PPI needed | FerrariChat

PPI needed

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Weaselwee, Mar 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Car is located 25 miles north of Baltimore. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Minico

Minico Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2004
    Md.
    Competizione 301-977-9484. F-Chat sponsor

3. DetailGuy

DetailGuy Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It would probably help more if you post more details such as car, dealership, listing, etc..

4. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    and you can tow it over for him.

5. Minico

Minico Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2004
    Md.
    with care of course.

6. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Jim, sent you a PM

7. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Why would you drag a car from Baltimore to the DC Suburbs for a PPI when there is a terrific shop that knows these cars well right in north Baltimore = Radcliffe Motors 410-517-1681?

8. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    More experienced, factory trained mechanics come to mind. then there is the better equipment, larger shop and chance to see some really rare cars.

9. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    Because they have a better automated espressso and cappacino coffee machine and some really nice, rare eye candy to look at while you wait <grin>

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Ed, buddy, you are way out of line w/ that one. Why the need to **** on Garre's shop?? Has he done work on your car? why do you feel you have any standing to dis his business in this way?

We are extremely blessed to have two great shops in our region independent of FNA. There's room for both of them. I've talked at length w/ Richard C, and his old man assisted my old man w/ the Mondial magnesium issues. I have nothing but respect for Competizione and have no doubt whatsoever that they are as premium a shop as everyone here says.

That said, I do my own work, but the few times I've had something stump me, I've had Garre work on my car w/ fantastic results. I've known him for a long time, when he was w/ Chuck and Kendall. He also services other f-chatter's/FCAer's needs around here such as Sam Smith's, Mark Dempsey's and Michael Bayer's and we have nothing but rave reviews for Garre.

The point of Bayer's post is that Garre's shop can't be more than a few minutes from a car located in "north Baltimore" for something like a PPI - he did one on my car in December for a potential buyer.

so can we all live and let live??

11. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    A simple question was asked. I simply answered it with the truth. I mentioned no shop name. If people don't want their questions answered honestly, they shouldn't post them in an open forum. If you believe i have lied or exaggerated in my response, i would be glad to retract. Sorry this is such a touchy subject for you and Micheal, but i think my response was fair. He asked why you would tow your car over to competizione instead of garre's shop. I answered why i would do that. What's wrong with that?

12. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I think you're being dishonest if you don't construe your post as a put-down of Garre's shop. You're not known for mincing words.

on the other hand, I'm on crutches, cranky and fresh out of vicodin

13. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    #13 wetpet, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    no, i was defending competizione. never mentioned garre. how come you don't think michael is putting down competizione? let's be fair. I've got vicodin, come on over.

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I think we've both said our piece.

I'm gonna need percs and jack . . .

15. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    A vicodin party! : those things always end in one of two ways. 1) either someone totals their car on the way home, or 2) some chick claims she got molested but cannot remember by who

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    ed - I almost forgot; check out the steering wheel thread in Vintage for a shout out

17. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    I'm shooting for #2

18. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Your point that it is worth an extra $225.00 for the round trip lift from North Baltimore for a simple PPI for your extras: eye candy, cappuccinos, more square footage, adoring fans? I thought he was in search of a simple PPI, a basic dollars and cents issue, if he needs all those extras then he should go to Chuck Wray's shop, there to see the real eye candy, huge square footage and get his car worked on by world class talent. Its where the serious collectors go to have their cars serviced. M

19. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the info. Car may have been sold.
    I will let you know how it turns out.

Jim

20. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    I see you missed my main point about the experience of the mechanics and their superior equipment. By your logic he should take it to the closest shell station. Whatever. Chuck is doing ppi's for walk ins now? I'll have to call them for my next oil change.

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    and I see you missed my main point re: your lack of standing to make such a statement (again) re: the relative experience of the mechanics and the quality of the work of the two shops.

I have no doubt that the work from Competitizone is exceptional. I've been there and seen it w/ my own eyes. Here's a news flash; so is Garre's. I would never, ever publicly say anything derogatory, even in what you think is an innocuous way, about Competitizione when they had never worked on my car. I wish you would afford Garre the same courtesy.

Bottom line is that we are lucky to have two great, qualified shops independent of FNA to work on our cars. To each his own.

I thought you were bringing me (legal) drugs??

22. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    My point exactly.

23. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    #23 wetpet, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    and michael's "standing" to ask why you wouldn't want to take your car the extra 30 miles to competizione? remember that i was answering his question and i have good standing to do so. I gave him the reasons to drive that extra 30 miles based on my experience. certainly you are not saying the mechanics at garre's shop are more experienced or have better equipment than competizione? i don't need to get my car serviced there to know that. In fact, i don't get my car serviced there for that very reason. I have never said a word about the quality of the work at garre's shop, not sure where you got that. I don't know anything about that. remember who started this gentleman, not me. i never even mentioned any shop before michael took his jab. come on, you can't have it both ways, neither of you guys have had work done at competizione, but you dis me because i haven't had work done at garre's? The simple fact is, what i said is true. If you guys dispute that, go ahead. But leave the personal attacks aside.

P.S. to richard garre- don't let these guys make you think i'm on some campaign to dis your shop. I'm not. I was drawn into this. I don't know you, have never been to your shop and have never posted an opinion about your shop. I simply answered a question asked on an open forum with the truth as i know it. I wish you well in your endeavor. Although i am not a spokesman for competizione and shouldn't be mistaken for that, i can tell you that they are swamped with work and are in no competizione with you. There is plenty of work to go around and i think it is great that car owners have choices, specially since fow is in the toilet. I'm starting to get the feeling that your cheerleaders doth protest too much though.

24. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    AGAIN FOR A SIMPLE PPI WE OUGHT TO GIVE A BUYER THE BEST ADVICE WE CAN, WHICH IN THIS CASE, WHERE THE CAR WAS VERY NEAR TO A COMPETENT SHOP, THAT OUGHT TO BE A CONSIDERATION, AS THE COST OF TRAILERING IS NOT INCONSEQUENTIAL. I HAVE OFTEN SUGGESTED GUYS CONSIDER BOTH SHOPS, FOW AND CHUCK WRAY'S DEPENDING ON THE WORK INVOLVED. I HAVE BEEN TO THEM ALL AND MANY IN SOUTHERN CAL AND THROUGHOUT THE NORTHEAST, EVERY ONE HAS THEIR STRENGHS. I FIRMLY BELIEVE THERE IS NO ONE BEST SHOP. THIS MY LAST COMMENT.

25. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #25 Bryanp, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    cheerleading? that's a pretty pot-meet-kettle comment, my pom-poms are put away, ed

now when can we hear about your traffic bust in the Fiat 500?? high-speed chase?