Potential California | FerrariChat

Potential California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by remmy, Jun 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. remmy

remmy Rookie

Jun 20, 2018
    Hi all,

This is my first post here, so thanks in advance for your help (and indulgence!). I am posting as I am possibly looking at picking up a California, probably a 2010 or 2011 model, trying to keep it under or around $100K for this one. It will be used as a daily driver. I don't usually buy exotics used, but as this will be a daily (putting on a bunch of miles), I wanted to know the thoughts on using it as such. So my questions really are...

1) Are these models okay going to higher mileages? I'm thinking I'd be putting around 10-15K per year on it.
    2) Would these be eligible for Ferrari's extended warranty? I believe they will warranty up to 15 years even if there has been a gap (subject to inspection), but wanted to check if there were any flags here that the dealer won't tell you.
    3) Has anyone here used theirs on track? I love to go to the track, but as these are 2+2 GT's, I'd love to know if anyone had any thoughts on occasional track use (circuit, NOT drag). I have a bunch of other cars more suited to the track, but I like to have the option to track anything I own!
    4) Any other reasons not to get one of these?

Note that I'm not worried about fuel costs, etc, or most other considerations around a "sensible" daily driver - I know exotics attract attention (and I'm familiar with it from my other exotics, including my 2018 bright orange McLaren that I've put 6500 miles on in 5 months!).

Thanks again in advance for your help!

R.

2. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I have researched Cali's pretty well on here but have not owned one either. But here is the knowledge (or lack of) I have gained from this site:
    1) Not sure what you really mean by "ok" with higher mileage. So my guess is your question is about maintenance issues as mileage increases. If correct, then these cars do not have issues that are mileage related. I see three items to check or be aware of, top operation, DTC issues and motor mounts. These tend to be the ones that get the most complaints. If you get a warranty then no worries. Now see #2.
    2) It is my understanding that almost any newer Ferrari can get a warranty on it. I would highly recommend buying through your local Ferrari dealer or have them do the PPI and offer a warranty to you based on the PPI they provide. Anything else would be a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned. Ferrari of Houston quoted me (last yr) a warranty on a 2011 at $4000 per yr and it would be renewable for up to 5yrs meaning for $20k I could have a zero deductible warranty for 5yrs. After that no warranty would be available. You need to consider this vs rolling the dice on a DTC issue. That is the only real item that can get very expensive depending on who you have looking at it including dealers.
    3) Sure you can drive it on the track and some here have and still do. Considering your other cars that are more track focused you already understand that it wasn't meant for this but neither were most cars you see on a given track day. If your out for fun then it would be even better location than twisty back roads except the scenery never changes.
    4) Can't think of a single reason not to buy since you have other vehicles for other uses. Most come on here and what it to be the everything car which it can or cannot be given mostly unrealistic parameters they put out. You for one did not do that and also understand its only money.

The only other thing I would offer is get the newest possible. I would look for a 2012 as the earliest model cause of documented DTC issues here. Hope my non-ownership view points help and happy hunting.

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I don’t own one yet either but have been “shopping” for a while now. I have driven all 3 versions the California, the California 30 and the California T. My personal favorite of the 3 is the California 30 which are model year 2013 and 2014. There are more and more examples of the California 30 in the 120-130k range then ever, and even a few of those with the handling Speciale package which makes a difference especially if you track it.

To answer your first question I have personally seen one example and seen online for sale 2 other cars with 80k or more miles. So assuming proper maintainance there is no reason these shouldn’t last.

As for #2 Ferrari offers the new power warranty on all cars up to 12 years old. You should however go to Ferrari and read the details of what the warranty covers and understand it as it doesn’t cover everything but from what I understand it does cover the 3 main concerns the DCT the top sensors and the engine and transmission mounts. To add to the above I don’t have the exact chassis number where Ferrari added a secondary heat exchanger to the DCT but it is in mid 2012 sometime. It doesn’t eliminate the DCT issue but it appears it significantly reduced issues. For what it’s worth it also appears that the California t nearly eliminated the problem but you will be paying 150k and up to get into a Cali T. Also some 2013 and 14 models still have remaining free scheduled maintainance, and if financing some portion of the vehicle you will get a better rate on these models over earlier models.

On #3 remember that these cars can be tracked and some here have and posted results. But be aware that carbon ceramic brakes are standard on the California and will wear much faster on the track and are quite expensive to replace. Only mention this so you can look at prices of components and educate yourself to the added cost to replace to your maintainance routine.

#4 there is no reason to not get one if you can afford it and the required maintainance that goes along with the vehicle. They are very nice cars and in my humble opinion get a bad rap as a woman’s car. They are more useful as a daily driver, and very roomy and comfortable. Plus they have more ground clearance then the sports cars Ferrari makes so you should scrape the nose less. The back seats are almost useless especially behind the driver. And while it will still get attention it will get less then say any of the other models Ferrari makes. To me that is a plus since sometimes the attention you get in a Ferrari on the freeway is sometimes dangerous.

Several of the members here drive theirs quite often and appear to love them. I have rented them often and on vacations to Vegas to see family with my wife is the car we now rent albeit the T version. If you can I suggest you try to drive all 3 examples as close together as you can so you can see and feel the differences for your self.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Oh and I forgot to mention while the DCT issue is something to be aware of there is no guarantee it will happen to any of the California models and you shouldn’t be turned off by the possibility. At first I was worried about it but having talked to several people and some Ferrari techs I’m not overly concerned about it now.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You have excellent posts that pretty much nailed your Q&A. I will add that there are several F-chatters who have run up tons of miles on their Calis. I also recall a post by our Ferrari service director saying that more than a few people in the Metroplex use theirs as DDs. We're closing in on 18K miles on our '11 Cali (~13K miles of those are ours) and I think it would be a great DD apart from any concerns one might have about unwanted attention and angst over leaving it parked out of sight. If attention is a concern then find a nice model w/o shields and in a more neutral color. The vast majority of people have no idea I'm driving a Ferrari. The biggest give away for me are those bright yellow shields when they pull up next to you at a stop light. Above and beyond the attention, for me, the deciding factor would be the nature of the commute. If it's boring, stop & go interstate traffic, I'd get something more utilitarian. If there is a nice fun road you can take to get to work, F-car all the way. baby! :)

Several here have reported tracking their Calis and it seems to have acquitted itself well. I've had mine on the track once. It was fun. I, not the car, was definitely the major factor limiting performance!

For question 2), I would reach out to Steve Fordham, who is a contributor here (SAFE4NOW), who can give you the low-down on warranties and such.

Good luck in your hunt. Post up some pics when you find "the one"...T

6. remmy

remmy Rookie

Jun 20, 2018
    Thanks all for the comments! My first question was definitely around reliability in high mileage. You see so many Ferrari's with such low miles I wasn't sure how well these would do long term when getting to 80-100Kmiles.

I do still need to test drive a few, though need to find some time too! I definitely want to get one with warranty as I am wary of all exotics, since the cost to repair a major issue (like DCT or engine) can be substantial. However, limiting myself to main dealers is going to challenging since I see so many for private sale or at independent dealers (and the selection at a main dealer seems to be thin, especially in the SF Bay Area). I'm not sure how off-putting requiring a PPI before purchase is to a third-party. However, I'm not going to open myself up to risk, so I guess if they don't want to do it, then no deal ;)

Thanks again!

R.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^You sounds like you have a great plan. Circumstantial evidence here at F-chat suggests that letting the car sit is also a problem - seals dry out, batteries discharge, electronics get gremlins, etc. So, I would not worry about over usage.

Let me ask you this question, since it sounds like you're in the Bay Area, and when I've been there traffic always seems to be a nightmare near SF/Oakland. Will you be able to enjoy your commute in a Cali if you're routinely stuck in a lot of traffic. Now, of course, if your commute is north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County, then the Cali would be an awesome way to get to work!

Additionally, I would not limit myself to your immediate area. I bought mine from a dealer in Connecticut, Miller.
    Getting a car shipped is fairly easy. Many threads here on that...T

8. remmy

remmy Rookie

Jun 20, 2018
    Hi Tom,

I'm actually slap bang in the middle and commute from the south bay to the peninsula. However, I don't have to commute during rush hour - my schedule is flexible - so I won't get stuck too much. However, yes, the commute can be boring up 101, though I can mix it up by taking 280 - a much more scenic route, although longer. Also, on the way back, if I want, I can take Skyline which is an amazing hour long drive through twisty roads on a mountain ridge, passing by the iconic Alices Restaurant @ Woodside/La Honda. Again, longer, but worth it on occasion!

Thanks!

R.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^That all sounds like a bunch of decent roads to enjoy a Ferrari to /from work. Best of luck in your hunt...T

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Most of the third party dealers that are good have no issue with ppi in my experience and those that won’t allow a ppi are generally skipped. And Ferrari will sell you a new power warranty weather or not you buy your Ferrari at a Ferrari dealer or not as the car still needs to pass the inspection to qualify for the new power warranty. And assuming a private seller is ok with a ppi that’s not entirely a deal breaker. Though I think I would look at Ferrari dealer first then a reputable independant dealer then a select car from private party if all else fails.

Just a quick look shows 5-6 cars on car gurus at Ferrari dealers at around 110k or less and 2 of those were under 100k. Honestly prices are up right now and should start sliding a bit after September and nobody knows what the arrival of the portofino will do to the prices. Good luck, perhaps if you get away to Vegas you can rent a Cali t and spend some real time behind the wheel of one and go from there. The cost of one for a day is rather affordable really.