Potential f355 F1 owner. Please give input. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Potential f355 F1 owner. Please give input.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Busjunky, Jun 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well given the mileage of the car and f1 it’s currently what it is. Bought my manual spider last year for 69k red/tan 30k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Well, spoken like a guy that's never driven a properly operating 355 F1.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

What are u on about?
    We are talking market values. I’m not saying one is better than the other. U are insecure and sensitive about something that wasn’t even said lol
    Market ,not me, is valuing currently higher manual cars. Period end of the story. Stop picking fights where there are none to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Picking fights? Tad sensitive son?

I simply responding and pointing out the F1 experience that seems largely overlooked by certain people here.....

5. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Skippr1999, steved033 and Qavion like this.
  6. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Cars running good again, but the new 360 F1 pump that was installed is not communicating with the TCU. I’ve made a appointment with Earl at North Coast Exotics. Hopefully get the pump married to the tcu and go for a cruise.
    I couldn’t find a wiring diagram online to make sure all the F1 plugs are plugged into the correct locations. The pump doesn’t kick on at all. I figured it would at least cycle, but the parameters would be off a little.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    From memory the polarity of the 360 F1 pump is the opposite to the plug on the existing harness. I had an issue and we swapped the positive and negative over and it was working.

Busjunky likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the F1 wiring diagram are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/G8xNK1LblxWN65ZP

Another version:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/CRrredzMXicnNmYk

Links expire in 6 days.

Faulty pressure sensor?
    Blown pump fuse?
    Faulty pump relay? You can jumper the relay if you think it's the relay.

Does the car have an upgraded Scud-Ing relay?

Busjunky likes this.
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    the 360 F1 pump does not fit directly on the 355. It needs tweaking....

Busjunky likes this.
  10. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    This was the exact issue. It kept blowing the 40amp fuse in the passenger footwell. I isolated the pump and was able to cycle it with a jumper. After that it would go into gear. But if plugged the motor back in it blew the fuse again. I tested the plug and realized it was backward to the pump. I made a quick pigtail harness and bam! It works! I was able to drive the car. Reverse, neutral, 1st and 2nd work. It won’t shift above 2nd. But if I run 2nd gear to like 7000rpm then pull it into neutral, then put it back in gear it goes to 6th. From there I’m able to downshift thru every gear. But then the process repeats itself.

The clutch disc needs replaced or resurfaced. The clutch is slipping, but I already knew this as that’s the reason the PO replaced the F1 pump. It just needed a clutch. He replaced the wrong item. He did it while the car was in 1st gear. At which point he wasn’t able to restart the car. It sat 5 years. Now I’ve got it running again and partially sorted. I think with a new disc and SD2 tune on the F1 system and it’ll be good to go.

MAD828 likes this.
  11. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Thanks for the links! I did make a jumper, but was able to figure it out. I do plan to upgrade the relay to the newer 50amp unit. Seems the relays can blow and leave the pump running till it’s fired. Don’t need that happening. Cheers! Dave.

Qavion likes this.
  12. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    It sure does!! I fabricated a bracket for the pump and rattle canned it flat black. Everything’s working. But I will need to sort the plug for the motor as right now it’s pig tailed together. Thanks!
    Dave.

13. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    So give us an updated on the car..how did things work out?

14. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    After I got the F1 pump sorted I was able to drive the car. I put a few miles on it, but the clutch was slipping under WOT. Which is the reason the po decided to replace the pump in the first place.

I ended up removing the clutch and found everything was in good shape. The flywheel was resurfaced and the pressure plate was new. The disc was worn to about 7mm. I ended up just replacing the disc. After I got it back together, it fails to engage gear. For a moment I thought the disc wasn’t the right replacement. So I sent the original one out to be restored. After I got that back and installed it, the same thing happened. It’ll attempt to engage the gear, the car kinda shutters 2-3 times then returns to neutral.

I had planned to take it directly to Cleveland to have the PIS recalibrated after I replaced the clutch, but now that it doesn’t drive, it’s just sitting. So as of now I’m not doing anything with it. When I get a chance I’ll load it up and haul it to Cleveland to be looked it. Which I didn’t want to do, I wanted to drive it there then drive it home. I don’t really want to leave my car up there. It’s my thought that the sensor that reads clutch position is off.
    I’m a little frustrated with it to he honest. Had I know the clutch was at 7mm. I would of just drove it up and had it reset in the first place. 7mm seems like a lot of clutch life left to me. I’ve tried the WSM PIS reset procedure to no avail. I’m not certain I’m doing it 100% correctly either.

Tarek307 likes this.
  15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If I understand correctly the clutch is within mechanical specs
    If this is true you should be able to reestablish the PIS because the car does this each time you drive it.
    I think you may have Air in the clutch System.
    Bleed the system first

16. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    A lot of threads say you must have a sd2 to bleed it. A lot of other threads people say you don’t. I’ve got a really nice vacuum bleeder. The large canister type. I’ve used it on some Carrera 4 awd systems to bleed them. It worked just fine. They say only the Porsche tool can do it. Anyhow, I’ve used this and it seems I’m getting straight fluid. I’ve done it several times to be honest. But having air is the only logical explanation I can come up with at this time. The car ran and drove fine prior to this.
    When I first installed the new disc and it didn’t go into gear, I removed the disc and put the original one back in(before I had it restored) and the car drove. Everything was good. So I sent that out to be redone, then it ended up doing the same thing. There’s only been a few scenarios in my life when I was unable to figure something out with any of my cars. This being one of them. I’ve got an idea I’m gonna try tomorrow. I’ll have my wife start the car and attempt to engage 1st gear, except I’ll be at the back with the bleeder open. Once it cycles the fluid I’ll close it immediately. Try that a few times and see what it does. ‍♂️

Tarek307 likes this.
  17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Cycling power to the f1 plug at the back will do the same thing with a jumper

18. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Yeah that’s how I figured out the 360 pump had reverse polarity. That’s the reason the car sat for 5 years prior to me getting. I’m out in the shop now. I’m gonna try it now.

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Your symptoms sound like an issue that my old 355 was having before I sold it. The new owner resolved it by tracking down what was either a check valve or something that failed. I also had the 360 pump upgrade and was running some Hill Engineering parts....I can't recall what it was now, but it was a Hill Engineering part that failed. Was cheap to fix once he figured out.

This might not be of much help, but just throwing it out there.

20. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    I cracked the bleeder open on the clutch housing and then ran a rubber line from the nipple to a bottle. Made a jumper and cycled the pump. No fluid came out ‍♂️

21. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    The check valve at the quick disconnect? This may explain why my fluid is not coming out. Hmm.

22. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Haha. I literally just copied the thread from the guy who bought your car. Upon watching his videos, it seems this could be my problem. My pump runs in tug exact same manner your car was before it was fixed. Hot damn! I feel like I’m on to something. Now I just gotta order the part. Heres the old thread. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f355-f1-issue-solved.607007/

Tarek307 likes this.
  23. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Beauty! Yep, that's the thread right there.

He recently sold the car to Roy at Cats Exotics. It was a great high miler that had a thick binder of records...I probably shouldn't have screwed around with the F1 system "upgrades" as much as I did in hindsight hahah.

24. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    I need this female quick disconnect. The spring loader doesn’t return. I’m sure this plays a major role in my clutch fluid pressure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Doing what I said is a two person job as you only have a few seconds or at least that’s how I did it