News

Pre-owned. How many owners are too many?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jjmalez, Jun 17, 2020.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Hello,

Looking at a couple Ferrari's in my price range. (348-360) Question, how many previous owners are too many?

Found a nice looking 348. Carfax lists eight previous owners. Yes the car is 26 years old. But eight owners?

I see this regularly in the 348/355/360 market.

Joe

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Joe. If it looks nice, drives nice, and the PPI checks out alright, who cares how many owners. They aren’t driving it, YOU will be.

LARRYH, Robb, 3POINT8 and 4 others like this.
  4. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yeah key is professional PPI and (if available) a review of the maintenance records, and if possible a conversation with 1-2 prior owners. Eight feels like a lot but many owners of occasional use cars run through a lot of them. Doing these things should provide reasonable assurance there isn't some underlying issue causing the sales. (Also, I have also seen Carfaxes that look like multiple owners when it is sometimes the same owner moving and re-registering in a new state.)

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    How does it look right now. Mine had like 6-8 owners 10 years ago, I still bought it and she's been PERFECT. You ask about the owners to get an idea about the condition of the car when you buy it... why not do a PPI before you buy it... to get an idea about the condition of the car?

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fewer is better but Ferrari owners tend to be a fickle lot and always looking to move on to another car. I did that myself in my early days of Ferrari ownership. Over time, I've kept them for longer periods. I would recommend doing as much research as possible to see if there are chronic issues but barring that, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Dave

Husker, jjmalez and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    A lot of these cars had multiple (2-5) owners in their first couple of years. This was back in the days when a current model (or one iteration old) car in hand was worth significantly more than its MSRP. I would say that the import thing to look at is how many owners in the past 5 years.

LARRYH and technom3 like this.
  9. technom3

technom3 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes. This makes alot of sense.

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Exactly.

11. Husker

Husker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Buy for condition and records.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Mesa, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Robb Williamson
    Right, buy something special that has been well maintained. Number of owners really isn’t a worry. Was it a Vegas rental car? That would be more of a worry...

Robb

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    I like this for an approach....for a 25 year old car, maybe go back and look for 10 years of stable ownership. Another concern is miles over time. It could have had just 1 owner the last 10 years, but if he only drove it 1,000 miles during that period I would be concerned.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Four Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Gerald Rouse of Ferrari Market Letter fame used to say only three things mattered when buying a used Ferrari: (1) Condition, (2) Condition, and (3) Condition. What happened before was not relevant. His specific reference was to vintage Ferraris. If you're looking a 275 GTB, for example, what difference would it make if the car was previously crashed beyond recognition. All that matters today was how well the car was repaired.

I think the same holds true for newer Ferraris. I would only buy a "known car," where you know what has happened and what repairs have been done. Buying an unknown car is not for me.

ssgharkness020147, Shark01 and Zanny1 like this.