Pricing advice for a 87 328GTS | FerrariChat

Pricing advice for a 87 328GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by msouza, Oct 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    I'm looking for a pricing advice on a 1987 328 GTS with 63K miles. This is not a show car. It does has several chips and scratches on the paint. The windshield has a repaired rock chip. Interior is in fair condition, no rips or tears. Car has all the original manuals, the tool kit and jack. It has no maintenance records, but I know the last major service was done 6 years ago. It also needs new brakes pads and a new clutch. Car runs good and strong. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Sounds like a good parts car.

30 grand at best.

3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    LOL.

$50k feels like a good asking price. Maybe a little higher if you would like to see what it would get ($55k) or a little lower if you want the car to move ($47k).

-F

4. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I think this is very optimistic.

The car description is a no.4 by hagerty standards.

One can only assume that with no service records, the car in question needs more than a belt service. It would be safe to assume that the hoses, fuel lines were not changed in 2008 when the car was 20 yrs old , therefore it's now a stick of dynamite in the back ;)

Not to be offensive, but the description without pictures leaves much to the imagination , especially since the windshield could, or could not need replacing. I could go on,but I won't.

Price Guide Report

5. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    Agreed, do the needed service work and it would be a 3 and $35-40K... do nothing and you have to find an unknowing buyer to get $25-29K

6. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Perhaps. I'm just shooting from the hip based on what I know of the market. Maybe it's skewed because only higher rated cars have been hitting the market, good condition, lower miles, recent service. And these prices are from dealers who are able to do the work before the car hits the market.

Fair enough. Let's say $15,000 to make it right in the engine bay. Belts, clutch, brake pads, fluids, hoses.

So I guess the OP can ask $45,000, with the service needed, or get the service done and ask $60,000, which is not too crazy high given the market.

And there is the cosmetic stuff which can be detailed for another few grand.

So yeah, maybe my estimate was a little on the high side. So hey, get the service done, detail the car, and ask $57k-$60k. Or do nothing, ask $47k and see what happens.

-F

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Furmano, I don't think we are that far off -

328 Gts's are not rare.....money is rare ;)

8. PollosHermanos

PollosHermanos Karting

Sep 25, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Apparently you'd be lucky to give it away before it explodes. So maybe donation to Kars 4 Kids?

I'd say 55-ish. If in a hurry high 40's.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    How about donating it to the local school and they can raffle off $100 tickets for 500 tickets at a total of $50,000. Then, you write off your $50,000 tax deduction for a benefit of $30,000 assuming you're in the 60% total tax bracket.

10. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Now there’s a oxymoron – “needs brakes and clutch … runs strong”. 63K miles, paint needs work, windshield replacement, interior fair (needs replacement) , and no service records . Plus it needs a complete service including all belts and hoses, not to mention tires. And I bet the AC is not quite pushing cold air…. It takes a lot of money and labor to bring a Ferrari from a #4 to a solid #2.
    Sounds like a below $30K car to me.

11. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    It's so funny how these discussions go! On the one hand everyone is touting the "new era" of much higher 3x8 prices. And on the other, every car that is honestly described seems to be a $20k car. There has to be some middle ground that represents reality.

One other observation: if you post photos here that don't show grey primer or a car up on blocks, the comments are all "Great Looking Car! GLWS!!!" But an honest description with no pics brings "sell it for scrap." Again, is there a middle ground?

12. PollosHermanos

PollosHermanos Karting

Sep 25, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Fortunately we have the incredible beauty of the marketplace to separate the wheat from the chaff. List it for sale at a high price and see what happens.

13. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Not sure how 30 grand is considered scrap. Last time I checked, 30k is good money.

Have you even priced out what a windshield is on a 328 ? The OP has an honest description, and he is getting honest feedback, amped a hagerty assessment as benchmark.

If this car was described like this 4 yrs ago, it would certainly be a 20k car at best. I suggest a bit of research with work hours and parts prices to determine how much money it actually takes to bring a car back.

As mentioned in the post above you, bring a no.4 car to no 3 or no.2 will take Some serious money in the Ferrari ....no black magic here , just parts and labour facts.

He should list in the mid /high 40s to see what the feedback is,but really be prepared for the first digit being a 3

14. PollosHermanos

PollosHermanos Karting

Sep 25, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    That's a complete load of BS. Price it like you want and let the haters hate.

15. bertrand59

bertrand59 Guest

Jun 13, 2011
    Lille, france
    Full Name:
    bertrand
    Do you know serial number of this car ?

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There's a big spread between the pristine 328s going for six figures, and nice drivers.

There isn't as much middle ground as you might think.

17. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #17 furmano, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This. The spread is pretty wide right now.

Below are some screen shots of a Vast - Search Millions of Cars, Vacation Rentals & Homes for Sale search of Ferrari 328. Many of the adds are old but it gives a little insight as to what the market is, or maybe was 6 months ago. Maybe it's not an accurate representation because many of the adds are old but it's a starting point.

BTW, this search was sorted by price, low to high and this just shows the cheaper half of the search. There are many cars that come up with a higher price point (+$45,000).

So yeah, maybe this car is a bit doggish and needs a lot of work to bring it up to a $60,000 price point.

-F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The couple cheap ones are well below the next tier of $38k. Seems like they'd be salvage or fraud at that rate.

19. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yeah, I figured there was something weird with those cars but I kept them in the search. And like I said, many of those cars have been sold for some time. I just thought it was at least a starting point to get the discussion going.

-F

20. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #20 jmaz, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I purchased an '86 328 GTS last month with 67,XXX miles on it. It has service records dating back to the mid-90's and last major was done 8 years ago with not many miles done since. Tires are good with lots of tread but 8 years old.

Body is straight with "normal" chips, interior is fairly clean with one seat tear that I need to address with good leather otherwise and I need to replace the cloth in the rear window area. Has all tools and books. Runs strong. Brakes good. Overall I'd rate this car a 3 with the potential to go to a "high mileage" 2 with some time and money invested. I paid $37,500. Several other owners that have looked at the car have indicated that I bought it below value and I agree.

Based on the limited information that you have posted and with prices on these cars rising, I would price yours in the mid to high $40's range ($47 - $49K) and expect it to sell not too far off that mark.

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hell, adding R12 to TrojanFan 328 alone adds ... $1000 to the value.

23. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yeah, I think those cars, and others, have skewed my sense of the market because they are generally in good condition, have up to date service, and sometimes, though not always, low miles. And they are being offered for $60k+.

So when a car with so-so condition and a lot of deferred maintenance comes on the market, the price should be adjusted down accordingly.

-F

24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've looked at several 328s recently. I'd say from your description, and assuming it's red, it would sell for the upper 40's if you have the major done, detailed with paint correction, and the windshield replaced. Without those items being addressed I think it's a $40k car.

25. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Many of those ads are more than just old...they are ancient.

I chased a couple of those almost 2 years ago....