact they will not met U.S. regulations. My final no came from FNA. And yes it was on the U.S. option list for my early build.

6. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Did you ever end up looking at it as an aftermarket install?

7. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Everything I have seen in the after market looks either cheap or un safe. Anyone seen something great?

8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Actually was wondering if you looked into ordering the OEM parts for after sales install.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Schroth is the only maker of the 4pt asm belt legal for some track use. There is no dot legal 4pt to my knowledge. What ferrari uses as the one 4pt I have no clue. But if you wanted to use a 4ptconsidered safe and willing to go aftermarket schroth is the one and only. They are pro level makers of racing safety equipment. Their USA importer is HNS Motorsport and you can find more details on their site and by calling them. Also the schroth is about 400 bucks a tenth of Ferrari.

10. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Interested also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Out of curiosity, for all those trying to get a harness, are you doing so because of aesthetics/street feel or are you actually considering tracking the 296 (regularly)? While it may be fun once or twice, I don't know if the 296 would be a good regular track car for many reasons.

12. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Going back many years ago, was hit hard (rear of car pushed all the way to the c-pillar) while sitting at a stop light in a 280SE Mercedes. Grey market car but with the exception of some mandated US EPA/DOT items, the same as the US car - particularly the seats and seat belts. The seats got distorted by the impact and both my wife and I rolled backward due to unequal belt retention over our shoulders with the legal 3 point belt. With a proper 4 way belt, the forces would have been balanced. As an engineer, assume the same statements would hold for a frontal impact.

13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Seat belt design and tradeoffs are more complicated than meets the eye.

14. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I’m considering a 4 point belt and am very interested to know your thoughts on what the trade offs would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #15 SECRET, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Happy to share. Just please note that this is based on my limited time discussing this with some industry professionals familiar with the topic, some experienced race engineers, and my own [amateur] reading. All of this has led me to believe the elements of seat belt design are more complex than is let on by the term "4 point harness" and the idea that they are 'better.'
    • Setup & Pre-tension -- This plays a huge role in how much of an impulse, or short duration, high load, that your body is subjected to. 3 Point belts make tradeoffs between comfort, ease of use, impulse peak energy, and consistency in performance. For the average driver, modern 3 point belts have some pretty cool advancements to ensure the performance standard for safety is as equal as possible regardless of how the belt is clicked in. They are also design to work with airbags to allow the setup to allow the spreading of energy absorption over a longer duration of time. The longer the duration of the impact, the lower the peak load on the body. Alternatively, 4/5/6 point setup and efficacy will be highly dependent upon the driver. Often professionals have race support double checking their belts are properly seated for that reason.

• Intended Use -- Most manufacturers will have a disclaimer of some type indicating that 4/5/6 point belts require the correct installation and usage and could still cause harm to the body in certain crash conditions. There will be conditions where multi-point harnesses perform much better than 3 point seat belts and reduce injury, which is why they exist. Constrastingly, there are countless examples of where 3 points may perform better. An example of a condition where 3 points may be better, depending on the car setup, is in a rollover. In a professional race car, a roll cage that meets strict specifications is required to prevent the roof from collapsing onto the driver. Vehicle setup, harness installation, and secondary accessories like crash nets, rollbar foams, etc alongside proper driver seating is needed to see superior results in 4/5/6 points. In vehicles that do not have all of this, a 3 point belt allows more lateral movement of the body, neck, and head to collapse alongside the roof. If you mix the two and put a harness in a road car, in a roll over, your fully constrain torso cannot move, so your head and your neck are taking the full brunt of the weight of the vehicle collapsing the roof. Other examples include side impact and even frontal impact where energy absorption comes from partial restraint + airbags.

• High Restraint to Unconstrained Areas of the Body: With modern 3 point belts and road cars, there are really interesting advancements that aid in reduction of energy transmitted to passenger. The areas where bodily harm is most extreme is often areas where the body transitions from highly restrained to unrestrained. An example of this is the neck. In multi-point restraints, the torso/thorax is often highly constrained (pretension!), but the head and neck are not. Professional drivers utilize a HANS or Simpson Hybrid device to guard against this -- you can see this everywhere from F1 to IMSA to NASCAR when drivers suit up. On the street, you don't have a helmet so the weight of your head and neck is lower, but the massive difference in constraint still exists. The incredible difference in deceleration that your body experiences in a frontal collision vs your neck and head result in some pretty scary consequences. Again these are generally higher speed risks.
    Anyway, I know there are some really experienced folks on this forum that could probably correct me and/or elaborate.

High level message I've always seens race harness look cool, but may have mixed results in terms of injury prevention and safe saving capabilities in road cars.

16. ezferrari

ezferrari Rookie

Oct 24, 2020
    Just as another datapoint my dealer told me today that the 4 point harness is not available in the US when I went to configure my 296 GTB.

SECRET likes this.
  17. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Another thing to consider with a 4 point seatbelt, is that once it is adjusted, it doesnt have any leeway. The most annoying thing about it is for example when you are merging and need to look back through your side window. you will automatically move your back away from the back rest in order to lean toward the side window. Well you cant do that with a 4 point harness, and need to rely on your neck to get the proper visibility. And even then it wont be anywhere near as good and it does create an additional driving hazard.